Do you carry ID

twizzle

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby twizzle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:31 pm

human909 wrote:Strawman. Nobody is claiming that carry a drivers license is onerous. :wink:
See the dictionary definition.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Isn't all this a bit of a moot point? If you have a medical condition carry ID, simple. If you get lost and don't know who you are carry an ID. If you don't mind not being identified for any reason, then don't carry ID.
Just remember you may get a circumstance where it is a good thing to have ID in any case.

But my main point is , I do the most dangerous stuff, and always have ID on me. And that is shopping at Aldi when a special is on. You have to be quick on your feet at Aldi I can tell you... :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:35 pm

outnabike wrote:But my main point is , I do the most dangerous stuff, and always have ID on me. And that is shopping at Aldi when a special is on. You have to be quick on your feet at Aldi I can tell you... :D
:lol:

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:25 pm

g-boaf wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:RoadID for me, as well as a medic alert necklace.
I didn't even know the RoadID existed. I'll be getting one. A friend of mine had a heart attack recently. If something happened to me, I want people to know who I am and who to contact.
Paramedics will have access to your body. They may not have access to your saddle bag or phone (especially if it is locked requiring a number or phrase to unlock it).

I only carry ID in the case I cannot speak to identify myself. This is where the Road ID and Medic Alert come in handy. Considering how cheap both are, they are well worth it.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

skull

Postby skull » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:30 pm

darkelf921 wrote: or phone (especially if it is locked requiring a number or phrase to unlock it).

That is why I don't bother with the ICE numbers. My phone is locked and requires a pass number to access the phone book (or anything else to do with the phone). so the ICE number wouldn't really serve its purpose if I was unable to talk and tell someone the code.

Not saying it is useless tho, as those who do not have locked phone it would work.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:49 pm

human909 wrote:Because it frustrates me how fixated cyclists on these forums are about death and injury.
I carry id, medicare/health insurance, organ donor etc cards with me when I am not cycling too. They live in my wallet. Except when I am cyclign and don't take my wallet, in which case they are in the waterproof bag with my phone.

Not fixated on it, but I have actually needed my id, medicare and health insurance cards before.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 am

simonn wrote:
human909 wrote:Because it frustrates me how fixated cyclists on these forums are about death and injury.
I carry id, medicare/health insurance, organ donor etc cards with me when I am not cycling too. They live in my wallet. Except when I am cyclign and don't take my wallet, in which case they are in the waterproof bag with my phone.

Not fixated on it, but I have actually needed my id, medicare and health insurance cards before.
My ID lives in my wallet and it's rare that I don't take it with me when I'm cycling. I also have a 'Gong ride ID card the that I leave in my bag. I'm also not particularly concerned, but it seems a very simple thing to do that can make a big difference if things do turn ugly.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Take my wallet with me most of the time, goes in my carradice saddlebag. Wallet has all the cards I need in it
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Had to laugh at that you are so right in France being white without id isn't so much of a problem. I got pulled of a Paris metro station with a load of immigrants once and all "le flics" wanted to do was tease me about the aussie rugby team being a load of nancy boys (or words to that effect as my French doesn't cover all the "largo") then they let me go.

toolonglegs wrote:I have a French ID card ( carte sejour )... when in France you are supposed to have ID at all times. For foreigners a passport should be carried at all times ( yup even climbing Alpe D'huez :P ) ... got to keep an eye on those illegal immigrants after all.
But in reality you will be fine unless you are breaking laws on a bike... still it only takes one police man or gendarme to ask you, if you haven't got it you may well be locked up until you can prove your id.
If you aren't white then the chances are much higher of being asked for id :roll: .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:29 pm

^^^when I applied for my work / residency cards the first thing I was told was " don't worry, your the right color, it will go through easily " :roll: . It went through very easily.

jzr

Postby jzr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 pm

With or without ID, a bigger danger in my view is being 'assisted' under any circumstance following an incident (in whatever sport you like) by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Case in point - someone I know was on a bus recently and saw the aftermath of two cyclists being collected by a 4WD. The driver in an attempt to 'help' was seen to be dragging one of the injured off the road and over to the curb in a panic - the person was in no state to be moved in such a way, allegedly convulsing at the time (massive danger of causing spinal injury). Don't know how it ended but gee I'd hate to be worse off than I otherwise would have been because someone wanted to help but had no bloody idea what they were doing.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:29 pm

jzr wrote:Case in point - someone I know was on a bus recently and saw the aftermath of two cyclists being collected by a 4WD. The driver in an attempt to 'help' was seen to be dragging one of the injured off the road and over to the curb in a panic - the person was in no state to be moved in such a way, allegedly convulsing at the time (massive danger of causing spinal injury). Don't know how it ended but gee I'd hate to be worse off than I otherwise would have been because someone wanted to help but had no bloody idea what they were doing.
Actually, removal from a location of danger ie. Roadway, is a priority. There's no point in having a dead victim with a preserved spinal cord, along with dead and injured helpers. You just have to see the big picture and know that following an accident, you will always be playing Russian Roulette. If you don't like it, then learn to manage your risks and avoid accidents.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:13 am

While discussing first aid isn't exactly on topic, it still is relevant and useful...
sogood wrote:Actually, removal from a location of danger ie. Roadway, is a priority. There's no point in having a dead victim with a preserved spinal cord, along with dead and injured helpers. You just have to see the big picture and know that following an accident, you will always be playing Russian Roulette. If you don't like it, then learn to manage your risks and avoid accidents.
:shock:

I can't say that I'm excited by your first aid instincts/training. Unless it is a high speed road with a blind corner then I can't agree with your that the road way is a danger and removal from it is a priority. I also don't see "that following an accident, you will always be playing Russian Roulette" is at all a common scenario.

Sure ensuring the the attendees and then the victims are safe from further harm is an absolute priority. But most circumstances THIS DOES NOT INVOLVE MOVING THE VICTIM!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:13 am

Id card, debit card, $10 cash, phone, translink go card, house key and phone (in a emergency contact zip lock bag - numbers etc on the outside) in my jersey. If I'm in a accident and medial personal are attending to me they'll see my home number on my heart rate monitor when they cut open my jersey. To all those out there bickering harden the f**k up and go outside for a ride.

I still get carded when purchasing beverages after those long stinking hot rewarding rides so take that all you complaining oldies out there :twisted:

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:28 am

human909 wrote:I can't say that I'm excited by your first aid instincts/training. Unless it is a high speed road with a blind corner then I can't agree with your that the road way is a danger and removal from it is a priority. I also don't see "that following an accident, you will always be playing Russian Roulette" is at all a common scenario.

Sure ensuring the the attendees and then the victims are safe from further harm is an absolute priority. But most circumstances THIS DOES NOT INVOLVE MOVING THE VICTIM!
You have just contradicted yourself above.

After any accident, management is a series of finding the least evil. In this case, if moving the victim will alleviate the greater evil (further injuries to victim, helpers and others) of environmental dangers, then so be it. Given JZR's earlier colourful 3rd hand story, it sure is insufficient basis to criticise the driver. Removing the injured from the road way could well be a most legitimate thing to do. Getting worried of what helpers would do and narrowly focused on spinal injuries amongst other injuries and dangers is just poorly based paranoia and losing sight of the bigger picture.

BTW, per JZR's post, active convulsion is no contra-indication to moving a patient, and it certainly does not induce spinal injuries per se.
Last edited by sogood on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angus

Postby Angus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:11 am

There have been a few variations over the years but the basic tenet has remained the same for first aid;

DR ABC

Danger - check for immediate danger to yourself and the injured person. In the case of a cyclist crash, moving the person off the road may be the best thing, every situation will be different and if you are ever the rescuer you've just got to make the best call on that at the time.

The other letters are are for Response, airways, breathing, circulation.

A final D has been added now I think for de-fib seeing as many workplaces and public areas have de-fib machines available, so its DR ABCD

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:57 am

toolonglegs wrote:^^^when I applied for my work / residency cards the first thing I was told was " don't worry, your the right color, it will go through easily " :roll: . It went through very easily.
Comparing my white self with some not so white colleagues, Australia is not that much different.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 am

Angus wrote:Danger - check for immediate danger to yourself and the injured person. In the case of a cyclist crash, moving the person off the road may be the best thing, every situation will be different and if you are ever the rescuer you've just got to make the best call on that at the time.
Have been in that situation on more than one occasion (and the injured person a couple of times), mostly on quiet gravel roads and lanes. But once was on a busy road. We had a rider who had gone OTB and slammed into the tarmac at 55kmh. He was initially not moving, not conscious, then later roused a little. He was lying in the middle of the main road across the Otways to Lorne. A doctor soon stopped, and we lifted and moved him to the roadside (out of the sun on a hot day). We had checked before this that he had movement of arms and legs.

Leaving a patient in the middle of a road with busy two-way traffic, while waiting for what turned out to be about 15-20mins for the ambulance, was not a very sensible option.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 pm

il padrone wrote:Leaving a patient in the middle of a road with busy two-way traffic, while waiting for what turned out to be about 15-20mins for the ambulance, was not a very sensible option.
I agree. But the original scenario described was nothing like that.
sogood wrote: You have just contradicted yourself above.

After any accident, management is a series of finding the least evil. In this case, if moving the victim will alleviate the greater evil (further injuries to victim, helpers and others) of environmental dangers, then so be it....
There is no contradiction.

In the vast majority of circumstances you can ensure approaching traffic are safely warned and are stopped so as to not endanger the victims or the first responders. Sure if there are strong indications of no spinal injury then getting them off the road is a clear priority but first you need to make the area safe and then check on the patient.

This is exactly how things played out when my riding partner got hit on a 80kph road. I immediately stopped and checked for traffic. Approaching traffic 200m away and slowing. I used my bicycle as a barrier 10m up the road. I went to attend to the victim. After initial assessment the victim was helped to the edge of the road. My bicycle and the offending car was cleared off the road. Calls were made.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:13 pm

human909 wrote:Sure if there are strong indications of no spinal injury then getting them off the road is a clear priority but first you need to make the area safe and then check on the patient.
You got it wrong again!

There's no way a helper, let alone lay people, to be able to fully assess the presence or absence of spinal injuries. Some of them can be very subtle, especially in an unconscious/semi-conscious patient. Even if there's a spinal injury, removing the injured from a road is still a priority, but just done with skill. See the big risk picture and don't over-emphasise one particular form of injury.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:40 pm

sogood wrote:
human909 wrote:Sure if there are strong indications of no spinal injury then getting them off the road is a clear priority but first you need to make the area safe and then check on the patient.
You got it wrong again!

There's no way a helper, let alone lay people, to be able to fully assess the presence or absence of spinal injuries. Some of them can be very subtle, especially in an unconscious/semi-conscious patient. Even if there's a spinal injury, removing the injured from a road is still a priority, but just done with skill. See the big risk picture and don't over-emphasise one particular form of injury.
Well I would disagree. And would prefer somebody other that you to deal with such situations. Your insistence that the patient be moved before other sensible precautions are taken is absurd.

Normally a large visible and stationary object on roads are not at risk of being hit. Otherwise you would see much more reach end collisions with parked cars! What about cyclists stopped in a lane. Are we really catering for motorists so blind they cannot see a couple people, a bike and a motor car stopped in front of them?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:41 pm

human909 wrote:Well I would disagree. And would prefer somebody other that you to deal with such situations. Your insistence that the patient be moved before other sensible precautions are taken is absurd.
Better put a note on your road id then - In the event of an emergency not to be attended by Sogood.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:58 pm

RonK wrote:Better put a note on your road id then - In the event of an emergency not to be attended by Sogood.
LOL!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:53 pm

jzr wrote:With or without ID, a bigger danger in my view is being 'assisted' under any circumstance following an incident (in whatever sport you like) by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Case in point - someone I know was on a bus recently and saw the aftermath of two cyclists being collected by a 4WD. The driver in an attempt to 'help' was seen to be dragging one of the injured off the road and over to the curb in a panic - the person was in no state to be moved in such a way, allegedly convulsing at the time (massive danger of causing spinal injury). Don't know how it ended but gee I'd hate to be worse off than I otherwise would have been because someone wanted to help but had no bloody idea what they were doing.
And I know a quadriplegic who ended up that way after being pulled from under a car. If they hadn't been pulled out... who knows.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:08 pm

twizzle wrote:And I know a quadriplegic who ended up that way after being pulled from under a car. If they hadn't been pulled out... who knows.
Twizzle, a sad sensationalistic n=1 example. You really like to use these don't you?

No one hear of those who have been removed from points of danger and lived.