Giant Defy Mudguards

Lurkin

Giant Defy Mudguards

Postby Lurkin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 pm

After switching from 23c tyres to 25, there is not enough clearance between the front brake/ bottom of the front forks, to use my current mudguards, being Crudracers.

I've noted from internet searches that the the Giant Defy Mudguards are well regarded in the UK for those with clearance issues. I would prefer these to SKS raceblades.

(1) does anyone know where to get them in Australia? Googling has not been particularly successful at locating them
(2) has anyone had experience with them? Good, average or ugly?

MREJ

Re: Giant Defy Mudguards

Postby MREJ » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:38 pm

Ask a Giant dealer?
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Yep - I've emailed all the Giant dealers in Melbourne re same, just waiting on responses.

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:19 pm

After emailing all of the dealers on Giants website, the minimal number of responses were appalling.

All bar one simply referred to various SKS guards... despite being less than a full guard and inferior...

Only one had a full answer, stating they are not available in Australia (did they even try??? I'll never know).

Thank God I don't own a Giant bike!

Guess I'll buy them from somewhere in the UK...

cage

Postby cage » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:10 pm

So how did you go with this?
I've recently purchased a Defy 1 and will be looking at getting the Giant gaurds.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:26 pm

I'll have a look in the catalogue on Monday, but it's quite possible that Giant Australia don't bring them in (there's a lot of stuff from the overseas offerings that doesn't get here).

Note: I work in a shop that is a Giant dealer.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

cage

Postby cage » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks, but i rang the Giant store here in Adelaide early this week & they told me they dont have them.

Getting them in from the UK isn't a big deal but i'd like to hear from the OP or anyone else that may have them.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:04 am

No one has them in Australia.

The only option is to buy them from the UK.

This is because they were never a product determined to be sold in Australia. I met this explanation, or "na, we just don't sell them" - ridiculous and a rubbish reason not to obtain them for a customer! Also found the Giant dealers were bunch of disinterested, ignorant, pains in the butt to deal with. Which is crazy, because if the experience had been good I would have purchased a Defy to go with them (had done research on it due to the guards and was impressed)

Gave up, using Crud racer guards, which are ok, but I cannot use larger tyres for the winter season as theres just not enough clearance. The Giant guards would have solved this issue.

couldn't justify the Giant guards, Crud racer guards worked out cheaper and I have had good results with them previously.