So I went on a group ride

Bnej

So I went on a group ride

Postby Bnej » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:18 pm

Figured I was in trouble when I showed up and everyone else had racers and I have 15kg city bike...

But it was okay. I dropped off the back a couple (lot) of times but caught up at the stops, and I averaged 21km/h for 31 (hilly) kms! Feel like I've done some proper riding. :)

I try again next week and see how long I can hold out from buying a shiny road bike. ;)

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:42 pm

I used to show up on a half loaded touring bike. Some bike groups say "All types Welcome". If you can keep up on a heavy bike, there is no need to buy a shiny road bike.

I have found that the more you ride with the group, you will find it easier to keep up.

tuco

Re: So I went on a group ride

Postby tuco » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:42 pm

Bnej wrote:Figured I was in trouble when I showed up and everyone else had racers and I have 15kg city bike...

But it was okay. I dropped off the back a couple (lot) of times but caught up at the stops, and I averaged 21km/h for 31 (hilly) kms! Feel like I've done some proper riding. :)

I try again next week and see how long I can hold out from buying a shiny road bike. ;)
If they're making you work harder then that can't be a bad thing in the long run.
Keep it up, you'll be keeping up with them before you know it.

Shiny road bikes do go faster :D

Grow To Overthrow

Postby Grow To Overthrow » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:08 pm

If you held your own on a heavy bike, imagine the improvement to be had if you were to purchase a shiny road bike!

Best of luck with your next group ride.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:21 pm

Bnej wrote: ..... and see how long I can hold out from buying a shiny road bike. ;) .....
I'd say, "About this > < much!"

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:19 pm

Well done ! You struggled a bit but never gave up. Next week will be tough too, but not quite so tuff and in a few weeks time you will have no trouble hanging on.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:52 pm

We've been considering a group ride but just aren't too sure. Our usual ride is about 30km and we do this averaging maybe 23-25kmh as it is mainly cycleway (read: pedestrians!). I usually lead all the way and hubby follows, then overtakes on the hills only to drop back on the straights. (Yes, I know what drafting is and yes, he is and no, I don't mind working for both of us...much :wink: )

Anyway, all the group rides I see advertised (LBS) say they average 28kmh upwards.

How much speed advantage is there in riding with a group? We don't really want to make everyone wait for us if we can't keep up.

Sorry if this is a hijack!! :oops:

Moo...

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:05 pm

Dunno about WA, but there are a lot of group rides here in Adelaide that cater for everyone from the slug to the rocketship. Check out your state organisation. BikeSA here in the land of the sane :D

Richard

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:18 pm

Bnej wrote: I try again next week and see how long I can hold out from buying a shiny road bike. ;)
I hear that ! after getting to a stage of reasonable fitness i was planning to loose another 25kg (phase 3) before rewarding the effort with a shiny new road bike.

but i walked into bums on bikes to do some window shopping and check to see if they had a jersey sized FA (fat arse) when i heard a whisper from one of the display stands "hey big boy , take me home with you" and i looked across and saw a shogun team issue with a sales tag showing a $900 discount on the rrp , i walked over to check her out and she was dressed to impress with a complete set of ultegra jewelery, R550 wheels and ritchey stem/hbar , i thought i could get away with a one night stand but alas after a test ride i found i could not sleep that night.

needless to say she is now at home and i haven't had the heart to park her in the shed yet as i'm still feasting my eyes on her curves at least every 15 minutes /smitten

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:21 pm

Ya silly barsteward. This is the way to madness ... btw, the Black Beast lives against the dining room table :roll:

Richard

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:25 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Well done ! You struggled a bit but never gave up. Next week will be tough too, but not quite so tuff and in a few weeks time you will have no trouble hanging on.
Well, I knew I could do the distance, and I'd ridden all of the serious hills before (5 x 12-18% grade of notable length), and I really don't have an ego thing with trailing by minutes after everyone else arrives, so really it's just motivation to push a bit harder than I normally would.

Legs are aching like they haven't since I first got back on the bike... :)

The guy from the LBS who organises the ride suggested I might want to go with the later ride which is shorter at a slower pace near the start, so they do cater to all sorts, but I want to go faster and further!

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:48 pm

europa wrote:Dunno about WA, but there are a lot of group rides here in Adelaide that cater for everyone from the slug to the rocketship. Check out your state organisation. BikeSA here in the land of the sane :D

Richard
BicycleWA is official, but we are not the state's cycling organisation :D We get a lot of people contacting us, but we refer them to the BTA.

