Cairns to Hobart

bumblebea

Cairns to Hobart

Postby bumblebea » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 am

Hello fellow tourers,

I am heading down to Hobart starting sometime between June and August 2013 so I thought I'd just put it out there to see if there are any takers to join me for some of the route? I haven't got a set route or timeframe as yet but am thinking of following the coast down to around Caloundra, heading inland to go through Toowoomba and Armidale (thereby avoiding Brisneyland and Sydney), coming back out around Kiama and following the coast to Melbourne (except for the apparently horrible bit between Bega and Cann River). I will be doing it mostly solo at this stage but would welcome some company for some of it!

Also any suggestions/advice/tips would be most appreciated.

bumblebea : )

RonK

Re: Cairns to Hobart

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:47 pm

bumblebea wrote:Hello fellow tourers,

I am heading down to Hobart starting sometime between June and August 2013 so I thought I'd just put it out there to see if there are any takers to join me for some of the route? I haven't got a set route or timeframe as yet but am thinking of following the coast down to around Caloundra, heading inland to go through Toowoomba and Armidale (thereby avoiding Brisneyland and Sydney), coming back out around Kiama and following the coast to Melbourne (except for the apparently horrible bit between Bega and Cann River). I will be doing it mostly solo at this stage but would welcome some company for some of it!

Also any suggestions/advice/tips would be most appreciated.

bumblebea : )
I noted the comments about touring solo, but I don't agree - I prefer to tour solo.

I think you are trying to avoid the wrong sections, and setting yourself up for some quite hilly ones. I would be wanting to get off the Bruce Highway from Cairns and rejoin at Brisbane, then continue down the coast.

Look at the article on my blog about the approaches to Brisbane - this describes a couple of ways through the greater Brisbane area. You can also read about Tassie in my tour journal.

PM your email address and I'll sent you a copy of the Eastcoaster route from the first edition of Lonely Planet Cycling Australia - Gold Coast to Melbourne.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bumblebea

Re: Cairns to Hobart

Postby bumblebea » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:29 pm

well, i've never done either and i'm up for the best of both worlds! but i reckon most of it will be solo, which i am very much looking forward to.

when you say getting off the bruce highway at cairns do you mean heading down the back road? i'm very hesitant to go too remote on my first ride and would prefer to have smaller distances between water and amenities stops! my aim is to avoid as much of the bruce highway as possible by going along smaller routes that run parallel-ish to it; any suggestions from people who have toured between brisbane and cairns would be most welcome.

my preference is to completely avoid brisbane and sydney! i am not afraid of hills ; ) but it would be nice to have an alternative if i become afraid of them half way along.

: )