Swissstop carbon brake pads - new black prince

merlin6014

Swissstop carbon brake pads - new black prince

Postby merlin6014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:58 am

So the "Black Prince" replaces the "yellow" in the Swissstop line up for carbon rims.

Of the limited reviews available they all say the black prince easily outperform the yellows.

Unfortunately none of my usual haunts (Evans, PBK, Wiggle, c r c) stock Black Prince (even though they came out last year) and when asked they claim they are not getting them. Cell Bikes said no, as did my LBS. Funny thing is they all point me to the "black" pads which are $25 and for alloy rims. I keep having to explain these are different from "black prince". Also all these places said just buy the yellow, but no way am I buying a superseded product when I know the new one is out with significantly new materials at the same rrp.

There is a bunch of US shops that have them for $45 (rrp is same as yellow) but they all want like $40 for shipping!

Anyone know where I can get them for about $50 delivered?

I'm in Sydney btw - willing to pay extra from a LBS if I have to but the ones I have tried so far have had no luck.

SpinninWheels

Re: Swissstop carbon brake pads - new black prince

Postby SpinninWheels » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:45 am

merlin,

I would also be interested in them.

I have a friend that commutes to NY every 3 to 5 weeks for work. I can ask him to pick some up on his next trip and then post to you in sydney if your interested?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:56 am

Ze germans
Good old bike24 has them for under $50 including shipping
But they are indicating 2011?? And campag only
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Ze germans
Good old bike24 has them for under $50 including shipping
But they are indicating 2011?? And campag only
There not the ones. These are from Bike 24 (see link below). But will be over $50 (just over $60) since there is a EUR19.95 delivery charge (four pads cost EUR32.90 but you need to subtract 19% German VAT).

Under "Colour" choose Black Prince.

https://www.bike24.net/1.php?content=8; ... 311ef81360

merlin6014

Postby merlin6014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:00 pm

SpinninWheels wrote:merlin,

I would also be interested in them.

I have a friend that commutes to NY every 3 to 5 weeks for work. I can ask him to pick some up on his next trip and then post to you in sydney if your interested?
Thanks for the offer (much appreciated) i'll keep it in mind if i cant find any before then.

merlin6014

Postby merlin6014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 pm

That bike 24 site is $71 delivered - too high i think...

I found a shop on US ebay that is 50 delivered from taiwan. Good feedback but i tend to be doubtful of genuineness of taiwanese sellers. They make some good fakes. Ill post a link later (im posting from my phone at the moment).

EDIT - here is the ebay link for anyone interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swiss-Stop-Flas ... 35c494e587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:53 pm

The blokes have them for US$48 with (according to their estimate) free shipping to Australia. Apparently they're in Nevada. Might be worth a look see.

http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/p-93 ... osram.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise I know that Excel Sports in Boulder will ship small parts for $15 and they have the pads you want for $50..

Failing that...have you asked the local distro, echelon sports, whether they are getting stock?

EDIT: There you go...one of the locals has them. Bike Bug in North Sydney for $69 delivered http://www.bikebug.com/parts-accessorie ... 16724.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Guy I know who tests equipment for certain manufacturers has been on them for a while... certainly rates them over the yellows, I think he still prefers bontrager ones though.

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Not quite the same but I just bought some of the swissstop bxp's from BB, should get them early next week

merlin6014

Postby merlin6014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:47 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:The blokes have them for US$48 with (according to their estimate) free shipping to Australia. Apparently they're in Nevada. Might be worth a look see.

http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/p-93 ... osram.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise I know that Excel Sports in Boulder will ship small parts for $15 and they have the pads you want for $50..

Failing that...have you asked the local distro, echelon sports, whether they are getting stock?

EDIT: There you go...one of the locals has them. Bike Bug in North Sydney for $69 delivered http://www.bikebug.com/parts-accessorie ... 16724.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bike Bug is $79 delivered but good find all the same, I could just go into Nth Syd and pick up for $69. I'll check out those others you mentioned too, thanks.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:08 am

toolonglegs wrote:Guy I know who tests equipment for certain manufacturers has been on them for a while... certainly rates them over the yellows, I think he still prefers bontrager ones though.
So are these okay for carbon rims in terms of not overheating then? The Bontrager and the Black Prince that is. Remembering the 'rumours' of swiss stop yellows overheating rims on decents.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:14 am

I'd be happy to get these so as not to leave stupid yellow residue on my black carbon rims.

merlin6014

Postby merlin6014 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:24 pm

ft_critical wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Guy I know who tests equipment for certain manufacturers has been on them for a while... certainly rates them over the yellows, I think he still prefers bontrager ones though.
So are these okay for carbon rims in terms of not overheating then? The Bontrager and the Black Prince that is. Remembering the 'rumours' of swiss stop yellows overheating rims on decents.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:09 pm

merlin6014 wrote: YouTube video
Merlin thanks for posting that it was great. I will give them a try.

merlin6014

Postby merlin6014 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:33 pm

ft_critical wrote:
merlin6014 wrote: YouTube video
Merlin thanks for posting that it was great. I will give them a try.
no worries, for those who dont want to watch the video the black prince runs 44% cooler than the yellows.

SpinninWheels

Postby SpinninWheels » Mon May 27, 2013 6:13 pm

I just picked up a set (4 blocks) of these for $41 from Probikekit.com.au