The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

outnabike

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby outnabike » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:42 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
jules21 wrote:
i know some people will say i should yield here, and as a rule i do - what i post here are the exceptions - but this lady p'd me off with her attitude. she is an idiot to think walking on the wrong side of the path and sticking her elbow out to block cyclists is some kind of community service.

for those not familiar, this is the Main Yarra Trail in melbourne - highway 1 for cyclists. she knows what she's doing.
Knock her out of the way next time with your elbow :twisted:
I don't want to be negative, But I can,t see the point of the post , if it is to make this girl out as being aggressive in any way.

I may be wrong but I am just trying to interpret the pics. Not excusing their over use of the path though.

Yes she is dreamily walking along with the mind in neutral. But the arm is not aggressively jutting out. In fact her elbow seems to be to her rear. Maybe the hip belt was digging in to her, who knows. And her first movements do not indicate any thing other than moving over to her left.
Yes it did take her a while to see the situation but the remarks of "knocking her out of the way", even in jest, are not worthy of us as cyclists. This is a young girl with her mum and I am surprised at the first thoughts are of aggression to the situation.
If you look at the direction of her eyes it will show her thoughts a purely for escape.
No one in there right mind would stick out an elbow and offer it to be hit by a cyclist, and if other cyclists would suggest hitting her on purpose, or threaten too, imagine the reaction of her mum.
Sorry if Now I am over reacting, all I see is two pedestrians doing pedestriany things. If you like that new word you can keep it... :D

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 am

outnabike wrote:Sorry if Now I am over reacting, all I see is two pedestrians doing pedestriany things. If you like that new word you can keep it... :D
jules is visible for 3 seconds to the pedestrians before she starts to move. ped is looking right at Jules.

maybe the right response is AirZound as you come around that bend :mrgreen:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:02 pm

I also don't think they are mother and daughter.

The lady with the elbow looks too developed for that (keep your minds out of the gutter, I didn't mean in that way! You can tell by the way she walks) and if they are part of the wealthy set or stay at home ladies of leisure (given that the time stamp says 10:18AM I assume most professional people are already at work and children under 18 are at school) they could easily be ladies in their 30s or 40s who like to keep very fit.

That area is a wealthy area of Melbourne.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 pm

find_bruce wrote:Yesterday's nomination for stupid cyclist of the month...
Yeah, he's right up there for SCOTY. A rolling recipe for disaster. :roll:
Can only hope there's no innocents hurt WHEN (not if) his world goes pear shaped.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:25 pm

jasonc wrote:
outnabike wrote:Sorry if Now I am over reacting, all I see is two pedestrians doing pedestriany things. If you like that new word you can keep it... :D
jules is visible for 3 seconds to the pedestrians before she starts to move. ped is looking right at Jules.
That's how I saw it. I note she pulled her arm back very smartly when she realised it did not have the desired result.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:28 pm

maybe some exposed metal at the end of the bars will get the word spread around

redned

Postby redned » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:44 pm

jules21 wrote:i know some people will say i should yield here, and as a rule i do - what i post here are the exceptions - but this lady p'd me off with her attitude. she is an idiot to think walking on the wrong side of the path and sticking her elbow out to block cyclists is some kind of community service.

for those not familiar, this is the Main Yarra Trail in melbourne - highway 1 for cyclists. she knows what she's doing.
It looks to me like she has inadvertently strayed onto the right hand side of the path (noting there are no markings) and has moved to correct it when she has seen you. I sense no "attitude", idiocy or act of agression with the elbow.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:47 pm

redned wrote:It looks to me like she has inadvertently strayed onto the right hand side of the path (noting there are no markings) and has moved to correct it when she has seen you. I sense no "attitude", idiocy or act of agression with the elbow.
+1

Lazy ped, but not malicious ped.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:52 pm

il padrone wrote:
redned wrote:It looks to me like she has inadvertently strayed onto the right hand side of the path (noting there are no markings) and has moved to correct it when she has seen you. I sense no "attitude", idiocy or act of agression with the elbow.
+1

+2 ... except I think she may have been suffering from a 'stitch'.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Good one last night :roll: - Commonwealth Ave, Canberra southbound approximately 6.30 pm. Immediately south of Julia Gillard's house. This is a 3 lane lane road for cars and busses with a 4th lane/bike lane that's definitely wide enough for a car.

