Great places for painting / powdercoating and chrome plating

jks

Great places for painting / powdercoating and chrome plating

Postby jks » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:50 am

Hi all -

I am sorry if this has been done before - if it has I cant find it..

I would like to smack together a list of quality service providers that paint, powder coat and electroplate - particularly chrome.

I have had some terrible work done recently so it's time (or time again) to get this up.

My thoughts -

In your reply list the service, location; state and town, what you had done, the turn around time, quality, a rough cost and how they can be contacted.

Again sorry is this has been done.

jks

Re: Great places for painting / powdercoating and chrome pla

Postby jks » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:04 am

Powder coating

P and J powder coating

Brisbane, Tingalpa

I have had a few things done here from frames to furniture

A non metallic colour and sandblast costs around $90 and the last metallic was around $120

Job was fairly good but be warned if there is pitting it will not be filled and small items like cups are not done.

Turnaround time was about 4-5 days - make sure the bike is broken down. alloys not blasted!

They are great blokes and one rides so he is sympathetic to the cause.

dayne

Postby dayne » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 pm

The best chrome platers and anno are qld name plates in brisbane.
A bit price but they do my old cineli steel gear and Llewellyn and Joe cosgroves work.
The finish is amazing.

Mattfixed

Postby Mattfixed » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Unicoatings - Shed 14B/366 Bilson Road, Geebung/Virginia.
07 3865 5858

They do a great job;
Caustic dip frame
Sandblast
then powder coat

140+ Colours available I believe

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Painting/plating if you want a special job:
Joe Cosgrove
Moorooka (Bris)
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

sled

Postby sled » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Im interested to hear from any in Sydney?? pics would be great too

sunho

Postby sunho » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 am

I got a frame done at Mr Cleans (AT) Padstow, they open on Saturday from 7am-12pm (which was convenient for me)
Result: Fork was done as desired, frame had some bubbles and spots which the powdercoater missed which was really disappointing. It also looks like they dented my frame slightly.
never going there again $110 Sand and coat

Star enamellers I have heard are the benchmark.
Prices arent cheap but apparently the job they do is just astounding. I called em and they told me 7 week waiting list and so I declined.
I'm sure plenty of bikes here were painted by those guys.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Best, cheap powder coat in north Brisbane. Caboolture Powdercoaters. 17 Aerodrome Rd. Caboolture. About $65 for a blast and no fancy colour. $85 for metallics. They have done heaps of frames and know what to coat and not what to coat.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:05 pm

S Cook & Sons for chrome plating. Not cheap but quality work.

http://www.metal-polishing-repair.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

jks

Postby jks » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Nice work all! lets hope in time the list grows.

sled

Postby sled » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Any photos of bikes done from star enamellers?

jks

Postby jks » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:55 am

Hi all,

Thanks to those of you developing the list- I know there are more places about for good work so lets hope the list grows.
The suggested format for the posts is as per the first post.

lets see this baby grow- a great tool for those wanting quality work.

Happy Autumn BTW

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Hamster wrote:S Cook & Sons for chrome plating. Not cheap but quality work.

http://www.metal-polishing-repair.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They also do other metals , silver,copper etc, I used them a lot in the jewellery game.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:43 pm

Heard some good reports of: "Paint my Bike" in Brisbane.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:50 pm

For powdercoating- South East Superior Coatings at Coolum on the Sunshine Coast.
Sand blast (including taping off the headtube and BB!) and primer powdercoat for $33!
I don't know if that is their normal price or they were just feeling charitable when my fiancee took my frames in, but i've had 6 frames and forks done there. Very very nice results, the primer powdercoat is a FANTASTIC base to paint on, as it is super smooth. I had 2 frames and forks powdercoated in "the glossiest black you can do", and they look VERY good.

For chrome plating- Kunda Park Electroplating, near Maroochydore.
I had a set of cranks and stem off my dad's 1955 Healing redone, they were in pretty poor shape with lots of rust and a fair bit of pitting, but came back looking fantastic. From memory it cost about $140.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

dayne

Postby dayne » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:30 am

I've used superior coatings with some good results,
I would never let any one sand blast another frame again,
They did one for me and blew holes in it, not all there fault as it obviously had rust but most blast materials are too corse.

I now use soda blast or acid bath.
But there coating was finished well.

Suncoast electro playing, I took some cinelli 14's there paid top dollar and got them back with tiny holes in the chrome and he shrugs his shoulders and said meh that's normal and not to worry.

Truly the best chrome around is qld name plates bar none.

