Help to date this Healing Roadster frame

r0adrunn3r

Help to date this Healing Roadster frame

Postby r0adrunn3r » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:07 pm

I would like to get a rough date on my Healing Roadster.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/phda546x7mysxcv/lqNNMyxQQn?m

The serial number on the seat tube is 2588.

On the BB there is the number 210 cast on it.

On paintwork on the underside gives a good idea what it would have looked like originally. Each tube was royal blue at the lugs. A red section was painted in the middle and white pin-striping.

The hand-painted decals are in pretty good condition. Except for the Triangular shaped one at the top of the seat tube. Does any one know what it would have looked like? Seems to me it could have been the tubing manufacturer.

Cheers,

Tony

feelthewheel

Re: Help to date this Healing Roadster frame

Postby feelthewheel » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:56 pm

My guestimate would be a 1950's jobbie.

Paul Watson

Postby Paul Watson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Warren has a thread collecting Healing serial numbers. You could add this one to the list.

The triangular decal is BTM (British Tube Mills) Reynolds 531 tubing made in Kilburn South Australia after WWII. Great bit of history - bet you are glad you asked. There are square, round and triangular versions of the decal - pretty sure the triangular one is straight tubing, and the round one is double butteed.

I have an original unapplied round version of the decal and I have spoken to Greg Softley about reproducing it, but it is one of many projects on the back burner.

Plenty of other threads about Aussie Reynolds tubing on here.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:20 pm

r0adrunn3r wrote:The hand-painted decals are in pretty good condition. Except for the Triangular shaped one at the top of the seat tube. Does any one know what it would have looked like? Seems to me it could have been the tubing manufacturer.
Your bike looks to be just post-WW2, I have a 1952 example with similar decals on another thread. Paul's correct, it is a BTM sticker (you can even read BTM very faintly in your photo), but not Reynolds 531. There were three different stickers, the round Reynolds 531 version (I suspect this was plain gauge), the rectangular Reynolds "A" tubing one (cromo?) and the triangular one. The triangular one doesn't designate what sort of steel, so it's probably just hi-tensile (gaspipe).

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but does anybody have a good image of any of these BTM tubing stickers? I want to get them reproduced to use on some of my bikes and I need a half decent image (colour pref but b/w is ok) to start with.
If there is a higher res image of this ad I could make a start with that.
Cheers
Richard
Johnj wrote: Your bike looks to be just post-WW2, I have a 1952 example with similar decals on another thread. Paul's correct, it is a BTM sticker (you can even read BTM very faintly in your photo), but not Reynolds 531. There were three different stickers, the round Reynolds 531 version (I suspect this was plain gauge), the rectangular Reynolds "A" tubing one (cromo?) and the triangular one. The triangular one doesn't designate what sort of steel, so it's probably just hi-tensile (gaspipe).

r0adrunn3r

Postby r0adrunn3r » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks for the information. About the sticker very interesting.

Shall see if we can get it reproduced.

Tony

Retro man

Postby Retro man » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:10 am

So
Have the Reynolds stickers been reproduced? I just scored one of these frames, same as the 52 on the other post very light. And I want to restore it.
Gitane Criterium. Puch mistral SE. Manhattan Flyer.