Cyclists victims of road rage - Roundabout - Beelair

Aushiker

Cyclists victims of road rage - Roundabout - Beelair

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:58 am

TWO Coogee cyclists say there needs to be a better relationship between motorists and cyclists sharing WA streets after an aggressive driver targeted them.

Luke and Amy Banham were negotiating a Beeliar Drive roundabout on the afternoon of January 14 when they were swamped by a construction truck.

“Proceeding through the roundabout, sticking as far left as possible so as not to hold up traffic behind, the same truck came up behind us, swerved and beeped at Luke in front – his massive steel bull bar just nearly nudging the right shoulder of him as he passed,” Ms Banham said.

“Then a short distance up ahead, he stopped suddenly in the left lane knowing that we were behind him with cars approaching, an act that could have crushed us between the two vehicles.”

The pair jumped onto the verge to get out of the path of other cars before the driver got out of his vehicle and proceeded to abuse and gesture at Luke that he wanted to fight.

It was only after Luke jumped the centre median that he was safe....

Bicycle Network Australia founder Christopher Jones said while incidents like this generated a lot of interest in the cycling community, they were isolated.

“Most road users, I believe, are aware of the rights of cyclists though a small minority don’t respect this right,” Mr Jones said.

“The overwhelming majority of motorists as well as cyclists and other road users are considerate and respect one another on the road.

“That said there is plenty of room for improvement in the road to Australian society accepting cycling as part of our culture.”

Full article in the Fremantle Gazette

Not sure that I agree with Christopher's comments and frankly don't believe that Christopher is a position to speak on behalf of cyclists in WA. Pity that Bryce Luft didn't take the trouble to speak to those engaged in safety advocacy here in WA who have a much greater handle on the situation. For starters there have been concerns raised about roundabouts and roundabouts in this area ... none of this raised in the article.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wexford

Re: Cyclists victims of road rage - Roundabout - Beelair

Postby wexford » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Definitely more education needed.

Education for cyclists, who need to claim the lane when entering a roundabout so as to avoid this - your safety is more important than someone else's lost 3-5 seconds spent negotiating the roundabout at a lower speed.

Education for motorists, and well we've gone over this enough times already.

On a ride near Mindarie recently I was going through one of those monster roundabouts on Marmion Avenue. A bike "lane" was available, which I took, but that didn't stop some idiot with a wide trailer from cutting me off* and hitting me with said trailer. Thankfully after a bit of lurching and bouncing about I recovered and managed not to come off. Ever since then, I've taken the lane. You just can't trust motorists, even when they're not raging.

* cutting the corner at the exit, where I was

Karati

Postby Karati » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:29 pm

I will always take the lane at roundabouts and busy intersections who cares if some fatty is yelling and raging at you and as long as you get round safely!

GregW

Postby GregW » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:04 pm

They had two run ins with the truck.......one where the truck actually stopped.......and they didn't get a registration number!!!!
A registration number would have seen a visit to the local cop shop not the local rag.
Articles like this just have a ring of cow dust to them......or in the least stretching the truth of the situation.
In fact parts of the article come direct from the manual of the growing trend of incorrect cycle advocacy.
Aushiker wrote:............Not sure that I agree with Christopher's comments and frankly don't believe that Christopher is a position to speak on behalf of cyclists in WA. Pity that Bryce Luft didn't take the trouble to speak to those engaged in safety advocacy here in WA who have a much greater handle on the situation. For starters there have been concerns raised about roundabouts and roundabouts in this area ... none of this raised in the article.
Andrew
Why?................
incidents like this generated a lot of interest in the cycling community, they were isolated.
“Most road users, I believe, are aware of the rights of cyclists though a small minority don’t respect this right,” Mr Jones said.
“The overwhelming majority of motorists as well as cyclists and other road users are considerate and respect one another on the road.
“That said there is plenty of room for improvement in the road to Australian society accepting cycling as part of our culture.”
Level headed statement that reflects the true situation.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:07 pm

I think what Andrew means is it would be better had someone from WA been contacted by the journalist to be able to give more specific comments about reported blackspots in the area.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:37 pm

I ask the journalist to let me know when this was up, and didn't hear back so missed it and apologise for being a late entry.

Yes, I saw the comments from Andrew and believe I understand what he means in his comments however have a differerent opinion.
Aushiker wrote:This is very disappointing to read of this and to read of Mr Jones comments. Mr Jones does not ride in WA, does not experience what we experience and frankly needs to read his own forums posts on the subject. Isolated my foot.
Correct, I don't ride in WA so was speaking broadly and accept if the situations are different in WA.

From my experience, I can pass thousands of other vehicles, and they can pass me all without incident. I can go out riding each day for a week without incident. I believe many cyclists are in the same boat, incident do occur though are not regular. Incidents with the severity of the reported incident by the "inmycommunity" article "Cyclists Victims of Road Rage" are not, I believe, situations that a cyclist faces on daily basis.

As quoted in the article, I see room for improvement - we are not a very cycling tolerant culture. Cyclists are the underdogs in many ways I don't see it as a "them against us" scenario.
Cycling is in my BNA

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:59 pm

It seems all could be proven right beyond doubt, but from years prior to the present traffic density as a youth commuter taking roads oblivious to the risks, I copped loads of abuse from rednecks and general degenerates who run you off road for ignorance or principle that we cyclists didn't belong on the road... even if only ever keeping left on my lonesome. I came back to bike commuting now with a young family dependent on me in order to stick to paths and get off the motorcycles and scooters road risks I'd survived for the past decade. I would not cycle on our roads now with any sense of safety.

No news that the media have laziness like every other industry, they're not making a good article, just a quick news report padded out with some fillers. That is fine so long as we treat it for what it is. A better article would chase up BTAWA or BWA, use some police stats and research from local agencies, safety forums, even the celebrities making the board of Cycling WA... not shortcut to simply the first quick online contact you may hit from a google search, but that's fine for a quick and dirty bit of news. BNA would be best for its consumer and industry topics, which dominate the home page and is the flagship survey (i.e. not for instance a survey on road safety issues including road rage across states). Seeking an opinion from a popular identity isn't too terrible, just not the best fit in this case.

PS: If subscribed to the WA sub-forum you'd notice regular reports of incidents involving all sorts, half mostly shared by a few main contributors, so only a small sample of the experience of the 10,000+ daily bicycle users, but enough to complement our own experiences that it's not always peaches and cream.
Last edited by eldavo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:14 am

I have ridden with Amy and Luke. Both experienced riders (Luke is a gun) and both are very good people.
If they said it happened like that it would have happened like that.
Crikey I thought Luke might have just had a crack :-) if pushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:28 pm

I don't ride Beeliar drive any more for that reason (and all the glass).

Been buzzed by cars/motorbikes at full noise too many times to want to ride it anymore.

So many bogans down there with their stupid Jetpilot/unit stickers on the commodores pulling dick moves. It's disgusting. Worse than the outer western suburbs of Sydney where I used to live.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:13 pm

HLC - I agree - well kinda.

When I used to do the shop rides with BikeForce we used to head west along Beeliar Dve, but it was early in the morning, and barely any traffic.
I still do take that route in to Freo sometimes, but come home, heading east, any time after about 8.30 am is pretty daunting.
That round a bout up there is pretty hairy too..
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Early mornings is fine with me, anytime after 8 and I'm on the path next to the side of the road until after that roundabout where spearwood ave comes out of. I only will ride Beeliar Drv on a weekend/public holiday anyhow. Lately tho I've been going down Spearwood Ave which does now have a bike lane all the way down to Cockburn Rd.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810