Paint my bike are just ok with paint,

They are the go to for carbon repairs, I paid top dollar for my s works road frame and they cut corners and it has a couple of thick edges and a run or two, this is a $4000 frame

But I have seen other stuff they have done that is great, I guess it depends how busy they are.

rollin

Postby rollin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:15 am

Lewis & sons in Brisbane is most probably the best bicycle powdercoater in the country, does amazing candys and clear black smoke over chrome, does all the old school bmxers and those guys are fussy

Blue chrome are excellent in Sydney, say $120 for bars

Hamilton chrome in Newcastle aren't quite as good but are half the price and the job is decent

Brookvale powdercoating are good in Sydney $120 frame and he has candy over silver, 1 frame 220, 2 frame 240...

Strike a shine polishing in Brisbane polishes all aluminium to look like chrome, and does anodizing...

munga

Postby munga » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:36 am

dayne wrote: Paint my bike are just ok with paint,

They are the go to for carbon repairs, I paid top dollar for my s works road frame and they cut corners and it has a couple of thick edges and a run or two, this is a $4000 frame

But I have seen other stuff they have done that is great, I guess it depends how busy they are.
that's a shame to hear considering they charge as much, if not more, than joe cosgrove.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:39 am

[/quote]that's a shame to hear considering they charge as much, if not more, than joe cosgrove.[/quote]

I dont want to hear that!!! I have a bill to pay at Joes next week? he told me it took him around 5 hours to mask/unmask the lugs alone!
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:16 am

[quote="Mustang] I dont want to hear that!!! I have a bill to pay at Joes next week? he told me it took him around 5 hours to mask/unmask the lugs alone![/quote]

That must be a mis quote? I can mask several cars in 5 hours, yes frames are fiddly but I used to do motorbike fariings as well and they wouldnt take more than 2Hrs including paint (not including prep or repair) if your using the correct masking tape it dont take long.

EPT in Queanbeyan are used by a lot of Summernats and hot Rod peeps and do a lot of frames for someone who is painting them in mass.

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Torana68 wrote:[quote="Mustang] I dont want to hear that!!! I have a bill to pay at Joes next week? he told me it took him around 5 hours to mask/unmask the lugs alone!
That must be a mis quote? I can mask several cars in 5 hours, yes frames are fiddly but I used to do motorbike fariings as well and they wouldnt take more than 2Hrs including paint (not including prep or repair) if your using the correct masking tape it dont take long.

EPT in Queanbeyan are used by a lot of Summernats and hot Rod peeps and do a lot of frames for someone who is painting them in mass.[/quote][/quote]

Yep EPT (Electroplating Technology) did a brilliant job on a frame and fork for me, though don't expect it to happen in a hurry.
I'll post pics when it comes back from Peter Fleming at Star Enamellers who is the frame painter of choice in Sydney, also don't expect it to happen quickly.
Have a great ride,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:13 pm

dayne wrote:I've used superior coatings with some good results,
I would never let any one sand blast another frame again,
They did one for me and blew holes in it, not all there fault as it obviously had rust but most blast materials are too corse.
Ouch :shock: . A couple of the frames i had them sand blast had a fair bit of rust, especially my dad's 55 Healing, which had been hanging in a draughty shed for several decades.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:39 pm

humanbeing wrote: Yep EPT (Electroplating Technology) did a brilliant job on a frame and fork for me, though don't expect it to happen in a hurry. I'll post pics when it comes back from Peter Fleming at Star Enamellers who is the frame painter of choice in Sydney, also don't expect it to happen quickly.
Have a great ride,
Peter
I get access there and I can tell you the work they have to get through is amazing, come Nov/Dec they are up the their armpits in Mustang/Chev/Cadie/Torrie/ford parts. They usually stop accepting chrome work in late November (zinc etc doesnt take up the same amount of time). I get to see a lot of nice bike frames out the back waiting for chrome :)
Their chrome is triple plate, check with your supplier and see if its copper/nickel/chrome your getting before you send it, some dont do copper but still charge a motza.

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Torana68 wrote:
humanbeing wrote: Yep EPT (Electroplating Technology) did a brilliant job on a frame and fork for me, though don't expect it to happen in a hurry. I'll post pics when it comes back from Peter Fleming at Star Enamellers who is the frame painter of choice in Sydney, also don't expect it to happen quickly.
Have a great ride,
Peter
I get access there and I can tell you the work they have to get through is amazing, come Nov/Dec they are up the their armpits in Mustang/Chev/Cadie/Torrie/ford parts. They usually stop accepting chrome work in late November (zinc etc doesnt take up the same amount of time). I get to see a lot of nice bike frames out the back waiting for chrome :)
Their chrome is triple plate, check with your supplier and see if its copper/nickel/chrome your getting before you send it, some dont do copper but still charge a motza.
:D The work is definitely worth the wait
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

jks

Postby jks » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:42 am

List is bumping along well people! love ya work!