Do you carry ID

Becker_11

Re: Do you carry ID

Postby Becker_11 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:16 pm

2 cases come to mind Janine Shepherd author of Never Tell Me Never she was hit by a car while out training. A group of guys wanted to rush her to hospital but a witness to the crash stopped them from moving her. As a result she went on to great things in aviation which she never would have from a wheelchair.

2nd is little Sophie Delezio (sp)
She was trapped under a car and suffered horrific injuries.

It comes down to this. If you witness a crash and your not medically trained you do the best you can at the time. Hoping you don't make things worse in doing so

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Becker_11 wrote:It comes down to this. If you witness a crash and your not medically trained you do the best you can at the time. Hoping you don't make things worse in doing so
Correct! That's the Russian Roulette I talked about earlier. Prevention of accident is the best bet!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:30 pm

sogood wrote:
twizzle wrote:And I know a quadriplegic who ended up that way after being pulled from under a car. If they hadn't been pulled out... who knows.
Twizzle, a sad sensationalistic n=1 example. You really like to use these don't you?

No one hear of those who have been removed from points of danger and lived.
No, simply pointing out there can be consequences when people react without thinking.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:49 pm

twizzle wrote:No, simply pointing out there can be consequences when people react without thinking.
No one suggested there's no consequence. But that's often the dice one rolls and the balance of evils at the time.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:38 pm

sogood wrote:
twizzle wrote:No, simply pointing out there can be consequences when people react without thinking.
No one suggested there's no consequence. But that's often the dice one rolls and the balance of evils at the time.
Correct.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:54 pm

sogood wrote:No one hear of those who have been removed from points of danger and lived.
You still have not established that this so called point of danger. The road won't open up and swallow the cyclists. The risk of other traffic on the road in such a circumstance is normally non existent. It is normally trivial to ensure that oncoming traffic is aware of the situation and wont present a danger.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Surely we can all make our own choices. Personally I would be happy to be micro-chipped with my full medical history. Odds are if I fall off my bike and I am not air-lifted quickly to a major hospital then I could die. The police/ambos need to know this ASAP. For now the RoadID does the job. Hopefully I never need it but buying it and wearing it is a very small price to pay.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:03 pm

human909 wrote:You still have not established that this so called point of danger. The road won't open up and swallow the cyclists. The risk of other traffic on the road in such a circumstance is normally non existent. It is normally trivial to ensure that oncoming traffic is aware of the situation and wont present a danger.
Yes, so many in the community need to be spoon fed on what are danger and what are not. That why it'll always be a dice throw.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm

A better tactic would be to place some bystanders up the road to warn oncoming traffic and place some stationary vehicles between the patient and danger.
Rushing a potential spinal pt off the road Lebanon style, limbs flailing is probably not the best approach. Better to mitigate the danger without moving the patient, in the absence of the correct equipment.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:48 pm

warthog1 wrote:A better tactic would be to place some bystanders up the road to warn oncoming traffic and place some stationary vehicles between the patient and danger.
That clearly can't always be counted on given the lighting, weather, road condition, number of helpers etc etc. It's one of those assessment one has to make on the scene.
Rushing a potential spinal pt off the road Lebanon style, limbs flailing is probably not the best approach. Better to mitigate the danger without moving the patient, in the absence of the correct equipment.
"Rushing" is sensationalistic. If the helper lacked clinical first aid skills, do you think they are guaranteed to have the skills to look after the big picture? For those with knowledge, there are ways to move a patient safely. If the spinal injury is already so bad that it can't be moved with care, then even ambos with their neck brace and spinal board will unlikely to completely avoid further injuries. As said, rule 1 is to avoid putting helpers in danger.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:04 pm

sogood wrote: If the spinal injury is already so bad that it can't be moved with care, then even ambos with their neck brace and spinal board will unlikely to completely avoid further injuries.
That is perhaps so, but they have a much better chance of moving someone with a spinal injury appropriately given the training and equipment than those without.
The first choice is not to move a patient with a spinal injury until those with the training and equipment arrive. Life over limb yes, but it is best avoided until other options are exhausted.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Back on topic ... I always carry my Cycling Australia licence which not only has my name on it, but an emergency contact. Lots of people haven't realised that but in my club we ask people to always ride with that licence. I carry mine in a little plastic wallet that also carries enough $$ to get lunch, coffee or whatever and if I'm going on a long ride, a credit card. I always take the licence with me when cycling because sometimes if I'm racing I have to show it. So it's a standard part of my kit.

Recently one of our club members crashed and didn't have his licence or anything with emergency contact details. Fortunately the club secretary was with us and able to get into the CA membership data base from her smart phone at the accident scene and get contact details . Don't you love technology? :-)

At that accident, he couldn't be moved, was on a blind corner and fortunately there were enough people around to manage traffic rather than try and move him. Not that there was anywhere to move him to as it happens. I think you have to take every situation as you find it and use your best judgement to manage risk.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Why is a thread about carrying ID 5 pages long?

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Eleri wrote:Recently one of our club members crashed and didn't have his licence or anything with emergency contact details... At that accident, he couldn't be moved, was on a blind corner and fortunately there were enough people around to manage traffic rather than try and move him. Not that there was anywhere to move him to as it happens. I think you have to take every situation as you find it and use your best judgement to manage risk.
Assuming we are talking about the same case, that's a different scenario as it's on a community ride with large number of cyclists around. Situation would be very different if it was a solo rider on a busy road. But as already stated, one needs to judge wisely on a per case basis.

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:07 am

Nobody wrote:Why is a thread about carrying ID 5 pages long?
because carrying id is ok, but planning to carry id is just plain offencive to some people.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:14 am

PB12IN wrote:
because carrying id is ok, but planning to carry id is just plain offensive to some people.
Oh, OK. Thanks. I'll go read some other thread then... :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 am

PB12IN wrote:
because carrying id is ok, but planning to carry id is just plain offencive to some people.
This is in danger of becoming a defacto MHL thread.

I carry ID because of several reasons. 1 is it might help in the case of an accident. 2 is that it isn't that hard. Really.

Grenade thrown, time to move on.

In regards to spinal injuries and potential collateral damage, I hope I am never in that situation (giver or receiver), but each person has to judge the situation at the time, and all the armcahir experts who pass judgement after the fact, from an armchair and say "Yeah, but ..." can go get stuffed.

Lest we end up like the recent US example where the nursing home would not administer CPR, as it was not their policy to do so, but to wait for expert trained personnel. That person died. I'd rather be paralysed than dead.

:roll:

Until then, risde safe and carry ID.

QED

roller

Postby roller » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:37 am

5 pages of "this one time at bandcamp. . . "
inflammatory statement or idea

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 am

MichaelB wrote:
Lest we end up like the recent US example where the nursing home would not administer CPR, as it was not their policy to do so, but to wait for expert trained personnel. That person died. I'd rather be paralysed than dead.

:roll:

Until then, risde safe and carry ID.

QED
We're not talking CPR, withholding that will leave you dead or with a brain injury.

I was advocating not moving a potential spinal pt unnecessairily. Investigate other options first.
I don't think anyone was advocating withholding first aid, just avoiding pt movement in certain circumstances if possible.

I am not sure i would rather be alive and a quadriplegic. I would rather avoid the injury first.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:08 pm

Because we are all still trying to ID each other. :D
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:19 pm

I normally take my drivers license, a small note ($10) or so and my Smart rider. Back pocket in the Jersey.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:24 pm

PB12IN wrote: because carrying id is ok, but planning to carry id is just plain offencive to some people.
Great summary!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:50 pm

roller wrote:
5 pages of "this one time at bandcamp. . . "
:shock: Aaaargh! Begone horrible visions! :lol:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Because the forum is having a quiet moment. :?
This has been done before but it has never reached 5 pages. :shock:
(If you don't carry an ID, there is something seriously wrong with you)
:evil:
I can’t believe it . Some of my most popular threads have reached only 3 pages. :roll:
Well pines joke corner is doing well
8)
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Apple, this IS a joke thread!