Hazard - rice alert.

cp123

Hazard - rice alert.

Postby cp123 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:22 am

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2fhuv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock:

Ross

Re: Hazard - rice alert.

Postby Ross » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:44 pm

When I saw the title I was imagining fully sik Hyundais with 20" chrome wheels and doof doof stereos...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:05 pm

At the same time... you would have to be lacking in smarts to be riding so fast you can't see or stop. I'm always on the lookout for dirt/gravel/sand. Rice is novel. But I wouldn't have tried to ride through it at speed. I would have just about stopped.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:07 pm

I would have thought sand would be just as bad?
Interesting.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:11 pm

i would've stopped too. it would grab like wet sand would surely.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Dirty trick, as bad as ball bearings on a road would be.

Yes he should have backed off but that in no way makes this act right. Wonder if the spreader would be dumb enough to facebook this?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:06 am

Deleted - 'cos Twizzle (following post) is right and it only takes a bit of mischief to hijack a serious thread. :oops:
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:37 am

Methinks you are posting in the wrong thread. :|

A valid comment... But don't make it here.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:11 am

The usual appalling comments follow on from it too. Of course it was all the cyclist's fault :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 am

Comment from the news story... interesting.
Well my husband & I have each had a 1kg bag of rice thrown out a car window at us while cycling along in the bike lane near EPIC. Intentially. For some reason the 2 young male twits in the car thought it was funny as they almost caused another accident laughing so hard. On another day we had a full 2 L bottle of Coke thrown out a car window at us. Luckily they missed both times or we could have been seriously injured.
Both times we were in the cycle lane minding our own business not bothering anyone.
And yes, we have 2 cars at home in the garage which we pay our fair share of rego on but most days they sit in the garage as they are only used a couple of days a week to do shopping, etc.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:17 pm

I was going the other way and found the rice, it is on a concrete part of the path just before the underpass under Drakeford Drive as Athillon drive becomes the tuggeranong lake path. Initially it looked like a newly concreted bit where several people had ridden through it prior to it setting properly. From the direction the unfortunate bloke that got hurt hit it it is downhill and virtually impossible to see. A real dog act. To the people that were suggesting that he should have slowed down - get a life by the time he would have seen it it would have been too late to wash off any speed. I ride through there every day, there is plenty of debris on the path leading to the tunnel as there are a lot of trees there. It is a very dangerous section of the ride without people with only a few brain cells to rub together causing deliberate endangerment of life and property. The path slopes towards the guard railing that he hit anyway, the bridge is usually full of dumb pigeons that fly up at you at the last moment. Definitely a big exhale once you get through that particular spot.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Whilst these crimes need to be communicated, they also lead to copy-cat episodes. Terrible situation!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Cruiserman wrote:I was going the other way and found the rice...
O.K., doesn't look like it was on the concrete from the photo. That would pose a challenge to see.

Sent from my iThingy...

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:10 pm

I dont think you could take a worse photo if you were trying. I had forgotten about it by the time I went home, thankfully it was no longer there as I was moving pretty well when I went through there again. A fair bit slower this afternoon after a memory jog in the paper.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:22 am

twizzle wrote:Comment from the news story... interesting.
Well my husband & I have each had a 1kg bag of rice thrown out a car window at us while cycling along in the bike lane near EPIC. Intentially. For some reason the 2 young male twits in the car thought it was funny as they almost caused another accident laughing so hard. On another day we had a full 2 L bottle of Coke thrown out a car window at us. Luckily they missed both times or we could have been seriously injured.
Both times we were in the cycle lane minding our own business not bothering anyone.
And yes, we have 2 cars at home in the garage which we pay our fair share of rego on but most days they sit in the garage as they are only used a couple of days a week to do shopping, etc.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2MnJva58x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skull

Postby skull » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:27 am

Of course the cyclist was at fault. He didn't pay rego. So that is automatic fault.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:35 am

Ugh why do I read online newspaper comments. There's a saying going around at work that 80% of the population are idiots, seems to hold up to scrutiny if you take the online community as an example...

