Australian Bicycle Insurance

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Bicycle Insurance

Postby merlin6014 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:16 am

Aushiker wrote:Pretty pointless insurance if your plan is to be protected when you are actually using your bicycle. I would stick to using your savings to pay for your Velosure insurance :wink:
Andrew

Yes thats what I've done - I have Velosure AND Coles home insurance.
merlin6014

by BNA » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:26 am

BNA

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:26 am

merlin6014 wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Pretty pointless insurance if your plan is to be protected when you are actually using your bicycle. I would stick to using your savings to pay for your Velosure insurance :wink:
Andrew

Yes thats what I've done - I have Velosure AND Coles home insurance.

Yep I know that, however, I don't believe it is necessarily the the best option ... there are competitors out there that provide household cover and bike insurance (in use/racing) that are likely to be better priced. I know that I have minimum contents insurance and my bikes (four) covered without the Velosure hassle for less than what Velosure charge to just insure the bikes. My case may not be the norm because of the four bikes but even testing the option with one bike I am still pretty much in front IIRC.

I just cannot see the point in having to have two insurance polices and to deal with two insurance companies and possibly find myself fighting for coverage in the case of a loss where they both cover the same event (read a claim form ... you often are asked about other cover).

Not the best option in my view. YMMV of course.

Andrew

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Agree with the above... Double coverage can present nightmares in terms of loss and who's liability it is...
Dr_Mutley

Postby merlin6014 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Not arguing but velosure for me is 200p.a, coles home insurance is 1000p.a. How would velosure even know i also have home insurance? If double cover is an issue i can just remove the bike from my coles policy, it costs nothing anyway.

Not sure how i can do better when gio was 2400p.a plus extra $$$ to list the bikes. By all means i am open to stories/other experiences.
merlin6014

Postby skull » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:28 pm

merlin6014 wrote:Not arguing but velosure for me is 200p.a, coles home insurance is 1000p.a. How would velosure even know i also have home insurance? If double cover is an issue i can just remove the bike from my coles policy, it costs nothing anyway.

Not sure how i can do better when gio was 2400p.a plus extra $$$ to list the bikes. By all means i am open to stories/other experiences.

That is cheap

velosure is $75 a month for me ( 2 bikes and a set of race wheels - value about 12k)
velosure is $12 a month for wife (1 bike)
contents is $200 a month (also includes 2 cars worth $45k and $12k)

I am thinking of dumping the bike insurance for the wifes bike and my mountain bike.
skull

Previous

Return to General discussion