I was riding along and saw a staffy dog running loose on the bike lane. A cyclist slower than me was ahead and this dog (brindle entire male staffy) shot onto the road directly towards her. I saw her stop pedalling and swerve suddenly to miss it. The dog then runs directly past her and was bouncing round happily but was approximately 18 inches away from the line separating bike lane and car lane (ie 18 inches from being splattered at 80 kmph).

I couldn't believe it - and didn't know if it was a lost dog or similar. There was a man with a beard and glasses walking on the path there and the dog eventually went back to him. I didn't know if he called it or it just wandered back but the other girl continued on. Now I'm thinking if I wanted my dog to live i'd stick it on a bloody string on an 80 kmph road, but each to their own. Now I'm approaching them and again this loose dog shoots out - directly at me this time. Of course i'm half thinking it might and and sitting on the brakes just in case. I couldn't believe it. I turned back to the guy walking and asked him if this was his dog? He replied yes. I said, well if you don't want it killed you might want to put it on the leash. As i turned forward again the dog is now in the 18 inch gap between me and the cars at 80 kmph on my right. Running loose and doing as it pleases.

He did say something back but i didn't hear what it was over the traffic. I did actually want to say "listen mate, maybe you don't care, but it'll be your dog that pays the price if it gets it wrong or a driver can't stop in time" :evil: but i expected he was obviously a free spirit who did things his own way. The dog had dashed out to both the girl in front of me, and me and I dared not look back to see if there were other riders coming behind me. This is the main drag and there are hundreds of cyclists using it each night i reckon.

Stupid idiot owner. I was just hoping to hell i didn't hear "SCREEEEEECH, thunk. yelp yelp"... and thank god i didn't.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Kenzo wrote:
il padrone wrote:
+1

+2 ... except I think she may have been suffering from a 'stitch'.
Also, looking at the shadows in the footage - was sun glare a possible factor here? Sorry, I'm just a "benefit of the doubt" type person. 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 pm

cp123 wrote: Now I'm approaching them and again this loose dog shoots out - directly at me this time. Of course i'm half thinking it might and and sitting on the brakes just in case. I couldn't believe it. I turned back to the guy walking and asked him if this was his dog? He replied yes. I said, well if you don't want it killed you might want to put it on the leash. As i turned forward again the dog is now in the 18 inch gap between me and the cars at 80 kmph on my right. Running loose and doing as it pleases.

He did say something back but i didn't hear what it was over the traffic.
Crikey! I think that makes it "thread finished". We have the "Stupid Pedestrian of the Year" prize-winner for 2013 already :P :roll: :roll:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
jasonc wrote:
That's how I saw it. I note she pulled her arm back very smartly when she realised it did not have the desired result.
that's also how i saw it. none of us can say for 100% certain, but the most likely explanation is that it was deliberate. it's a busy shared path and i come across these people semi-regularly. they seem to think cyclists are pests and deliberately block both sides of the path. the arm raise could have been coincidental - but i think that's unlikely.

i do make a conscious attempt to be considerate of pedestrians and regularly come to a halt when it's not safe to pass (while some other cyclists will just barge through), but my patience is shorter with these people.
outnabike wrote: If you look at the direction of her eyes it will show her thoughts a purely for escape.
she's wearing sunnies :?

she doesn't flinch as i approach, despite me being in plain view of her. there is nothing to suggest her looking for 'escape'.
outnabike wrote: No one in there right mind would stick out an elbow and offer it to be hit by a cyclist
i agree, just not in the way you think
outnabike wrote:and if other cyclists would suggest hitting her on purpose, or threaten too, imagine the reaction of her mum.
if i wasn't concentrating on navigating the artificially narrowed gap she had made for me, i'd have had words. but i wouldn't have abused her, physically or verbally. just pointed out her poor judgment and lack of common sense.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Friendly banter didn't register with this one.

