New 'Dora' helmet design incorporates indicators + F & R li

Ross

New 'Dora' helmet design incorporates indicators + F & R li

Postby Ross » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:11 am

http://road.cc/content/news/77524-new-h ... tors-video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I reckon it's a good idea though there's no mention of how powerfull or bright the F & R lights are, and if the rear flashes.

Aushiker

Re: New 'Dora' helmet design incorporates indicators + F & R

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:24 am

Ross wrote:http://road.cc/content/news/77524-new-h ... tors-video

I reckon it's a good idea though there's no mention of how powerfull or bright the F & R lights are, and if the rear flashes.
So you are approaching an intersection, vehicle on your left waiting to turn, you indicate a left turn with your helmet. What do you do then? Turn your head right so that they can see the indicator? I am struggling to see how these are going to be useful except for traffic immediately to one's right or left.

I think I will stick to hand signals.

Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:29 pm

So I indicate left, turn my head to the right for a headcheck and people in front of me see a big arrow flashing towards my right. Have I got that correct?

Not for me.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:47 pm

I reckon you blokes have got it wrong.
The set-up shown is the complete helmet set-up. Your head fits right up into the artificial dummies head and the shoulder pads then fit over your shoulders. This will provide added protection and prevent the shoulders from spinning around.
This will prevent unnecessary head checking, which takes one eyes off the road, and causes confusion of your intent.
It must be a prototype as the eye holes could be a problem. :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Where's Dora??
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:55 pm

I want to know if it comes in Ben10 I don't like Dora the explorer, too much pink.

More seriously it would be better if it was motion activated like the recent one that was advertised and lit up all over in different patterns depending on what your head did.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 am

Aushiker wrote:
Ross wrote:http://road.cc/content/news/77524-new-h ... tors-video

So you are approaching an intersection, vehicle on your left waiting to turn, you indicate a left turn with your helmet. What do you do then? Turn your head right so that they can see the indicator? I am struggling to see how these are going to be useful except for traffic immediately to one's right or left.

I think I will stick to hand signals.

Andrew
It would ideally be used in addition to hand signals.
You could say the same about the F & R lights, once you turn your head they are no longer at the front or back yet thousands of cyclists already have helmet lights and don't seem too concerned about this factor.