Cyclist hit on Albert Street, East Melbourne

Cyclist hit on Albert Street, East Melbourne

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:05 pm

It happened around 6:15-6:20PM this afternoon (4th March) on the downhill section of Albert Street, East Melbourne (riding towards Hoddle Street) in the copenhagen bicycle lane.

From what I could gather as I walked through just as the ambulance and one of the police cars and a guy towing the downed cyclist's bike left the scene it looks like a car has come out of the Dallas Brooks Convention Centre car park and crossed over the dedicated copenhagen bicycle lane without looking while a cyclist has been going down the bicycle lane and the car has hit the cyclist.

The policeman I spoke to said the cyclist would be okay, although there was a decent sized splodge of blood on the pavement. He told me that the sun glare meant that the driver hadn't seen the cyclist and that the cars were banked up in the vehicle lane (presumably meaning the car thought it could inch out and slot into a hole when the cars started moving).

I wasn't there at the time so don't know anymore than that. I hope the cyclist is okay.
Summernight

by BNA » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:42 pm

BNA

Re: Cyclist hit on Albert Street, East Melbourne

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:42 pm

I work just behind that, I can tell you that the driver is full of crap as he has plenty of time to see who's coming along the bike lane
Hope the driver gets charged.
jamesn184

Postby birdbrain » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Doubt the driver will be charged and I wish the rider a speedy recovery.
birdbrain

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:53 pm

jamesn184 wrote:I work just behind that, I can tell you that the driver is full of crap as he has plenty of time to see who's coming along the bike lane
Hope the driver gets charged.

I thought the same thing. I had in the back of my mind to ask the police whether he would get charged but didn't end up asking as I wasn't quite sure whether the policeman was sympathetic to the driver and I was dragging along my flat-tyred bike at the time so didn't want to get some anti-cyclist rant if he was inclined to do one (not that he would have...).

I also agree with Birdbrain that I doubt the driver will be charged, although we'll never know unless someone who knows the downed cyclist reads this forum and decides to update us.
Summernight

Return to Victoria