North Fremantle Gets PSP Bicycle Lane Connector

Aushiker

North Fremantle Gets PSP Bicycle Lane Connector

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:27 pm

A small step in the continued development of the Fremantle – Perth Principal Shared Path (PSP) has taken place recently with the completion of the shared path between the North Fremantle train station and Pearse Street – Tydeman Road in North Fremantle.

I have a few more comments on the path and a video of the riding experience on my blog for those bored and/or interested in such things.

It is good to see more paths getting put in place.

Andrew

88mph

Re: North Fremantle Gets PSP Bicycle Lane Connector

Postby 88mph » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Nice work Andrew and thanks for your efforts.

You're right, it's only one small step but a step in the right direction nonetheless.

A few more of these connectors and we'll have a straight run from Freo to the City :D

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Brilliant! Appreciate your summary and commentary as well, Andrew.

Not sure why they have put up cycle lane signage though given it's a shared path. How hard is it to get the signage right? It's seriously not that complicated...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:57 pm

88mph wrote:Nice work Andrew and thanks for your efforts.

You're right, it's only one small step but a step in the right direction nonetheless.

A few more of these connectors and we'll have a straight run from Freo to the City :D
Thanks. Well there is a new section coming sometime this year filling in the gap between the Shenton Park Train Station and the Loch Street Train Station so we are crawling there.

Andrew

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Now we just need a better way to cross the (Stirling Hwy) bridge!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 pm

wellington_street wrote:Not sure why they have put up cycle lane signage though given it's a shared path. How hard is it to get the signage right? It's seriously not that complicated...
Good catch! Missed that. Will check the other end tonight and then update the post. An interesting aspect is that the road marking may tick the box as the Road Code allows for a shared path sign or a shared path road marking and the sign just needs a walker and cyclist. Not sure if the marking needs a border but.

For those interested the correct sign is ...

Andrew

88mph

Postby 88mph » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Thanks. Well there is a new section coming sometime this year filling in the gap between the Shenton Park Train Station and the Loch Street Train Station so we are crawling there.

Andrew
I've been wating for this ever since it was announced. plus the section from Grant Street to Cottesloe that has been pegged out. Hopefully by years end :D

gazman

Postby gazman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Is there a sign for entering the shared path on the correct side? :wink:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:31 am

I have been a bit slow on getting back on this one. Following Wellington_Street post raising the issue of the signs I went and had another look. Not only where the signs wrong for the path, they also have them in place marking both Congdon Road and Pearse Street as bicycle lanes.

I have sent off an email to Brad Pettitt, Mayor of Fremantle and the City of Fremantle as well. It follows:

Dear Brad

I am emailing you in regards to the recently completed North Fremantle connector path. I have realised that there is a small problem with the signage on the path and the use of signs which appear to change the status of Congdon Road and Pearse Street.

As per your photo and my video of the path at http://aushiker.com/north-fremantle-get ... connector/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can see that "bicycle lane" signs have been installed for both the path and for Congdon Road and Pearse Street.

Bicycle lanes are specific lanes on roads for bicycles as per regulation 213 of the Road Traffic Code 2000. The signs for bicycle lanes are shown in regulation 3 of the Code.

I would suggest that the correct signs for the path are the shared path signs shown again in regulation 3 of the code and these should be place to delineate the start and finish of the path and not change the status of the roads.

Furthermore I have in my blog posting raised the issue of the no-entry sign for northbound riders at the North Fremantle Train Station. The City might want to investigate the possibility of an exemption for cyclists here because as it stands for northbound cyclists to access the path across the railway line, they have to break the law; I am sure not that is something the Council wishes to condone.

Regards

Hopefully it will get sorted in the near future.

Thanks Wellington_Street for raising this.

Andrew

88mph

Postby 88mph » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Have tried the new PSP Connector this week, and not a fan.

It's not a PSP as such, well not like Grant St to Karrakata. This combined with the impossible task of crossing Tydeman road and the maze at North Freo station make this option non-viable.

PSP needs to run on the reserve along the trainline, up over Tydeman Road, then down behind the Swan Hotel.

Please Freo Council, don't o building half arsed PSP's like this. Do it once and get it right :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:04 pm

I had contacted Brad Pettitt and the City of Fremantle about the signage as mentioned by Wellington_Street. Brad got back to me (the City didn't bother to reply) and the signs have now been changed to shared path signs. The 'no entry" at the train station remains as does the signs suggesting Congdon Road and Pearse Street are now shared paths. I have asked Brad for the Council's reasoning on this and what they see as the legal implications.

Regards
Andrew

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:31 pm

88mph wrote:You're right, it's only one small step but a step in the right direction nonetheless.
It's an extremely important step as it removes a particularly dangerous section of road
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks for the update Andrew. I am interested to see what Council's responses are. It is ridiculous that they can't even get simple signage right to enable cyclists to legally use infrastructure designed for them.

the-waves

Postby the-waves » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:57 am

But you have to cross Tydeman road at what is arguably the worst place to cross?

Great that some work has been done, but the net result is a bit of a joke.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 am

the-waves wrote:Great that some work has been done, but the net result is a bit of a joke.
The net result maybe "a bit of joke" for some, but not for all. You seem to ignore the point that is path is not built just for "cyclists" and not built just for cyclists going into Fremantle. I am seeing more local pedestrians using it than I am cyclists for starters and secondly even without this path you still have to use Tydeman Road.

Personally I now cross Tydeman Road regularly and use the path and have to wait no longer than I would at some traffic lights and I have had motorists stop and and allow me to cross Tydeman safely.