redned

Postby redned » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:26 pm

jules21 wrote:That's how I saw it. I note she pulled her arm back very smartly when she realised it did not have the desired result.
Pulled her arm back smartly when she saw someone was coming.
jules21 wrote:that's also how i saw it. none of us can say for 100% certain, but the most likely explanation is that it was deliberate.
It is certainly not the most likely explanation.
jules21 wrote:it's a busy shared path and i come across these people semi-regularly. they seem to think cyclists are pests and deliberately block both sides of the path
No evidence. On the wrong side, sees cyclist, moves.
jules21 wrote: the arm raise could have been coincidental - but i think that's unlikely.
My viewing of the video is that it is most likely.
jules21 wrote:i do make a conscious attempt to be considerate of pedestrians and regularly come to a halt when it's not safe to pass (while some other cyclists will just barge through), but my patience is shorter with these people.
Which people? People on shared paths? I think your patience is just short fullstop.
jules21 wrote:she doesn't flinch as i approach, despite me being in plain view of her. there is nothing to suggest her looking for 'escape'.
Sees you, heads to left to avoid bike. Nothing clearer.
jules21 wrote:just pointed out her poor judgment and lack of common sense.
Correct. Lazy ped, but not malicious ped.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:28 pm

redned wrote:
jules21 wrote:it's a busy shared path and i come across these people semi-regularly. they seem to think cyclists are pests and deliberately block both sides of the path
No evidence. On the wrong side, sees cyclist, moves.
the only thing she moved was the arm that she raised after i appeared in her direct line of vision, and just as i was about to pass her.

my experience - and i have a lot of it - is that people who are taken by surprise do not act so cooly. she didn't flinch - she lowers her arm just as i pass, when she realises she's failed to intimidate me.

this is a busy path and she would have been passed by numerous cyclists within even the last couple of minutes. there are no exits/entries near there and she would have blocked numerous others, prior to my arrival. she was well aware of what she was doing.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:37 pm

To my eyes, shes just walking along, chatting with her friend, not paying attention.

She sees the bike approaching at speed and just manages to get out of the way in time.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:47 pm

for sale: prime real estate :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Starting bid?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:05 pm

I would give up Jules. You have more chance with that bit of swamp :) :wink:

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Starting bid?
Two elbows and an "expert" behind a computer screen with mind reading skills? :)

Andrew
Andrew

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 pm

it's all a bit of fun :)

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 pm

jules21 wrote:
i know some people will say i should yield here, and as a rule i do - what i post here are the exceptions - but this lady p'd me off with her attitude. she is an idiot to think walking on the wrong side of the path and sticking her elbow out to block cyclists is some kind of community service. Snipped.

I guess it's the adamant view posed here that started me thinking that maybe it was just an accident averted and not as intentional as it seemed on the part of the lady.

But then the agro comments, I reckon were not appropriate, and one obnoxious comment encouraged another. To top it off , now I am the person who can't see attempted humour?

We are talking Violence against women here and you want to score points over experts with mind reading skills?
Lukeyboy wrote: Friendly banter didn't register with this one.
..... Your first statement was not really very nice though.

Knock her out of the way next time with your elbow :evil: .......no smiley there... and we are talking about violence to a woman here.

That gave encouragement to .... yeah! or hit her in the head with my bidon, that'll learn her. :wink:
wait, you were joking weren't you?

Followed up with

by jasonc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:28 am
maybe some exposed metal at the end of the bars will get the word spread around............. see any smiley's there?

A new member to the forum would wonder at these statements. and then because others can't quite agree with you , follow it all up with a nice little ridicule session against other members.
Just seems like bad form.

I will leave this thread alone, I didn't intend to bag any one but just could not condone the implied ill feeling towards what is after all just two people going out for a walk. I just keep seeing my wife and daughter out there and realise the amount of hatred out there in store for them. And we complain when motorists do the wrong thing?
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:40 pm

the only person who acted aggressively is the lady in the video.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:43 pm

outnabike Jules actually said ...
i know some people will say i should yield here, and as a rule i do - what i post here are the exceptions - but this lady p'd me off with her attitude. she is an idiot to think walking on the wrong side of the path and sticking her elbow out to block cyclists is some kind of community service.

Maybe time for a ride and little more care with the quoting don't you think?

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew