Moron Motorists #3

trailgumby

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Not nearly as questionabke as the driving.Good Lord, that was close :shock:

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Here is a bus passing me within my lane (not the closest pass, but not the best way to do it), and resultant conversation with driver. Just went to give them a FYI rather than a rant. His attitude ended up being far worse than the pass!

Of course, the video camera did a save and continue just at the point of passing :roll: , so a few frames are missing at the critical moment (but you can see from the time stamp bottom left that only one second is lost).

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:57 pm

jules21 wrote:
warning: questionable choice of language may be heard in this video.
:shock:

You have nerves of steel. My golly gosh.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:05 pm

I'll see your almost head-on Jules21 and raise you a close-shave-Commodore bogan from my morning commute today.

Sadly my 1400 Lumen light (roughly the power of a small sun) was too bright and washed out the rego plates (from both cameras). It does stop a lot of side-street pull outs though.

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 pm

jules21 wrote:
warning: questionable choice of language may be heard in this video.
In the circumstances Jules, there was nothing questionable about the choice of language. There's some times in life when "Oh, my goodness gracious me" just don't do the job. :wink:

Summer, I hope you tapped that motard on the shoulder and asked him if all that dangerous shed he pulled was really worth it to end up in exactly the same place as you :twisted:

Ride safe siblings.
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Wowee Boognoss... That's terrible. Did you see him coming? What was the horn noise? An AirZound?

Did you catch the same guy at the lights and get the registration then?

And sorry Mulger Bill, I didn't confront him at the lights. I'm not that confident in those situations.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Summernight wrote:Wowee Boognoss... That's terrible. Did you see him coming? What was the horn noise? An AirZound?

Did you catch the same guy at the lights and get the registration then?

And sorry Mulger Bill, I didn't confront him at the lights. I'm not that confident in those situations.
I heard it and saw it in my mirrors but expected it to wait until the oncoming car had passed. Stupid me.

I didn't get the rego later because I didn't think i needed to. I didn't realise at the time that I hadn't captured the rego with either of my two cameras (until tonight when I cut the video together).

Also at the lights the hill kicks up for about 25m and I cross to the right to a shared path to turn right before the crest/lights/intersection. Just too fiddly.

Correct on the horn. Airzound. It's mounted pretty behind the bar mounted Gopro that you see for the first half of the video, but they are both in the waterproof enclosures which muffles all sound a bit. It's much louder than it seems in the video ;-).

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:40 pm

They are 2 way-too-close passes Boognoss and Jules. Lack of judgement and/or care from the motorists in both cases?

The airzound in Boognoss' video might have masked any questionable language a la Jules, which seems to sum up the only possible reaction when you are in these incidents.

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:58 pm

Marto wrote:Here is a bus passing me within my lane (not the closest pass, but not the best way to do it), and resultant conversation with driver. Just went to give them a FYI rather than a rant. His attitude ended up being far worse than the pass!

Of course, the video camera did a save and continue just at the point of passing :roll: , so a few frames are missing at the critical moment (but you can see from the time stamp bottom left that only one second is lost).

I'd be passing that one on to BCC with a please explian.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 pm

Marto wrote:Here is a bus passing me within my lane (not the closest pass, but not the best way to do it), and resultant conversation with driver. Just went to give them a FYI rather than a rant. His attitude ended up being far worse than the pass!

Straight off to the bus company, with a copy to the police. That guy is long overdue for some serious re-education. Failing that loss of his 'ticket to ride'

:roll: :roll:

Really stunningly stoopid attitude!!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:39 pm

PB12IN wrote:

Sure I will. Here is the dialogue anyway:

Me: "you cut me off a bit close there"
Driver: "Mate, I can't get any closer, further away, right. You are either going to have to change gears, or get out of the way"
Me: "Well, you gotta be in one lane or the other - you can't pass in the same lane as a car"
Driver: "Don't tell me what I can or can't do, right. You were taking up the road and I [couldn't?] get past you"
Me: "I'm not telling you, the legislation is"
Driver: "Hey"
Me: "the legislation says that"
Driver: "Look, I don't give a s--t about the legislation mate, you were in the way, okay?"

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:04 am

TraceyG wrote:. Excuse me? I'm only trying to prevent you from having a very nasty high speed accident with a 150kg cow!

Worlds lightest calf

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:25 am

Some professional drivers up here in Queensland.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 am

trailgumby wrote:
Ross wrote:What did they say about you crossing double lines and riding on the wrong side of the road?
There's always gotta be one... :lol:
You didn't answer my question. You are reporting a car driver to the police for breaking road rules and nearly having a collision with you yet you have broken at least two road rules yourself but this seems a non-issue to you and other forum members. Is it only car drivers that have to obey road rules and not cyclists? My bad, I didn't know that rule had come in. Maybe it is a special rule just for your neighbourhood.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:41 am

Straight to BCC form Marto: http://translink.com.au/site-informatio ... p/feedback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Poor attitude.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Ross wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
Ross wrote:What did they say about you crossing double lines and riding on the wrong side of the road?
You didn't answer my question. You are reporting a car driver to the police for breaking road rules and nearly having a collision with you yet you have broken at least two road rules yourself but this seems a non-issue to you and other forum members. Is it only car drivers that have to obey road rules and not cyclists? My bad, I didn't know that rule had come in. Maybe it is a special rule just for your neighbourhood.
That's because the question as you framed it can't be answered, Jobsworth. Like this one: "Have you stopped beating up your mother, yet?" :lol: Subject didn't rate a mention.

People break rules all the time. I could fill my hard drive with terabytes of footage and spend my time full time in court as a witness if i was to report everything i capture. The criteria here is reckless or discourteous behaviour that puts others at risk of harm.

Given my purpose was to ID the driver, I think a little jaywalking (if I'd dismounted) or line-crossing is immaterial, yeah?
Last edited by trailgumby on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Do whatever you think is neccessary to justify your hypocrisy.

redned

Postby redned » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:03 pm

TraceyG wrote:And then 10km further on, I found a black cow wandering on the road in a 100kmh zone so I did the right thing and called the police, who asked me to stay on the scene until they arrived. Dozens of vehicles went through in this time and most of them ignored my attempts to slow them down. Excuse me? I'm only trying to prevent you from having a very nasty high speed accident with a 150kg cow!
Those cows that don't follow the rules give the rest of us cows a bad name.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:07 pm

redned wrote: Those cows that don't follow the rules give the rest of us cows a bad name.
Tell me about it.... 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Ross wrote:Do whatever you think is neccessary to justify your hypocrisy.
:roll:

Sense of proportion impaired much?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Ross wrote: Is it only car drivers that have to obey road rules and not cyclists? My bad, I didn't know that rule had come in. Maybe it is a special rule just for your neighbourhood.
Yes, TG broke a road rule or two in speaking to an errant driver. Hypocrisy I guess.

If the car had have clipped TG and dropped him on the tarmac, would you be demanding police issue a fine for the pedestrian who ran diagonally across the road to help him? Or the cyclist who rode the wrong way back along the road to do the same? Both illegal acts and potentially dangerous.

Or will you just call them hypocrites?

:roll:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

zero

Postby zero » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Ross wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
We've been critical of cyclists who have come here, presented video of them causing near accidents and blaming the other party. ie I think we are actually very consistent on that. I don't care enough about minor rule breaches by motorists that don't involve a near miss to anyone as to bother even posting them, and lord almighty do I see and video enough of them in a month.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:47 pm

zero wrote:I don't care enough about minor rule breaches by motorists that don't involve a near miss to anyone as to bother even posting them, and lord almighty do I see and video enough of them in a month.
Indeed. For example, I see people turning out of Clontarf with less than the required occupants and using the T3 Transit Lane for more than the maximum 100m on the way to Spit Bridge every morning. Wouldn't take much to establish a TIN, just a look in the cabin as I pass and a cross-reference to my Garmin stats. Technically, a breach. But no danger to me, and they're trying to get out of the lane as fast as a gap in the centre lane permits.

More a pain to buses coming from the northern beaches than anything, but shutting off that rat run left turn is a public policy decision that's not my call.

Reporting them ... pass.
Marto wrote:Driver: "Look, I don't give a s--t about the legislation mate, you were in the way, okay?"
Agree with the others, that's gotta be reported. Bully boy behaviour with a 20t piece of heavy machinery. Look forward to hearing the company's response.

arkle

Postby arkle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Marto wrote:
PB12IN wrote:

Sure I will. Here is the dialogue anyway:

Me: "you cut me off a bit close there"
Driver: "Mate, I can't get any closer, further away, right. You are either going to have to change gears, or get out of the way"
Me: "Well, you gotta be in one lane or the other - you can't pass in the same lane as a car"
Driver: "Don't tell me what I can or can't do, right. You were taking up the road and I [couldn't?] get past you"
Me: "I'm not telling you, the legislation is"
Me: "the legislation says that"
Driver: "Look, I don't give a s--t about the legislation mate, you were in the way, okay?"
That is shocking.

Corrected the dialogue for you:

Me: "You cut me off a bit close there"
Driver: "Mate, I can't get any close-, any further away, okay. You're going to have either to change gears, or move out of the way, I'm sorry"
Me: "Well, you gotta be in one lane or the other - you can't change to the same lane as another car"
Driver: "Don't tell me what I can or can't do, okay. You were taking up the road and I couldn't get past you"
Me: "I'm not telling you, the legislation is-"
Me: "The legislation says that"

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:32 pm

il padrone wrote:My reading of "giving way" would suggest that the driver should not have passed the cyclist in the first place. There is more to lane-changing than just being in front. Overtaking then changing lanes in front and braking to turn is a dubious practice.
I think the driver was somewhat selfish but I'd put her behaviour fairly meh on the scale of motorist evil. And I think the lamest way to influence drives to be better is to challenge them and add in the "bacause I am legally allowed to... You are going to get a ticket 'cos I've got the camera etc." If I was on th e recieivng end then, regardless of right or wrong, I'd just think the guy was a pratt and likely be saying so to my bogun mates over the bbq. Nope, not the way to make drivers better. That being said, at least the rider was civil and, it seemed, so was the driver.

As for the offence, I agree wholeheartedly that she should simply have slipped in behind. And as the rider suggested, she would not have done that to a smoke box.

The only time I ever actually had contact with a vehicle (in nearly 30 years riding on all manner of city roads) was a driver feeling comfortable with pulling in front and cutting a lefty - unlike the clip here there was zero warning. She got a chatting to by the police for it.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle