Do you carry ID

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 5297
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby warthog1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:58 pm

I must be too much of a weight weenie, my wallet has so many cards and other stuff in it. I'm not stuffing that in my jersey pocket.
I just carry the mobile and cash in a zip lock plastic bag along with muesli bar, tube, pump and puncture repair kit. That's the jersey loaded. Old licence is a great idea though.
When I'm commuting I have the wallet in my back pack.

User avatar
HLC
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:23 pm
Location: Sydney.

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby HLC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:05 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:Always, an old drivers licence and my racing licence live with my coffee money.


I carry an old licence too, some cash, and a credit card in my small tool pouch.

Been meaning to make up an 'ICE' (in case of emergency) card with GF's details / medicare number etc on it, but yeah, i'm lazy.

User avatar
snark
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:35 am
Location: Geelong, Vic

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby snark » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:05 pm

Another vote for RoadID. I also have ICE numbers in my phone, but SWMBO feels much better about me riding about with the RoadID.

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

jgon286
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Sutherland Shire, NSW

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby jgon286 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:04 pm

I got myself a RoadID a couple of years ago and wear it on solo rides and runs. I was reminded of my mortality one day on a ride when I nearly got collected by a semi-trailer a couple of times. I figure it's a sound investment in case something goes wrong. Looks pretty cool too.
Image

Ridley Fenix
Specialized Hardrock 29er

User avatar
casual_cyclist
Posts: 7758
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:36 am

Depends how far I am riding and how organised I am.

Short ride: nothing

Medium ride: water, small amount of cash

Long ride: water, cash, credit card, smart rider (if I'm organised, otherwise just cash)

On a long ride I like to buy either choc milk or iced tea, hence the cash
<removed by request>

User avatar
Shpox
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:54 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland.

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby Shpox » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:53 am

Expired Drivers License.

jasonc
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby jasonc » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:22 am

merlin6014 wrote:
Apple wrote:I have my husband’s phone number tattooed on my breast, I used to have my old boyfriends number on the other breast but I turn that one into a dragon tattoo


:?:


+1
pics or it didn't happen?

I usually carry credit card and cash in one of those seal locked satchels. mobile is always with me. has a home number.

User avatar
sogood
Posts: 17153
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU
Contact:

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby sogood » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:31 am

The real question should be, why don't you carry ID?
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Becker_11
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:46 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby Becker_11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:50 am

Sogood I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think people are taking unnecessary risks by not having id with them and for what to save a bit of weight?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

User avatar
Xplora
Posts: 8128
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:33 am
Location: TL;DR

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby Xplora » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Medicare card is always in my saddlebag. That goes with me everywhere.

User avatar
Apple
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby Apple » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Becker_11 wrote:Sogood I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think people are taking unnecessary risks by not having id with them and for what to save a bit of weight?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

+ 1
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

jzr
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby jzr » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Mulger bill wrote:There should always be a fiver tucked away in your saddlebag. If it doesn't come in handy for a phone call, drink or bag of jellybeans at some time, it will eventually come in handy as a get you home fix for a slashed tyre sidewall


+1. Sometimes I don't carry cash, just my D/L and credit card but yesterday I slipped a tenner in the ziplock bag I put my phone and ID in. Lucky I did, copped a gaping hole in the tyre and puncture - the tenner came in handy as a nice makeshift boot to get me home.

I've been meaning to buy a RoadID for a while and one for the missus when she goes out running on her own. We don't carry any ID or phone when we run so the RoadID makes sense.
Image

human909
Posts: 7204
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby human909 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:15 pm

I find it absolutely bizarre that cyclists feel the need to carry road id.

I've never encountered any other sport, especially one that is so VERY safe, that likes to emphasize planning for sever injury. :? :?: I partake in many other sports which have higher risks but no other sport plan for severe in such a way.

User avatar
ozzymac
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby ozzymac » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi,
I carry my phone but just in case it gets broken as well as me I wear a dog tag which has general info engraved on it.


Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Venus62
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby Venus62 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:50 pm

human909 wrote:I find it absolutely bizarre that cyclists feel the need to carry road id.

I've never encountered any other sport, especially one that is so VERY safe, that likes to emphasize planning for sever injury. :? :?: I partake in many other sports which have higher risks but no other sport plan for severe in such a way.


I can't think of too many other sports in which a participant might be injured alone and some distance from anyone who knows who they are.

human909
Posts: 7204
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby human909 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:03 pm

Venus62 wrote:I can't think of too many other sports in which a participant might be injured alone and some distance from anyone who knows who they are.


I can think of many.

In fact the stats show that as a pedestrian you are more at risk.

Venus62
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby Venus62 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:05 pm



What are some of your many examples? And most pedestrians would be carrying ID...

User avatar
darkelf921
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:28 pm

RoadID for me, as well as a medic alert necklace.
Image
My YouTube channel http://goo.gl/UlJrkN

human909
Posts: 7204
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby human909 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:46 pm

Venus62 wrote:What are some of your many examples? And most pedestrians would be carrying ID...


Skiing, mountain biking, kayaking, rock climbing, hiking in fact a whole bunch of outdoor sports. Sure often you do that in a group, but often cyclists ride in a group too. Some you might even have a partner but he/she still may not know your identity.


It is bizarre that we have been so indoctrinated by the government that cycling is dangerous that we go to these fairly odd and extreme measures.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:59 pm

darkelf921 wrote:RoadID for me, as well as a medic alert necklace.


I didn't even know the RoadID existed. I'll be getting one. A friend of mine had a heart attack recently. If something happened to me, I want people to know who I am and who to contact.

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 4181
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:51 am

After reading all these replies and carrying laminated cards with emergency details on it for quite some time I figure not everyone will think to look in my saddle bag, or rummage through my backpack to find ID that isn't my wallet I have written I.C.E. 04xx xxx xxx on my helmet. Predominantly silver helmet so it stands out OK. I always have a helmet but two bikes don't have a saddle bag and I don't always take a backpack (camelbak) on a short ride. Non cyclists might also miss the jersey pockets. My helmet is not left lying around in places, it's either with me, on my head or in the car/garage/locker at work so it's not a problem having the ph number on it.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

User avatar
WyvernRH
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: Newcastle NSW

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:08 am

human909 wrote:
Venus62 wrote:What are some of your many examples? And most pedestrians would be carrying ID...


Skiing, mountain biking, kayaking, rock climbing, hiking in fact a whole bunch of outdoor sports. Sure often you do that in a group, but often cyclists ride in a group too. Some you might even have a partner but he/she still may not know your identity.


It is bizarre that we have been so indoctrinated by the government that cycling is dangerous that we go to these fairly odd and extreme measures.


I wouldn't say carrying ID is odd or extreme. You may be asked by a Police Officer at any time (whatever your mode of transport) to produce ID.
Dunno about skiing but I take part in Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Hiking and Sailing and always carry a P.E.D. (or EPIRB if you wish) which is basically a type of id in case I get into grief in the middle of nowhere.
Mountain Biking is a type of cycling :wink: and yes you should carry a P.E.D. or at least a phone if you are going anywhere way out on your own.
Cheers
Richard

Tony6463
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:02 am
Location: Bungendore.

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby Tony6463 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:27 am

WyvernRH wrote:
human909 wrote:
Venus62 wrote:What are some of your many examples? And most pedestrians would be carrying ID...


Skiing, mountain biking, kayaking, rock climbing, hiking in fact a whole bunch of outdoor sports. Sure often you do that in a group, but often cyclists ride in a group too. Some you might even have a partner but he/she still may not know your identity.


It is bizarre that we have been so indoctrinated by the government that cycling is dangerous that we go to these fairly odd and extreme measures.


I wouldn't say carrying ID is odd or extreme. You may be asked by a Police Officer at any time (whatever your mode of transport) to produce ID.
Dunno about skiing but I take part in Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Hiking and Sailing and always carry a P.E.D. (or EPIRB if you wish) which is basically a type of id in case I get into grief in the middle of nowhere.
Mountain Biking is a type of cycling :wink: and yes you should carry a P.E.D. or at least a phone if you are going anywhere way out on your own.
Cheers
Richard


I to do a lot of the activities mentioned here. I always make sure I have ID and a phone when at all practical. Better safe than sorry and you never know what might happen to you or someone you come across. Things can turn to poo pretty quickly. Always put in a zip lock bag or pelican case. A failure to plan is a plan to fail. Unless you are racing or competing in your chosen sport look at the extra weight as a training tool. If you only ever need to use it once surely that is enough to justify it.

User avatar
Apple
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby Apple » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:53 am

This is why you must have an ID.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Doe
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

orbeas
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:06 pm
Location: Perth. WA

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby orbeas » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:58 am

Apple wrote:I have my husband’s phone number tattooed on my breast, I used to have my old boyfriends number on the other breast but I turn that one into a dragon tattoo

was the phone number a small land line number or enough room to fit 10 digit number :D
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jindydiver