Prototype helmet cam - 360 vision

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Prototype helmet cam - 360 vision

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 am

At http://road.cc/content/news/77422-smidsy-drivers-beware-helmet-justice-watching-and-its-got-360%C2%B0-vision


SMIDSY drivers beware the Helmet of Justice is watching and it's got 360° vision

Here at road.cc we're scratching our heads as to whether we think this would work.

It's a helmet containing seven cameras, that only activates at the moment of impact, giving a complete 360 degree view of the situation for the purposes of gathering as much evidence as possible.
Image
It's fittingly named the 'Helmet of Justice', made by the US skate company Chaotic Moon.

Photos can be seen here, courtesy of Digital Trends.

It's clearly a great idea if you're hit by a hit-and-run driver, which seems increasingly common these days, but even if the camera manages to catch a numberplate speeding off into the distance, it's not clear whether that would be enough evidence to prove it was the car that hit you.

We can't help thinking it might be more useful if it was filming all the time, rather than just after the impact.

It's still only a prototype, which Chaotic Moon say cost around 300 dollars to create, and they're looking into adding features like GPS tracking - which could send emergency services directly to your location following a collision.

What is clear is that more and more cyclists are using bike or helmet mounted cameras to protect themselves and help identify dangerous drivers.

In Janauary we reported on another, camera the Cerevellum Hindsight 30 - brainchild of US designer Evan Solida - a rear pointing camera with an integral LED light with a bar mounted monitor that records footage on a continuous 10 second loop to capture video footage of incidents in which cyclists are hit from behind - by far the most dangerous form of collision if you're riding a bike. From closer to home we've got a RoadHawk Bullet Cam - which like the Hindsight 30 records on a continuous loop and comes with a variety of mounts allowing you to point it either forwards or back.

Whether the the Helmet of Justice is the first step in taking such technology to the next level or not, cameras and camera technology are going to become an increasinly commen piece of equipment or all road users..


I wouldn't think it is too hard to constantly record and only dropping off early content as storage is maxed out. Or maintaining the vision of the last, say, minute. Then on impact retaining that minute and anythign further. Compared to the the rest of the project that would be the easy bit.

As an aside I suppose that Google could start adding cycle paths to google street maps from users submitted rides.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4767
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

by BNA » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:04 pm

BNA
 

Re: Prototype helmet cam - 360 vision

Postby outnabike » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:04 pm

Good post ColinOldnCranky,
It sure is a bit more aero dynamic. I have wondered for a while why the likes of Go Pro Or Sony don't work more closely with a helmet company to get a better designed unit.
User avatar
outnabike
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Prototype helmet cam - 360 vision

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:22 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:As an aside I suppose that Google could start adding cycle paths to google street maps from users submitted rides.

Already done in some parts of the world, although probably by a Google camera-equipped bike.


Personally, if I'm going to be bothered/legally required to wear a helmet, I'd prefer one that works to protect my head, rather than one designed as a camera mount.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18757
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Prototype helmet cam - 360 vision

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:26 pm

il padrone wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:As an aside I suppose that Google could start adding cycle paths to google street maps from users submitted rides.

Already done in some parts of the world, although probably by a Google camera-equipped bike.


Personally, if I'm going to be bothered/legally required to wear a helmet, I'd prefer one that works to protect my head, rather than one designed as a camera mount.

I think you are onto it - I doubt that the designers will be bothered with making it to [ass muster with the certification required in Oz. There are going to be lot of hard little protuberances on the wrong protective shell for a start.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4767
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Prototype helmet cam - 360 vision

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Google's Streetview bike operates at a bit of a different scale

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kzlL79v-0yU[/youtube]

Image
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18757
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Prototype helmet cam - 360 vision

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:36 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:It's a helmet containing seven cameras, that only activates at the moment of impact, giving a complete 360 degree view of the situation for the purposes of gathering as much evidence as possible.


Mmm so it activates at the moment of impact? By that time what led to the impact is in the pass. Not much evidence gathering going on at that point.

Also seven cameras? Seriously? What a pain getting the video from the cameras and keeping them all charged up.

Not sure this is a winner at all. A couple of half decent cameras pretty much can provide all the evidence one needs; maybe three if you really want full on coverage.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20271
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Prototype helmet cam - 360 vision

Postby zero » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:01 am

Aushiker wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:It's a helmet containing seven cameras, that only activates at the moment of impact, giving a complete 360 degree view of the situation for the purposes of gathering as much evidence as possible.


Mmm so it activates at the moment of impact? By that time what led to the impact is in the pass. Not much evidence gathering going on at that point.

Also seven cameras? Seriously? What a pain getting the video from the cameras and keeping them all charged up.

Not sure this is a winner at all. A couple of half decent cameras pretty much can provide all the evidence one needs; maybe three if you really want full on coverage.

Andrew


I'm sure they are wired together and that management is straight forward.

They work by being on all the time, buffering footage and overwriting buffered segments when it becomes historical due to no impact. The reason for doing this is to ensure that user-at-fault error doesn't turn the cam off due to the storage being filled.

Optimal for a bicycle for me would be to have the cams and 1 recorder in the helmet, and wireless recorder duplicate in the downtube.
zero
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Prototype helmet cam - 360 vision

Postby John Lewis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:45 pm

I think these are still cams not video.
I can't see they would be of much help at all.
Perhaps a camera that a motorist can see may act as something of a deterent so may be preferable to a hidden one.

John
John Lewis
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:12 pm
Location: Albany. 400km South of Perth

Re: Prototype helmet cam - 360 vision

Postby zero » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:57 pm

ah ok, I agree, its useless then.
zero
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm


Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit