Morning-Ton Sportive

yarravalleyplodder

Morning-Ton Sportive

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:26 pm

After the Bendigo Belter we have the Morning-Ton Sportive as the next wiggle ride

I would like to see the course map but this could be fun

http://www.this link is broken/wiggle-cyclings ... pic-route/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

jamesn184

Re: Morning-Ton Sportive

Postby jamesn184 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 pm

I'd be up for that one.. 3000ft of climbing... sounds interesting

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:15 pm

3000ft is less than 1000 metres but considering the elevation profile on the Bendigo Belter they gave out was about 1000m and I ended up doing over 1700m its anyone's guess what it will actually be. Hopefully they get a better turn up this time or it may be the last one they do. For $50 you cant get much better value. Odd starting point in relation to where the climb is, keen to see a map also.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:32 pm

Emailed limelight sports who run these rides on behalf of Wiggle and there is yet to be a route finalised. Say they will send to me when they have it, I'll post it up when/if it comes.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 am

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Epic not so epic at only 138km?

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:23 pm

I think the word Epic is just the terminology Wiggle are using to classify their longest ride option (a la small, medium, large)....but it is a bit disappointing that there's only 23km's difference between the standard and epic options yet 50km's difference between fun and standard.
Perhaps the routes should have been 60, 110 and 160km's (being the imperial "ton" of 100 miles, or thereabouts).

They've also advertised the epic ride as 155km's but the route shows as 138km (according to the attached link).

Still, I wonder if they'll get a bigger turn-out for this event. If not I wonder how many more they'll organise here if attendances are low.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:37 pm

That elevation is out of whack, I rode a 105km loop on the southern sections of those roads a couple of weeks ago and pulled over 1400metres gained.

North bound along Coolart Road to Mt Eliza is also an interesting choice ... :shock:

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:15 am

I think they've emailed me the wrong link for the epic, this is the one off their site http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/157033527/. Only reasons I can think of for 2 routes being made up is the Esplanade from Mornington to Dromana is currently blocked off due to a landslide and the detour is up about an 8% hill, road is supposed to be fixed early Feb. The company organising these rides is letting Wiggle down badly, firstly they advertise the ride 2 months out yet dont have a route sorted until nearly a month later, second is some of the standard route involves about a 2 km section of gravel road (I let them know, see what happens). Even if they take the Esplanade route its not a great road for group rides and is signed 'cyclists single file only' and then it detours through Martha Cove rather than just go straight under the bridge.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:07 am

Well this time around the event was a lot more thought out with in terms of the feed stations which was needed since it was around 31 degrees

Most actually had other stuff like coconut water, Anzac biscuits, banana bread.
The epic course was about 138km with 1880m climbed (according to my Garmin)

Hplace

Postby Hplace » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:01 pm

are there any results for this ride yet?

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:55 am

Results here. http://www.tomatoresults.com.au/default ... &RId=28062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My view. Did the Epic, felt jibbed about the distance but got over it about 70k's in when my Garmin was saying 38 degrees. The course. I didnt like the climb 5k's from the start and neither did my hamstrings about halfway up. Still poor numbers but slightly better than the Bendigo ride. First feed station at about 45k's was not even set up they were still putting up the shade tent and everything was still on a truck so I kept on going. Got back to Arthurs Seat rd where the next fluids station was with both bidons empty, luckily they had gels and stuff as well because I didn't bring any with me thinking I'll pick them up at the feed stop. The next feed station was set up on the side of a roundabout on Coolart rd in the blazing sun with no shade and the water being boiled by the heat, I just shook my head in disbelief. I agree there was more marshalls and stuff on the road turn offs and the start/finish area was better organised, but its not a patch on a Supersprint ride. Im doing the Cycling Victoria Marysville ride this week, never done one of their rides so interested to see how it compares. Not even a Wiggle discount code in the finishing bag was a disappointment. And as expected the elevation on the route map totally out of whack again. Im not a Wiggle hater at all and want these rides to be good but the company doing them seems out of their depth.

speedhump

Postby speedhump » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:19 pm

danny the boy wrote: Im doing the Cycling Victoria Marysville ride this week, never done one of their rides so interested to see how it compares. Not even a Wiggle discount code in the finishing bag was a disappointment. And as expected the elevation on the route map totally out of whack again. Im not a Wiggle hater at all and want these rides to be good but the company doing them seems out of their depth.
I think you will find CV's rest areas a vast improvement, they normally have plenty of fruit cake, lollies and other goodies and are normally well organised. I was also disappointed with Amys Ride rest areas. Enjoy the ride!

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 pm

I started in the 2nd wave and had no issues with the first 2 feed stations :)
I do somewhat agree that the arthurs seat climb should of been pushed back a little bit
I would suggest that they try and keep the fluids chilled somewhat.. cause when its above 30 degrees id like to be drinking something cold...

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:23 pm

speedhump wrote:
danny the boy wrote: Im doing the Cycling Victoria Marysville ride this week, never done one of their rides so interested to see how it compares. Not even a Wiggle discount code in the finishing bag was a disappointment. And as expected the elevation on the route map totally out of whack again. Im not a Wiggle hater at all and want these rides to be good but the company doing them seems out of their depth.
I think you will find CV's rest areas a vast improvement, they normally have plenty of fruit cake, lollies and other goodies and are normally well organised. I was also disappointed with Amys Ride rest areas. Enjoy the ride!

You were right. Whole ride was 10 times better than both the Wiggle rides I've done, glad I signed up for the whole series. Route was superb, fantastic scenery, clearly signposted, shady rest stops, good number of riders, probably the best ride Ive been on.

speedhump

Postby speedhump » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:44 pm

danny the boy wrote: You were right. Whole ride was 10 times better than both the Wiggle rides I've done, glad I signed up for the whole series. Route was superb, fantastic scenery, clearly signposted, shady rest stops, good number of riders, probably the best ride Ive been on.
What options did you do? I did the short option plus the Mountain.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:04 pm

speedhump wrote:
danny the boy wrote: You were right. Whole ride was 10 times better than both the Wiggle rides I've done, glad I signed up for the whole series. Route was superb, fantastic scenery, clearly signposted, shady rest stops, good number of riders, probably the best ride Ive been on.
What options did you do? I did the short option plus the Mountain.
Did the long but skipped the hill, Ive never done a climb that long let alone doing it after 120k's. After getting to the Alexandra rest stop and Garmin telling me i'd averaged nearly 38km/h I knew I was never gonna make it up there. Loved the section up the back of Lake Eildon and across the top of the dam wall.