Video Camera who uses one?

outnabike

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby outnabike » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Riding to work yesterday my gopro hero 2 was acting up. start recording and few seconds to a few minutes later it would emit the 3 beeps indicating it had stopped recording. I'm like WT it's got enough free space on the SD card. I ended up having to format the SD card in the gopro to stabilise it. Was a shame it was misbehaving got myself a moron motorist and let rip with my air zound

Hi Baalzamon,
Different things cause different issues. Some times turning the thing off removing and replacing the battery, will reset some cameras. It helps with the Sony in any case.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:08 am

outnabike wrote:
eldavo wrote:I've just been testing mine on DIY bar mount using standard camera threaded fitting it has in base.
The kogan sunglasses tick all boxes for convenience and worth it to try helmet cam sway me towards the Roam2 mounted on bike, and leanest possible for helmet.
Hi eldavo,
I reckon on specs they are pretty much rubbish, and I have seen many complain of having to hold the head up too high on road bikes. An upright flat bar may have a different position though.
Beware though, not to mention the bike, or you may get the hipster on the bso treatment. :D
That was the Roam2 on bar mount tested. I don't have any drop bar bikes so the sunnies not an issue there. As for the specs, it's more a nerd toy and dip toe in water of video on bike for $29 already done it's job for me. Beware while they don't make you a dirty voyeuristic pervert (as guns don't make people killers) it does chip at the civilised decorum that suppresses the dirty old man beneath the surface =D

I didn't have either recording with first incident of year at low speed side bump to stationary into a guy who turned in front of me after slowing and I rang bell to pass, he didn't hear/notice/look before turning off the path to take an unmarked shortcut down side of a grassy hill. Nothing exciting, he was wearing sunglasses pre-sunrise, maybe he was testing the same kogan sunnies =P

The sunnies crashed for first time this morning after 10min and wouldn't turn off, I found the reset button and tested them through the day, confirmed charged and worked all OK this evening home.

takai

Postby takai » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Anyone tried using one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190738115807 ... 189wt_1141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

I have one coming for the car, but noticed it has an internal battery too which could be useful.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Got a lovely present in the mail today - a replacement GoPro Hero3!!! Not my old one so presumably the previous one had their faulty whatever and needed replacing. Now to instal all the stuff and use it again. Very excited!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:32 pm

takai wrote:Anyone tried using one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190738115807 ... 189wt_1141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

I have one coming for the car, but noticed it has an internal battery too which could be useful.
$9 plus postage? Let us know how it goes, sounds like you are only paying for a box.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:42 pm

Summernight wrote:Got a lovely present in the mail today - a replacement GoPro Hero3!!! Not my old one so presumably the previous one had their faulty whatever and needed replacing. Now to instal all the stuff and use it again. Very excited!
That was a pretty quick turn around too wasn't it?

Andrew
Andrew

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Summernight wrote:Got a lovely present in the mail today - a replacement GoPro Hero3!!! Not my old one so presumably the previous one had their faulty whatever and needed replacing. Now to install all the stuff and use it again. Very excited!

Andrew
Hmm.. Sent on the 8th of February by Registered International Post. Received by GoPro somewhere around 11th-12th February (as the delivery driver didn't check the button to say it had been received. :| ). GoPro said 10-15 days from receipt to check and confirm whether they'd replace or fix under warranty. Then they sent it back. So about right, IMO. Just under a month.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Summernight wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
Summernight wrote:Got a lovely present in the mail today - a replacement GoPro Hero3!!! Not my old one so presumably the previous one had their faulty whatever and needed replacing. Now to install all the stuff and use it again. Very excited!

Andrew
Hmm.. Sent on the 8th of February by Registered International Post. Received by GoPro somewhere around 11th-12th February (as the delivery driver didn't check the button to say it had been received. :| ). GoPro said 10-15 days from receipt to check and confirm whether they'd replace or fix under warranty. Then they sent it back. So about right, IMO. Just under a month.
Hmmm. I sent mine before you and they still haven't received it. It sounds like I have a problem.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:35 pm

darkelf921 wrote:
Summernight wrote:Hmm.. Sent on the 8th of February by Registered International Post. Received by GoPro somewhere around 11th-12th February (as the delivery driver didn't check the button to say it had been received. :| ). GoPro said 10-15 days from receipt to check and confirm whether they'd replace or fix under warranty. Then they sent it back. So about right, IMO. Just under a month.
Hmmm. I sent mine before you and they still haven't received it. It sounds like I have a problem.
Sent by Registered International Post? Or by normal post? If Registered Post, Australia Post can track it (even if you can't) and they would definitely have told you to lodge a complaint by now as they told me I should (and I emailed GoPro to check they'd received it before I took it further - which is when GoPro told me they'd received it).

I'm assuming you've emailed GoPro and they've told you they hadn't received it? I didn't get a confirmation email of receipt - I had to chase it up.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:03 pm

I've had success conveniently piggy-backing the Roam2 on my favoured Cygolite Expilion quick release mount that can swivel left and right about 45° range. Office celotape has been doing the job holding my mp3 cap to speaker prior to silicon strap mount from old Fiber Flares. I could also use those straps to fasten these two together, but the celotape is safer. Safety lanyard used in case of Roam2 separation from the light.

Video is smooth, riding the limo with 3" tyres and dual suspension I expect it to get worse on the rigid narrower tyre bikes in queue for a ride.

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:04 pm

eldavo wrote:I've had success conveniently piggy-backing the Roam2 on my favoured Cygolite Expilion quick release mount that can swivel left and right about 45° range. Office celotape has been doing the job holding my mp3 cap to speaker prior to silicon strap mount from old Fiber Flares. I could also use those straps to fasten these two together, but the celotape is safer. Safety lanyard used in case of Roam2 separation from the light.

