Pretzelled Wheel

Uba Tracker

Pretzelled Wheel

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:38 am

Hi folks,
Just bought myself a new Specialized Rockhopper MTB and while fitting the trip meter notice that front wheel is buckled. I haven't even ridden it yet so at some point before I bought it it's copped a hit. I've taken it back to the place of purchase and they're going to true it up. Now the thing that bothers me here is that it's a brand new bike, never been ridden (by me) and has a mildly buckled wheel. My concern is that the hoop is now compromised, trueing it up will help but it essentially a bent wheel with internal stresses constantly fighting the spokes. What's everyones view on this?
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

jacks1071

Re: Pretzelled Wheel

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:44 am

Depends what you called "buckled" - given that you're aware of it, its brand new and the shop didn't pick it up if you are talking more than a few mm out of true I would be asking for a replacement.

If its only a few mm out of true then let them true it up, its not that uncommon to take a brand new bike out of a box and for the wheels not to be running perfectly true. The shop should have picked it up prior to delivery.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 am

I measured the run out at 4mm laterally and 1.5mm on the radius. Like yourself I'm surprised and a little disappointed that the pre-delivery check didn't spot it.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Uba Tracker wrote:My concern is that the hoop is now compromised, trueing it up will help but it essentially a bent wheel with internal stresses constantly fighting the spokes. What's everyones view on this?
There is no way in which the rim (hoop) could be compromised by that slight out of true. The straightness and trueness of a wheel is 95% spokes.

It is poor that the shop let it out without truing the wheels, but I wouldn't worry about any effect of it.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 pm

Uba Tracker wrote:I measured the run out at 4mm laterally and 1.5mm on the radius. Like yourself I'm surprised and a little disappointed that the pre-delivery check didn't spot it.
For most wheels that wouldn't be too much of an issue.

4mm is hardly pretzelled :-)
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks for the input guys, good to have some reassurance that this is not really a problem just a nuisance. :D

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Just as a foot note the wheel is now running true, unfortunately the black spokes are scratched and the previously nice white stickers are grease stained with finger prints. sigh.................. :?
Ah well it is a Mountain Bike, and a bit of cosmetic damage is to be expected I guess.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:02 am

Sounds like a ruff as guts bike shop, if they can't true a wheel without scratching the spokes and not bothering with wiping things down before giving it back to go! :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:01 am

Have a go at those grease stains with some Mr Sheen. It might do the trick, it cleaned bitumen off my bike.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:47 am

foo on patrol wrote:Sounds like a ruff as guts bike shop, if they can't true a wheel without scratching the spokes and not bothering with wiping things down before giving it back to go! :roll:
Yes I'll lodge my objection by shopping else where in furure, there's no shortage of bike shops in Toowoomba so one would think that good after sales service would be high on the agenda - as it turns out I guess not.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Hey Uba, a bloke I used to race against has one up there. His name is Brian Page ( hope it's not his) and he was a top bloke on and off the bike and old school. I don't know what shop it is that he has but I believe he helps the young up and coming blokes a bit with their race craft. :wink:

I worked at one of the shops in Ipswich part time when he was managing it and he was always good with his customer service than. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:33 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Hey Uba, a bloke I used to race against has one up there. His name is Brian Page ( hope it's not his) and he was a top bloke on and off the bike and old school. I don't know what shop it is that he has but I believe he helps the young up and coming blokes a bit with their race craft. :wink:

I worked at one of the shops in Ipswich part time when he was managing it and he was always good with his customer service than. :)

Foo
G'day Foo,
I know Pagey quite well, and no it's not his shop. Brian's a great bloke and he runs a very tight ship service wise, had HE been the Specialized dealer in Toowoomba I would have bought from him and we wouldn't be having this conversation about sub-standard after sales service.

Hey Warthog, thanks for the tip about Mr Sheen, I tried it this arvo but the stains are well and truly there to stay. Good to know that it gets tar off though.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 am

That's good to know Uba. We used to push him hard at training while he was in our club and through that, he was the only rider to give Kenrick Tucker any stick and he was around 15yrs older. :shock: Would loved to have seen him in his younger days but I digress. :oops:

Foo
Goal 6000km