Bike improvements.

gusmorris

Bike improvements.

Postby gusmorris » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 pm

I recently posted a thread regarding the new bike I bought and whether I should buy a new one because of my all of a sudden love for cycling. I have came to the conclusion that instead of buying a whole new bike I would instead begin upgrading my current bike, part by part and was just curious to know because I am new to cycling what I should upgrade first eg. handlebars>wheels>frame (rough example, I just used any bike parts that came to my mind :P) I will link my bike so you people can find good things to swap out for the specific bike.

Cheers Gus :wink:

Howzat

Re: Bike improvements.

Postby Howzat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:38 am

That's the more costly way to do it , but you'll learn a lot about bike building on the way. I'd suggest replacing the easy stuff first - pedals, saddle, seat post, tyres - then go on to handlebars, brakes, gears, frame.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Depends on what you are looking to get out of your bike. More comfort, more speed, more bling, more durable.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:01 pm

bychosis wrote:Depends on what you are looking to get out of your bike. More comfort, more speed, more bling, more durable.

more speed, what you suggest for that ?

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:02 pm

kunalraiker wrote:
bychosis wrote:Depends on what you are looking to get out of your bike. More comfort, more speed, more bling, more durable.

Better engine :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Crowz wrote:
kunalraiker wrote:

= time on the bike + attention to diet and training.

But re: the bike, what is it? Depending on what it is, it may be cheaper to save for something better rather than trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:41 pm

trailgumby wrote:
= time on the bike + attention to diet and training.

But re: the bike, what is it? Depending on what it is, it may be cheaper to save for something better rather than trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.[/quote]

Does that mean, any decent frame 7-10 Kgs Bike weight is capable of making high speeds with right legs.

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:39 pm

kunalraiker wrote: Does that mean, any decent frame 7-10 Kgs Bike weight is capable of making high speeds with right legs.
Yep.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 am

Apart from the engine room comment, try to make sure everything on your bike is running mechanicly perfect, ie. with the least resistance. service your wheel bearings and adjust them perfectly, service/replace your bottom bracket, adjust your derailleurs, strive for minimum mechanical losses to get the best out of what you've got.

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Are you still riding a Reid Condor gusmorris?
If so, I would probably just upgrade the tyres and tubes when the current ones wear out, as a good set of tyres can be a very cost effective way of improving the performance of your bike. Other than that, make sure the gears and brakes are properly adjusted and just keep on riding it, and while doing that, look at a second bike purchase somewhere down the track.

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:53 pm

if i were in your position and there was nothing that you are particularly unhappy with:

1. tires
2. wheels
3. brake pads
4. brakes
5. derailleurs (up to 105 or better)
6. brifters (up to 105 or better)
7. frame
8. handlebars and stem

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:50 pm

I would focus on sorting out contact points like your seat and handlebars. These things you can easily transfer to another bike if you like the style. Seat and handlebars are probably the most important parts of a bike that influence the way your bike feels to ride. Keep the originals and when you upgrade, take the ones you like with you or buy new ones for the new bike. On top of that, I'd say wheels would be high on the list of priorities as well. Outside of those, there's not much more that a new bike won't do.

Snagdog

Postby Snagdog » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:19 pm

I agree with George bob..... I do top 3. Forgive me if I'm wrong but then I'd look at getting some quality riding gear.... Knicks, jersey, gloves & helmet.

Nice apparel makes a big difference. And so does the your engine.

Also make sure your comfortable on the bike as that's very important. Stem, seat post height, bars etc... I rode along for ages in the wrong position.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:33 pm

timbo wrote:Are you still riding a Reid Condor gusmorris?
If so, I would probably just upgrade the tyres and tubes when the current ones wear out, as a good set of tyres can be a very cost effective way of improving the performance of your bike. Other than that, make sure the gears and brakes are properly adjusted and just keep on riding it, and while doing that, look at a second bike purchase somewhere down the track.
+1. Also consider finding a saddle you like as you can move it to your next bike.

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:15 pm

If you're riding a condor, save your $ and buy a falco elite. Their so cheap, it worked out cheaper when I priced up the improvements (that I wanted) to the condor.