How is your bike setup fpr travelling

ColinOldnCranky

How is your bike setup fpr travelling

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:29 pm

I consider myself more a cyclist than a unicyclist. Just because I treat my riding as I did when I rode a bike to work, squash, basketball, errands.

And today I worked out one more improvement to the setup of my unicyle.

If you also fiddle constantly to improve the practical aspects of getting aobut, then perhaps you can describe some of your ideas here.

Or even declare your failures - I am sure that someone somewhere will have found a highly personal solution to it.

So, to get the ball rolling, read on to my latest little win...
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

dynamictiger

Re: How is your bike setup fpr travelling

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:34 pm

I ride to work as often as I can...unfortunately this week not a lot, but maybe next week.

I also like listening to the radio in the morning. I came across an Ispeaker thing on Amazon and bought it. Witha bit of imagination and some silicon bands I managed to get it to mount to the handle bars, however I can't get teh radio from my ipod thing to work with it...oh well. As it turned out after a few weeks it went back as it started crackling badly etc.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Today I worked out a workable way to attach the toolkit with a couple of loops of shockchord. Also means that I do not have to worry about perishing of rubber bands that hold the pump on.

The intent is, as well as convenience of access, to get weight onto the frame - thereby taking the weight off my backpack and so less weight being supported by my bony bum.

So now I have:
  • Trip meter/odometer
  • Water bottle
  • Pump
  • Tool kit
as well as seat padding, extra lights that I can clip on in various places, etc

With winter I will shortly be faced with occasions where a downpour hits and I get soaked as I take the backpack off, rummage through it, and refit the backpack before I can get the pancho on. So now at the top of my list is to somehow get that onto the frame.

Maybe just a little bag that straps onto the back of the seat (no attachment points on the seat available).
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:43 pm

dynamictiger wrote:I ride to work as often as I can...unfortunately this week not a lot, but maybe next week.

I also like listening to the radio in the morning. I came across an Ispeaker thing on Amazon and bought it. Witha bit of imagination and some silicon bands I managed to get it to mount to the handle bars, however I can't get teh radio from my ipod thing to work with it...oh well. As it turned out after a few weeks it went back as it started crackling badly etc.
I like to take the radio and listen to the news but again it is extra weight and I don't want buds. If I could find the right mini-radio with press-button tuning that I could detach and hold up I would add that too. Unfortunately most tiny ones do not receive AM band these days. And often do not have a speaker either.

If you look at the pic, I have a little space remaining low down behind the trip meter.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Colin, I don't know how tight you can roll the poncho, but could it be tucked in under the seat secured by the centre elastic band?
Maybe something using the screws that attach the handle? An appropriate length and suitably drilled bit of steel strapping covered in heatshrink perhaps?

I'm only going off the pic here, no practical experience with uni seats.
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:48 pm

I don't think I have any original ideas to add. My commuter started life as a plain flat bar roadie with a hub gear.
Progressively it has acquired:
mudguards
lights (numerous iterations)
SPD pedals (two iterations)
rear rack and pannier
Marathon tyres
front disc brake (and the necessary fork and hub)
smaller sprocket (two iterations)
Ergon grips
bar ends removed
slim spoke reflectors

Plus various maintenance items (chainring, chains, cables, hub rebuild)

Riding gear is semi-serious (shy shorts, gloves, jacket in the cold/wet) - I don't want to scare people by strapping on lycra...

In the future it may acquire some lighter parts (tyres, saddle & post), and maybe a drop bar. And nicer mudguards. and...

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:33 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I like to take the radio and listen to the news but again it is extra weight and I don't want buds. If I could find the right mini-radio with press-button tuning that I could detach and hold up I would add that too. Unfortunately most tiny ones do not receive AM band these days. And often do not have a speaker either.

If you look at the pic, I have a little space remaining low down behind the trip meter.
I think I have a sound solution which is safe and works for radio.

First from BNA Home page review I discovered these:

http://www.o-tus.com/o-tus-mini-speaker-features/

Then as the Ipod was not the best radio I could find on the market at the weekend I invested in one of these and rubber banded it to my helmet this morning for a test ride.

http://www.sony.com.au/product/srf-s84

I am still working on improving the overall sound. However the solution works for FM radio which is normally more difficult to receive due to the earbud lead being used as antenna. On my ride into work the radio kept a good lock on the signal exception was when a plane flew over.

It was drowned out by the traffic on Leach Highway. However I have requested wedges to see if I can alter the speaker angles to get around this.
Colin this looks like a workable solution.

Other modifications I have made:
- Bought a rack...couldn't fit due to no mounting holes in frame found a solution http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tubus-clamp- ... prod12723/ and http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tubus-adapte ... prod13340/
- Panniers to get the load off my back and besides too friggin hot in Perth for backpacks

For witner I have some mudguards I fit to the seat post etc, however they won't work with the rack so this year will have to work out a different solution.

I can't help but feel my bike is a work in progress. I purchased it intially as a cheap, this cycling thing looks like a good way to keep fitter and to save using the car for local trips to the gym and pool. It has transitioned to a commuter as I discovered I enjoyed cycling enough to bother to ride to work...much further than originally intended. As the weather cools I am contemplating a ride from Victoria Park to Mandurah. More to see if I can manage it than for any other reason.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:40 pm

??????

Errrm...like this!
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Not enough creature comforts for me... :D :D :D

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Fitted to my handle bars, has a light, plays 4gb worth of mp3 and take a Micro SD card for more storage and has a radio. Also a siren but I don't dare use that. Speaker is at the other end.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:21 pm

FXST01 wrote:Fitted to my handle bars, has a light, plays 4gb worth of mp3 and take a Micro SD card for more storage and has a radio. Also a siren but I don't dare use that. Speaker is at the other end.
It's missing a video recorder! Next model?