Love the comments about cyclists getting off the road when the sun is low on the horizon or it's foggy because motorists are more likely to not see and hit them, do the people commenting not realise that they're admitting they are incapable of driving to the conditions and are reckless dangers to other road users?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:15 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:... do the people commenting not realise that they're admitting they are incapable of driving to the conditions and are reckless dangers to other road users?
That would require them to think. Given they can't do that, it's probably not bad advice. I certainly avoid riding into the rising/setting sun. The same people who overtake on blind corners/crests are probably coming up behind me!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 pm

twizzle wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:... do the people commenting not realise that they're admitting they are incapable of driving to the conditions and are reckless dangers to other road users?
That would require them to think. Given they can't do that, it's probably not bad advice. I certainly avoid riding into the rising/setting sun. The same people who overtake on blind corners/crests are probably coming up behind me!
Point proven re sunglare and really bad driving in this pic:

Taken by one of my friends who saw it happen. As she said in her caption on the photo:
Summer's friend wrote:Whoopsie. The guy didn't see the truck parked because of the sun. Hit full force no braking.
And
Summer's friend wrote:... It pushed the truck forward which pushed over a tree. He did a good job of it
:roll:

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Go easy on the driver - it is a large white truck and probably came out of nowhere.

The rice is a very low act, too much to ask for a (real) leader somewhere in the community to say something on the issue? V8 driver/Footie player anyone who commands a bit of pull with these inbreds.

Unfortunately too many half wits will think this is funny ad either copy it or worse. I would be so furious if I was in hospital getting operated on because of someones 'joke' - It is starting to look like so called 'poofter bashing' is now cycling bashing. Completely abhorrent but yet at the time it was kept quiet, not fully understood and frankly not many people cared.

This stupidity leads to full hospital beds - there have been plenty of cases where legitimate patients are turned away from hospitals that are full of patients who drnk, smoked, did not exercise, assault victims, car accidents (list goes on) who are al victims of circumstances that never needed to occur.

If we declared war on ignorance, stupidity and education instead of drugs, cyclists and terrorism we would elevate our standard of living immeasurably.

JM

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Sydguy wrote:Go easy on the driver - it is a large white truck and probably came out of nowhere.
I'm assuming this was sarcasm.

If not (and please ignore if it was a sarcastic comment):
The truck was parked... Stationary. On the side of a street. There are no excuses for not slowing down if you cannot see where you are driving. And no point going easy on stupidity as it could kill someone else, including a cyclist or a pedestrian.

(Bit off-topic. Sorry)

The rice is a novel concept. A very terrible novel concept. I hope it isn't repeated.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:55 pm

It was sarcasm - I could not help it. Reminds me of the two garbage trucks that recently collided in Lidcombe NSW, both are brightly coloured, flashing orange lights, large signs that say 'frequently' stopping but despite all the safety gear if you are not looking where you are driving you may hit something.

As pointed out earlier sun glare, bad visibility, wet roads or flying kittens are no excuse for hitting anything. Insurance companies should mandate driver retraining when they make payouts on claims. You hit a parked truck you really need to get more driver training & education.

JM

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:26 pm

:lol:

The wonders of internet and the lack of tone in posts. Faith in humanity restored... :mrgreen:

Well, not really restored if one goes by the comments on that rice article though. I don't know why I bother reading the comments on news articles. They usually depress me with the sheer amount of trolls (I hope they're trolls) or people who really actually hold these opinions.

Now, where did I put my tinfoil hat?

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 pm

The comment cavalry arrived after Ross's post. Good to let these bogans - like the guy threatening "action" against cyclists who annoy him - know that they are freak outliers.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Howzat wrote:The comment cavalry arrived after Ross's post. Good to let these bogans - like the guy threatening "action" against cyclists who annoy him - know that they are freak outliers.
Never underestimate the stupidity of the average citizen.