I now prefer the path to riding along Tydeman Road and taking on trucks, the left turning vehicles at Port Beach Road intersection and the right turners there as well.

"Net result is a bit of joke" is not my experience having used it a reasonable amount now; I suspect a lot of locals may actually appreciate the path too ... beats walking through the sand patch that was there before.

Andrew

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:00 pm

You're also not forced to cross Tydeman Road where the path comes out, you can always go up to the lights at Queen Victoria Street.

the-waves

Postby the-waves » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 pm

You're partially right, I should withhold judgement until I ride it, but 2 facts remain.

1. Tydeman road is still dangerous to cross, getting across at the traffic lights is still hazarddous due to the high volume turning left on to Tydeman after crossing the bridge - there is not even a zebra crossing there.

2. I think we should hold publicly funded institutions to a higher standard when implementing infrastructure, saying that is is not dedicated cycling infrstructure shouldn't mean that its Ok to be substandard for real worold use by cyclists. The 'net' effect should always be at the front of our minds when evaluating it. Allowing you a safe crossing should not be at the discretion of motorists no matter how you slice it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:41 pm

the-waves wrote:2. I think we should hold publicly funded institutions to a higher standard when implementing infrastructure, saying that is is not dedicated cycling infrstructure shouldn't mean that its Ok to be substandard for real worold use by cyclists. The 'net' effect should always be at the front of our minds when evaluating it. Allowing you a safe crossing should not be at the discretion of motorists no matter how you slice it.
Well then you should take these concerns up with the relevant people; the Minister of Transport and/or the City of Fremantle and please do share you response from them. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say about their future plans.

I cannot see the City doing much more with Tydeman Road as they simply don't have the resources and frankly it shouldn't be the City's ratepayers responsibility but the State government may have something in mind. Will be interesting to hear for sure.

Andrew

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:46 pm

the-waves wrote:2. I think we should hold publicly funded institutions to a higher standard when implementing infrastructure, saying that is is not dedicated cycling infrstructure shouldn't mean that its Ok to be substandard for real worold use by cyclists. The 'net' effect should always be at the front of our minds when evaluating it. Allowing you a safe crossing should not be at the discretion of motorists no matter how you slice it.
The money available does not permit any 'safe' crossing (i.e. grade separation or ped/cycle actuated traffic signals) therefore if this was the requirement, nothing would have been built. It's a valuable short cut and for me beats riding on the road the whole way - therefore a net benefit compared to not having it there.

This is not part of the PSP and it shouldn't be critiqued against those standards. It's a local path built by a local government with a small amount of funding to spend.

Aside from cyclists, it's also a fairly big benefit to residents of North Fremantle who now have a shorter route to the station that allows them to avoid Stirling Highway.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:17 pm

BTW it is has its own Strava segment now as well ... Cheaters Lane Mk2. Not sure if that is a smart move or not ...

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 pm

Some progress to be reported. The signs on the path itself have now been sorted out and are correct, however, the issue of the no-entry signs at the North Fremantle Train Station remain. No sure if this is a Council or PTA issue and have asked the Council to advise.

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Latest update as at March 20, 2013. The wheels of government do move slowly:

The no entry signage request was sent to Main Roads WA, with consent from PTA. I will follow up with my contact there and report back if something has occurred that will unduly delay this job. Otherwise it usually takes between 2-4 weeks for these sorts of jobs to be done. As I already sent the request 2 weeks ago, I would expect the Bicycles Excepted tags to be in shortly.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 04, 2013 5:13 pm

Well the signs at the North Fremantle Train station where still meaning that northbound cyclists using this connector would be breaking the law. It is stagging that a Council could be so incompetent in its design of its infrastructure.

I have for the final time raised my concerns with the key Councillors and the CEO of the City of Fremantle. I sent of this email this afternoon.

Dear All

It is very frustrating to have to email you yet again over this project, the North Fremantle Shared Path which still remains in a state which encourages cyclists using the path in a North bound direction to break the law or to divert to Stirling Highway to legally enter the North Fremantle Train Station car park.

It simply staggers me that the Council has failed in the first instance to get the signs right (previous emails), has failed to think through the usage of the path and has failed to put in place the appropriate legal status of the path at the design stage and to ensure it is all complied with before commissioning the build.

This is now making the City of Fremantle look like a joke! It should not take a resident to point out the obvious to you ... designing infrastructure that reflects the law should be standard operating procedure surly?

As it stands I rode this path again on Tuesday May 1, 2013 and there was still no exception for cyclists entering the North Fremantle Train Station when northbound, so unless these cyclist divert via Stirling Highway they are breaking the law; breaking the law because the Council failed to put in place the proper signs that allowed compliance with the law. So unless the signs where sorted after Wednesday can we please have this sorted by Friday May 10, 2013 and can we please in future ensure that engineering projects are completed to professional standards and ensure that usage is in accordance with the law.

It shouldn't be too hard to ask is it?

Regards

Andrew
cc Australian Cycling Forums

jlh

Postby jlh » Sat May 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Considering the Mayor of Freo is a keen cyclist its a bit strange that this kind of thing isnt sorted...

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat May 04, 2013 8:14 pm

wellington_street wrote:You're also not forced to cross Tydeman Road where the path comes out, you can always go up to the lights at Queen Victoria Street.
Left turning northbound traffic isn't regulated by the lights and visibility for peds and cyclists crossing from the pavement to the lights is quite poor.
I've ridden the new PSP a couple of times and I'm afraid that I regard it as a pretty half baked effort. The second time we rode it on the tandem; the ridiculous maze at the station really is a joke on any bike, beyond the pale on a tandem!