Brake operation

bigbuzz73

Brake operation

Postby bigbuzz73 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:33 am

I was looking at a few photo galleries on an O/S website and noticed the Americans appear to rig their brakes the opposite to how we do it. That is, they use the left hand for the front brake and right hand for the rear. Am I seeing things or is that the 'standard' they use? I can only assume it has something to do with them driving on the R.H.S. of the road.
Maybe I have too much spare time if I notice stuff like this??!! :roll:
Regards, wayne

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:26 am

I doubt it very much, having the front bake on the right hand is universal in the motorcyle world.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:07 am

Maybe the wheels spin in a different direction on the other side of the world?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:45 am

A lot of american bicycles do have the front brake on the opposing side to us. My last bike was rigged that way, and I have mine that way because my left hand is the stronger, so I prefer it to operate the front brake.

It has something to do with hand signalling and the operation of the brakes, hence the difference in which side operates which brake.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:56 am

The theory is that the hand used for signalling (left in the US) should not be on the "main" brake - of course, they decide that the "main" brake is the rear brake, so it doesn't really make much sense.

Having your dominant hand on the front brake is the best way to go, as you need more precise control for the front.