I do however do group rides at your own risk :D , but I don't usually get many takers as it's at touring pace of 18 - 20 km/h and I'm usually towing the BOB trailer with something in it, like a toilet, satellite dish or a pot belly stove.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:18 pm

bicyclewa wrote:I do however do group rides at your own risk :D , but I don't usually get many takers as it's at touring pace of 18 - 20 km/h and I'm usually towing the BOB trailer with something in it, like a toilet, satellite dish or a pot belly stove.
I would so be in that. The ride, not the toilet.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:48 pm

Bnej wrote:
bicyclewa wrote:I do however do group rides at your own risk :D , but I don't usually get many takers as it's at touring pace of 18 - 20 km/h and I'm usually towing the BOB trailer with something in it, like a toilet, satellite dish or a pot belly stove.
I would so be in that. The ride, not the toilet.
If you are in Perth WA you are welcome. I invited Richard, but he chickened out. He gave some excuse about the Nullarbor being in the way.

I can start a thread in the WA area and keep the Super Mod off of our back about thread hijacking :D

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:56 pm

Sadly I'm in NSW.

So yeah, just in principal. :)

tuco

Postby tuco » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:12 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Anyway, all the group rides I see advertised (LBS) say they average 28kmh upwards.

How much speed advantage is there in riding with a group? We don't really want to make everyone wait for us if we can't keep up.

Sorry if this is a hijack!! :oops:

Moo...
A group can easily add between 5 and 10 km/h to your speed.

By myself I cruise around at 28 and in a group 35 is the average.

Give it a try, you'll be surprised.
Just watch the hand signals and if you're in the middle then just copy the hand signal of the rider in front. Pointing is pointing out a hazard, left and right are obvious, stop hand held low and fingers spaded, hand/arm backwards and forwards along the length of the bike is single file.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:38 pm

Thanks Tuco. You're a gem!! :D

Moo...

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:03 pm

Well I did a 16km this afternoon, legs still bit tired, certainly couldn't poke the far side of 20 with my average speed today.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:16 pm

europa wrote:Ya silly barsteward. This is the way to madness ... btw, the Black Beast lives against the dining room table :roll:

Richard

Mad? i've always been mad ,, got to keep the loonies on the path...

:D

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:35 pm

Totally off subject but I couldn't resist after reading you post, imanewbie...saw Rogers Waters concert last week...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Moo...

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 am

moosterbounce wrote:Totally off subject but I couldn't resist after reading you post, imanewbie...saw Rogers Waters concert last week...

Moo...
Im soo jealous !! :)

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:30 am

Imanewbie wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:Totally off subject but I couldn't resist after reading you post, imanewbie...saw Rogers Waters concert last week...

Moo...
Im soo jealous !! :)
Still off topic, I'm off to the Beyond the Darkside concert this Saturday night.
My wife only likes 'Wish you were here' and hates the rest of their work so doesn't want to go so I'm shouting a friend who's recovering from a stroke (he's only 30 too)
I went last time they were in town. It's not the real thing but very, very close.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:03 pm

[/quote]
Still off topic, I'm off to the Beyond the Darkside concert this Saturday night.
My wife only likes 'Wish you were here' and hates the rest of their work so doesn't want to go so I'm shouting a friend who's recovering from a stroke (he's only 30 too)
I went last time they were in town. It's not the real thing but very, very close.[/quote]

I agree with your Mrs bro wish u were here is their finest work followed by darkside then the wall , ummagumma and animals i really have to be in the mood for.
Wish u were here makes for fine riding training music though. gotta love those ipod shuffles just clip to the neck of the shirt and away i go.

what inspirational music do u folks like to ride to?

sorry for hijacking the thread Bnej

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:18 pm

Imanewbie wrote:
what inspirational music do u folks like to ride to?

sorry for hijacking the thread Bnej
The sounds of traffic. I don't listen to anything, I like to hear what's going on around me.

Back on topic, can't wait for my next group ride. I'm having a couple of rest days after a 20km time trial on Sunday. Second half of the race I was sitting back a little on the seat and the tops of my hamstrings are a little sore.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:30 pm

tuco wrote:
The sounds of traffic. I don't listen to anything, I like to hear what's going on around me.

Back on topic, can't wait for my next group ride. I'm having a couple of rest days after a 20km time trial on Sunday. Second half of the race I was sitting back a little on the seat and the tops of my hamstrings are a little sore.
Yea i hear ya , i don't use the ipod while on the road but i'm lucky enough to live in an area where there is a dedicated bike path for nearly 21 k's along the beach front, through wetlands and past a golfcourse finishing up at toombul , there and back makes for a nice cadence training session.

the lbs organizes social group rides on the weekends and the slow group which i am a part of averages 25kph. Most of us are 40+ and enjoy each others company while we ride. Imo riding doesn't always have to be hard yakka 8)