Video is smooth, riding the limo with 3" tyres and dual suspension I expect it to get worse on the rigid narrower tyre bikes in queue for a ride.

That Contour mount looks awesome :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Anyone else having issues with sun flare with their GoPro ? I know it is just the combination of the season & the time I am commuting but it is seriousy affecting the quality of images at the moment - I am in two minds whether to file a report of one incident simply because of the poor qualifty of the video.

Any suggestions for improving ?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Do you have an example of your sun flare issues?

I had some issues with sun flare but I think they were exacerbated by the smudgy fingerprints I'd put on the housing. Most of my commute is between buildings.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:30 pm

rabobank89 wrote:That Contour mount looks awesome :lol:
Not denying my roots
http://wasalvage.net/photogallery.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:44 pm

eldavo wrote:
rabobank89 wrote:That Contour mount looks awesome :lol:
Not denying my roots
http://wasalvage.net/photogallery.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eldavo=Luigi? :? :wink:
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:19 am

Summernight wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:
Summernight wrote:Hmm.. Sent on the 8th of February by Registered International Post. Received by GoPro somewhere around 11th-12th February (as the delivery driver didn't check the button to say it had been received. :| ). GoPro said 10-15 days from receipt to check and confirm whether they'd replace or fix under warranty. Then they sent it back. So about right, IMO. Just under a month.
Sent by Registered International Post? Or by normal post? If Registered Post, Australia Post can track it (even if you can't) and they would definitely have told you to lodge a complaint by now as they told me I should (and I emailed GoPro to check they'd received it before I took it further - which is when GoPro told me they'd received it).

I'm assuming you've emailed GoPro and they've told you they hadn't received it? I didn't get a confirmation email of receipt - I had to chase it up.
After the 8th email, it was discovered I had accidentally used my PO Box as the return address. The replacement camera has been sitting in America the whole time as they cannot ship to a PO Box. Someone finally discovered this and asked me for my residential address. It only took 5 weeks and 8 emails. I still don't have the camera though.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:21 am

For those interested there is a review of the JVC Adixxion HD POV over at MTBR.

Andrew
Andrew

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:24 am

darkelf921 wrote:After the 8th email, it was discovered I had accidentally used my PO Box as the return address. The replacement camera has been sitting in America the whole time as they cannot ship to a PO Box. Someone finally discovered this and asked me for my residential address. It only took 5 weeks and 8 emails. I still don't have the camera though.
Ouchies, but I'm glad your old camera and/or the replacement camera weren't lost in transit (which was my huge fear) and I hope you now get the camera quickly.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:39 am

Not sure how useful this is would be cyclists where we wear helmets but it is still interesting innovation.

Details of the Lobster-X wearable camera can be found at BikeRumor.com.

Andrew
Andrew

JBark

Postby JBark » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:50 pm

eldavo wrote:I've had success conveniently piggy-backing the Roam2 on my favoured Cygolite Expilion quick release mount that can swivel left and right about 45° range. Office celotape has been doing the job holding my mp3 cap to speaker prior to silicon strap mount from old Fiber Flares. I could also use those straps to fasten these two together, but the celotape is safer. Safety lanyard used in case of Roam2 separation from the light.

Bloody genius, why didn't I think of this?? The handlebar mount on my cheap DX camera broke a while back, and I've been looking for a way to mount it back up. I just picked up an Expilion 350 last week, and never even considered just attaching them together.

Problem solved!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:14 pm

I like your style. "Pelican Case" level rugged upgrade with packing strap reinforcement =D
As a user of the same Expilion 350, mine clicks on securely/easily, and looks like you've tightened the waist line of the rear mount to avoid the snag when removing it if you don't hold the tape in when releasing. Awesome, 10 rubber chickens from Hex on Good Game.

PS: I may have to one-up on MacGuyver scale with a cable tie to tuck the rear waistline.

JBark

Postby JBark » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:07 pm

eldavo wrote:I like your style. "Pelican Case" level rugged upgrade with packing strap reinforcement =D
As a user of the same Expilion 350, mine clicks on securely/easily, and looks like you've tightened the waist line of the rear mount to avoid the snag when removing it if you don't hold the tape in when releasing. Awesome, 10 rubber chickens from Hex on Good Game.

PS: I may have to one-up on MacGuyver scale with a cable tie to tuck the rear waistline.
Haha, you nailed exactly why I put that extra strip on, I noticed it catching on the mount. And yeah, that thin strip of tape is already falling off so is getting replaced with a cable tie. My problem is finding a very thin cable tie that is also long enough to reach. The ones I've dug up at work are just a cm or so too short.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:44 pm

MTBR Review have a fairly in-depth review of the GoPro Hero3. One thing that caught my attention was their mention of the "The Frame" mount. Has anyone played with one of these? I was thinking it might make helmet mounting a better option, at least in the summer with on the road riding.

Andrew
Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Andrew, you're better off using the skeleton rear hatch. At least the case then gives your cam some protection from water, and impacts should it ever come off.

Only time I;d use this mount is inside my car, where I'd be looking to power the cam off a USB cord fitted to my fag lighter.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:18 am

trailgumby wrote:Andrew, you're better off using the skeleton rear hatch. At least the case then gives your cam some protection from water, and impacts should it ever come off.

Only time I;d use this mount is inside my car, where I'd be looking to power the cam off a USB cord fitted to my fag lighter.
+1

The Frame is for indoor and car use in my case. I haven't used the skeleton rear door because I'm too paranoid when I'm riding. If there's a hint of rain around it'll follow me :-). I use the waterproof doors all the time when using the Gopros on the bike.

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS