Correct posture

JanAnV

Correct posture

Postby JanAnV » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:08 am

Hi, I have recently taken up bike riding for exercise. I ride for approx. 30 mins every morning. My usual bike is a ladies mountain bike but my husband just bought me a new bike which is a Fluid Sprint 2.0, 18" hybrid. Mostly for road riding. I rode my new bike this morning for the first time and by the time I returned home I was glad to get off. I feel that my whole upper body weight is taken into my elbows and wrists. I was very sore and uncomfortable. Is my posture out or do I need to adjust the angle of the handlebars? Is it a matter of trial and error or is there is standard I could follow?
I look forward to some advice.
:(

Nobody

Re: Correct posture

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 am

http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Bike ... 0034908002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Handlebar could be too low. Frame could be too big. Saddle could be too far forward on the seatpost.

Measure some things like the saddle height to the ground compared to the handlebar height to the ground, on each bike. You may find the Hybrid has a greater saddle to handlebar drop (difference between the saddle to ground and handlebar to ground) or at least, less rise. The minimum for comfort would be the saddle level with the handlebar, but generally the higher the handlebar the better for comfort. You may even require a different handlebar to get the right position for you. I had to get a cafe cruiser handlebar so my wife is in an upright position.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:48 pm

30mins cruising ?
30mins pushing ?
Possibly just not used to the change ?
Not quite aerobically fit ?
Right bike for what you want to achieve ?

JanAnV

Postby JanAnV » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Thankyou Nobody, you've been very helpful. I took measurements and it seems that my handle bars need to come up an inch or 2. My seat doesnt go any lower. My bike does have an adjustable A Head stem ( I think I got that right) but as yet my hubby and I cant see how to adjust it. ?? I also took off my Gel saddle cover and that took a little extra height away. I shall keep perservering and hopefully will get used to the new bike.
Thanks again :)

JanAnV

Postby JanAnV » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi Wurtulla Wabbit. Not sure what defines cruising but around here there is very little flat ground. It is always a tough ride due to the gradients even if they are a mixture of subtle and no so subtle. I enjoy it a little tough though to feel like the ride is doing some good. I've only been riding daily for about 2 or 3 months now
I hope it isnt a case of wrong bike but the guff on this bike sounded exactly what I was after. I do hope it is just a matter of getting used to a different bike.
Thankyou for your help.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:36 pm

If the retailer set it up for you (and you have no reason to think they are imcompetent) I'd give it a few days before trying your own adjustments.

If yo do adjust, then first mark the existing seat post setting with a permanent marker or a band of sticky tape. Ditto anything else you adjust.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:49 pm

Would help if we could see side-on video of you pedalling. Alternatively, side-on pictures of you on the bike and cranks at top of stroke and bottom of stroke. Need to see you from neck down and including feet.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:12 pm

JanAnV wrote:Thankyou Nobody, you've been very helpful.
You're welcome. :)
JanAnV wrote:I took measurements and it seems that my handle bars need to come up an inch or 2. My seat doesnt go any lower. My bike does have an adjustable A Head stem ( I think I got that right) but as yet my hubby and I cant see how to adjust it. ?? I also took off my Gel saddle cover and that took a little extra height away. I shall keep perservering and hopefully will get used to the new bike.
If there is no steerer tube above the stem and looks just like the advertisement photo (likely) then the stem adjustment will only be down (the only main downside of that design).

There are ways to adjust up. Some are more difficult and expensive than others.

The easiest way is to get a steerer extender which should give you up to 3 inches of height increase. Please see link below. It clamps onto the current steerer and then the stem clamps onto it. It should all make more sense if you were to disassemble your steerer top cap and stem.
http://www.jensonusa.com/Zoom-HEADSUP2-Steerer-Extender" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another way would be to get an adjustable (angled) stem with a steeper angle (see my pic above).

Yet another option is called a riser handlebar. The one pictured above I got from the US. The handlebar was cheap enough at $20, but the postage costs were more than the handlebar.

Then there is the relatively expensive option of buying another fork with a longer steerer and cutting it to size when you are happy with the final result. I've done this a couple of times but it is a bit more involved.

JanAnV

Postby JanAnV » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Thankyou all for the many replies to my cry for help. I must say when I rode my bike this morning I tried to be more aware of my posture and did find I was letting my upper spine region sink into down between my shoulder blades. Hope you can understand that.?? I found that when I pulled my back up out of the dip there was less weight on my hand/wrists. I came back from the ride feeling more positive. I will look into some of your other suggestions if there continues to be a problem.

I am going to be away for a few days from tomorrow so wont be riding my bike (boo hoo) and won't be using a computer. I shall be in touch again for sure to let you know how I go.

Thanks again everyone. This is a really helpful site.
:wink: