Collision between me and a car - Kalamunda Rd

embee8

Collision between me and a car - Kalamunda Rd

Postby embee8 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Didn't know where to post but here is as good as any. Had a very enjoyable 3 & 1/2 hour ride through the Perth hills yesterday. Finally heading home, on Kalamunda Rd High Wycombe, and I was about to cross Wittenoom Road. Car travelling in opposite direction signaled to turn right. I could see he was still moving as I was entering the intersection and hoped he would just be moving slowly, let me pass, then turn. Well, the worst thing happens, he continues, I break and all of a sudden I land on top of his bonnet, then bounce onto the road.

All happens in a split second yet it's really odd seeing blue sky and car bonnet all in one as you roll and bounce.

Landed on my back, I think, and my head - and the helmet has a great dent in it. Three or four people stopped - as did the driver. I didn't lose consciousness but was told by everyone not to move. Someone called the ambo - they came in about 5 mins - and someone took my bike back to their place so it wouldn't be left on the road. Very hot day and i was on tarmac so people brought stuff to cover my face too.

Taken to hospital, nothing broken, some scratches and bruises and taking NSAID anti-infalammatory meds and Panadol. Bike doesn't look good though - broken rims, cracks on tube paint (haven't checked if the tubes are cracked).

Police weren't called but the driver said he was going to report the incident at the local station. When I finally got home 6 hours later I called 131 444 and was told police would come by my place to take a statement. Well, that didn't happen, so I'll go to the local station and give them my statement.

All in all, I feel very lucky.
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

Red Rider

Re: Collision between me and a car - Kalamunda Rd

Postby Red Rider » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:53 pm

Glad you came out of that incident fairly OK.

I'm pretty sure the police should have been called in that instance.

Good luck with recovery and insurance etc.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Red Rider wrote:Glad you came out of that incident fairly OK.
+ 1
I'm pretty sure the police should have been called in that instance.
Very much depends on the value of the damage and if alcohol/drugs where a factor. If the they are not and the value is under the threshold all that is needed is a report to Police at a later time.

Andrew

embee8

Postby embee8 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks. Afterwards I thought: :x bugger, should have called the police but, as you can imagine, not thinking too straight at that time.

Have (finally) filled in the online crash report. Took a couple of hours with website not cooperating. I am usually okay with all things computer-wise and it was very frustrating.

Now to see how this goes.
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Great to see you can still post up about it, heal well.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Glad you survived the hit in one piece. Bikes can be replaced, even those long-time favourites, but injuries are a whole different ball game.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

JBark

Postby JBark » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Red Rider wrote: I'm pretty sure the police should have been called in that instance.
Yeah, when I was hit in my car a while back, police said they'd only attend if there was a large amount of damage or an injury that required ambo call out. I'm really surprised they didn't come out in this case, since they showed up for mine because the guy that hit me hurt his neck.

PortableDave

Postby PortableDave » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Good that you are okay. I got hit earlier this year and I agree it's an odd feeling that split second while you are floating through the air and you know whats coming.

embee8

Postby embee8 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Does anyone know the process once the Police Incident Report has been submitted?

Cheers,
MB
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:02 am

Info here may be of help. Take photos of all your injuries asap and if you haven't, may pay to drop in to your GP so that he can record any/all injuries in your file. You will get a case number from the insurance commission which will cover any medical expenses. When its time to close the case (12months +) inform the insurance commission of any permanent injuries no matter how minor such as scaring or nerve damage etc. They may have you examined by one of their medics and you may get some compensation.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:07 pm

Pushy wrote:drop in to your GP so that he can record any/all injuries in your file.
Absolutely essential! And keep dropping in over the next month or so. Take up any proposed referrals.

Hopefully everything will fade away in a few weeks.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

embee8

Postby embee8 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Two days after being hit I travelled to Melbourne for work, for the rest of the week, and so didn't see my GP. Have now made the appointment to see him on Monday. Physio appointment made as well.

As a member of BWA I also provided them with all the details via their on-line contact page. This led to a call from Bicycle Network Victoria Rider's Rights Officer. Discussed my rights - obviously - and I was sent a template letter of demand. Today or tomorrow I will complete that and send to the driver that hit me. Good support and good knowledge.

Still sore, will discuss comprehensively with the GP.

Only good thing out of this is the evaluating and purchasing of a new bike :D
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

azzurribike

Postby azzurribike » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Hope you recover quickly. :D
be the change in the world you want to see

embee8

Postby embee8 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Update:
Summer holidays is not the best time to get the police to enter crash reports and follow up, let me tell you. The Snr Const handling this case has been very helpful on the phone, and constantly telling me it is also very difficult for her as "public servants have two extra weeks of holidays than the rest of us, and they take them all over the Dec-Jan period ... yada yada ..." etc.
So, from 10th Dec when I entered the crash report, it took a few phone calls until it was entered on 14th Jan. Still the police hadn't knocked on the driver's door. Still waiting... :x

Have sent a letter of demand to the driver; based on a template Bicycle Victoria supplied. As a member of BWA, the Rider's Rights Officer called and discussed what to do. Very helpful. She also advised if nothing has been received after 3 weeks to give her a call. Well, called her last week and left message with a colleague: no phone back. Called again today and emailed her and still haven't got a call back. No-one can even tell me if she is working today. :x Probably on holiday.

Anyway, had a call today from the driver's insurance company advising he had put in a claim based on my letter to him (for bike, helmet, and other damaged property etc etc) and I would be receiving a letter shortly requesting my version and filling out a diagram of the incident. So, we are moving forwward :D

More later...
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

smerm07

Postby smerm07 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:59 pm

Glad to hear that you are ok.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:11 pm

A sad story and glad you are ok personally. Boy it certainly takes its time to get sorted though. Sounds like your persistence is paying off.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

embee8

Postby embee8 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Next update: Have been calling the car driver's insurance company (SGIO), as well as the Insurance Commission of WA to get this moving. Finally received call from SGIO that liability has been accepted by their client :D :D :D
Now I need to email them the replacement bike and gear quote, plus photos. See how long that takes.
It's almost 2 & 1/2 months and I'm itching to get on a road-bike again.
So, still moving forward...
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:40 pm

embee8 wrote:Next update: Have been calling the car driver's insurance company (SGIO), as well as the Insurance Commission of WA to get this moving. Finally received call from SGIO that liability has been accepted by their client :D :D :D
Now I need to email them the replacement bike and gear quote, plus photos. See how long that takes.
It's almost 2 & 1/2 months and I'm itching to get on a road-bike again.
So, still moving forward...
2 and a half months is quick in insurance land, in my experience. We've finally had an acceptance of liability by a public liability insurer SIX years after the accident and two years after a court case was brought against them (yes, there were other issues as well, but it took until a week before the court trial for the insurer to start negotiating and finally admit liability :roll: ).

Huff&Puff

Postby Huff&Puff » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Your so Lucky. Mine was a hit & run, still haven't heard from the police I've done an online report. I ended up with a broken clavical (Shoulder) plus brusing like you have never seen before. Not nice being cleaned up by a truck especially when it looks deliberate.
More people cycling.

embee8

Postby embee8 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Huff&Puff wrote:Your so Lucky. Mine was a hit & run, still haven't heard from the police I've done an online report. I ended up with a broken clavical (Shoulder) plus brusing like you have never seen before. Not nice being cleaned up by a truck especially when it looks deliberate.
and
Summernight wrote:2 and a half months is quick in insurance land, in my experience. We've finally had an acceptance of liability by a public liability insurer SIX years after the accident and two years after a court case was brought against them (yes, there were other issues as well, but it took until a week before the court trial for the insurer to start negotiating and finally admit liability ).
Sorry to hear about both your stories ... I have no reason to complain :shock:

*Ouch* to broken clavicle!
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

embee8

Postby embee8 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:30 pm

This should be the final post ... after calling the other guy's insurance company weekly I have now received full payment for replacement of the bike, helmet and other items !!! Yay !!! :D

SGIO paid based on the quote I supplied and the assessor ok'd it within a few days.

The Insurance Commission of WA has sent a cheque out for the medical bills - $200-$300 - which I should receive in a couple of days; and I have some more bills to send them.

So, this Saturday will be bike shopping day ... woohoo. :D :D

Thanks all, for the support; and hope this never happens again.
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 pm

This is a great outcome. It is a shame it happened at all. At least you got what you deserved in payment (or will do when the post arrives!!).

Enjoy your shopping trip. Looking forward to hear what you settle on :)

Marmoset

Postby Marmoset » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:31 pm

Good result - I got my money a bit quicker than 2 1/2 months.I got knocked off on a roundabout about 3 weeks ago, the driver admitted liability and she was insured with SGIO, they'd agreed to pay out for a new bike/helmet/shorts within a week and I got my money yesterday - already knew what bike I wanted so bought it last night :D I just have to look at it for another 3 weeks now whilst I'm still in a splint for my fractured wrist :?

Rich

embee8

Postby embee8 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Marmoset wrote:Good result - I got my money a bit quicker than 2 1/2 months.I got knocked off on a roundabout about 3 weeks ago, the driver admitted liability and she was insured with SGIO, they'd agreed to pay out for a new bike/helmet/shorts within a week and I got my money yesterday - already knew what bike I wanted so bought it last night :D I just have to look at it for another 3 weeks now whilst I'm still in a splint for my fractured wrist :?

Rich
Well done! Seems like a crash just before xmas/new year slows everything down. Although, did the police come out for your collision?

By the way, what bike did you choose?
Last edited by embee8 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

embee8

Postby embee8 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:16 pm

So, finally went to my LBS to choose the bike: Trek Domane 5.2. Needs to be ordered :( but meant to be in within 5 working days :D
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4