Snobbery in cycling, why is it so pretentious ?

kb

Re: Snobbery in cycling, why is it so pretentious ?

Postby kb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:33 pm

__PG__ wrote:I don't always understand the attitudes toward 'pro gear'.
Ok
__PG__ wrote: Apparently, its OK to go to a game of footy (maybe even kick the footy around with your mates beforehand) wearing a team jersey, but if you go riding wearing a team jersey you're a fred.
Er.. sounds like you do ;-)

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Summernight wrote:Bit harsh to throw the whole bike when it was the $40 chain's fault... Although am I right in thinking this bicycle might not actually be his but rather a sponsor provided bike?
Well, it is potty-mouthed David Millar, reformed (he says) drug cheat...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:45 pm

:lol:

What did the bike do? Snapped pedal?[/quote]
Snapped the chain I think...[/quote][/quote]

Bit harsh to throw the whole bike when it was the $40 chain's fault... Although am I right in thinking this bicycle might not actually be his but rather a sponsor provided bike?[/quote]

A move that has now entered the cycling lexicon as a "Millarcopter". :D
Certified Brand Snob

boss

Postby boss » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Summernight wrote:
RonK wrote:
Summernight wrote: Snapped the chain I think...
Bit harsh to throw the whole bike when it was the $40 chain's fault... Although am I right in thinking this bicycle might not actually be his but rather a sponsor provided bike?
I threw my bike (not my carbon roadie) in a very similar fashion the other day.

Got hit by a car (pretty badly), peeled myself up off the road, channeled my anger into a furious sprint to work, then it started raining a bit (it was a 30ish degree morning) then I got a flat tyre.

I chucked a wobbly and threw my bike a short distance from the road to the adjacent parkland. Then, as you inevitably have to do, I had to do the walk. Over to said bike, fiddle with patches and crappy hand pump to get it working again.

That bike happens to be a whole lot more robust than my road bike... and the stuff I do on it is a veritable tonne more frustrating than riding a light bike up and down hills... but even then, I will very rarely throw it. Sometimes I let go of it and let it wander off into the distance.

A few of my friends regularly throw their bike. It's a sign of a weak character. Hahahaha.

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Classico!!

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:02 pm

RonK wrote:
outnabike wrote:A cyclist cries if he drops his bike, and a golfer thinks nothing of throwing his three grand clubs into a lake.
Like this you mean?
Don't see too many rants better than that Ron.Well done.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:21 pm

outnabike wrote:
Don't see too many rants better than that Ron.Well done.
Maybe the bike didn't travel as far but a pretty good rant nevertheless. Bjarne (Mr 60% haematocrit) Riis at the 1997 TdF.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:10 am

Summernight wrote:
RonK wrote:
outnabike wrote:A cyclist cries if he drops his bike, and a golfer thinks nothing of throwing his three grand clubs into a lake.
Like this you mean?
:lol:

What did the bike do? Snapped pedal?
Bad Scottish temper ! :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:14 am

Prolly easy to do when you aren't the one paying for the bike.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:24 am

Mulger bill wrote:Prolly easy to do when you aren't the one paying for the bike.
+1. Not a good look for the sponsor to have one of their bikes thrown away. If I was the sponsor, I'd say that guy would need to find another.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:02 pm

if i was his sponsor, i'd say "uh oh, that millar's off his head again" and move on. as if you'd drop a sportsperson because their equipment failed and they got stroppy. what great coverage!

JonoMarshall

Postby JonoMarshall » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:14 pm

The bike polo bashing seems a little naive? Most city centres are pleased to have such a fledging sport growing in popularity (whilst putting bums on bikes). There are plenty of basketball courts around if your local is occupied with a game of bike polo (usually sanctioned by the local authority)?

Hipsters haven't played bike polo since 2009, it got too physical for their liking: http://vimeo.com/35787845" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:50 pm

It lives!!! The thread lives!!!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:05 pm

There's bike polo? :shock:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Summernight wrote:There's bike polo? :shock:
Indeed. Regular weekend sessions at Flagstaff gardens IIRC.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:33 am

Didnt you lot play bike Tig as kids ?

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 am

I found this on another forum.

"i don't know how rapha plan to make cycling the most popular sport in the world when they exist to market cycling as a lifestyle choice to people who can't ride a bike until they've spent £300 on shorts and a jersey."

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:43 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Summernight wrote:There's bike polo? :shock:
Indeed. Regular weekend sessions at Flagstaff gardens IIRC.
What? Darn. I lived closeby to there and never knew. I'm assuming they play on the netball courts? Might be a bit hard to play on grass with road tyres on. :lol:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:31 pm

ausrandoman wrote:I found this on another forum.

"i don't know how rapha plan to make cycling the most popular sport in the world when they exist to market cycling as a lifestyle choice to people who can't ride a bike until they've spent £300 on shorts and a jersey."
I dunno. I hadn't even heard of rapha until the festive 500. Without the challenge on strava, there is no way I would have cycled 500km between christmas and new years during a record heatwave. I got my badge too :mrgreen:

I didn't even know they sold cycling clothes until now. I got my last gear from T7 during the christmas sales. Cheap as and nice gear too.

JonoMarshall

Postby JonoMarshall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:56 pm

Dan wrote:It lives!!! The thread lives!!!
(Sorry for the drudge, I failed to read the last post date, oops.)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:12 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I didn't even know they sold cycling clothes until now. I got my last gear from T7 during the christmas sales. Cheap as and nice gear too.
Tell what clothing you picked up from them CC as I'm looking at getting some bibs from them. (please of course) :mrgreen:

I was hoping to give a review of their road shoes but Australia Post stuffed that up for me!!!!!!! :evil:

Foo

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:20 pm

ausrandoman wrote:I found this on another forum.

I reckon Rapha are just working to help people to re-adjust their perspective on cycling.

Many women will drop £300 on a dress at the drop of a hat. Blokes spend £300 routinely to replace the tyres on their car. But those same people will walk into a LBS and quibble at $10 for pair of mitts "they're only worth $5"

:roll:

Lots of people posting on here would think little of paying $3,000 for their favourite dream bike, but don't seem to see the value in paying $150 for a really top-quality jersey. I have some Rapha clothing - mostly bought on special or picked things I really needed. The favourites would have to be the V-neck merino short-sleeve base layer, and the silky smooth merino thermal. My Fixed Shorts were also a one-off, bought on special (no longer made). It's nearly impossible to find anybody who sells cycling 'plus-fours' and they are excellent to wear riding.

JonoMarshall

Postby JonoMarshall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Rapha clearly spend time/energy on their products, it's a shame they're also spending so much money building the brand in other ways (sponsorship, PR, events, ads, etc).

No-one should have a problem with spending money on good quality kit, but Rapha items are clearly over-priced (they need to recoup the advertising spend somehow).

Loads of cycle companies go under because of a lack of visibility, so perhaps it's not such a bad thing. (Personally I've no interest in Rapha gear unless it's on sale.)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 pm

JonoMarshall wrote:Rapha items are clearly over-priced (they need to recoup the advertising spend somehow).
Not correct. Rapha have always been quite high-priced. I would be wary of saying over-priced - they are very nicely made, from top-quality materials, and in the UK (London) market. That's a high-priced world in anybody's estimation.

This has been the case even before they embarked on much more high-profile marketing with their own racing team, their own movies made etc. All this marketing has simply expanded their market reach - something any business would love to achieve.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... -bike-blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:25 pm

You will never be a "legit pretentious cyclist" till you ride vintage Campagnolo. :D
I've no interest in Rapha gear unless my "sponsor" gave it to me. :P
:mrgreen: