First MTB Experience and a Thank You

First MTB Experience and a Thank You

Postby Mattheq » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:56 am

Well, I had my first MTB experience on the Kalamunda track yesterday. Didn't go as well as planned.

About 5 km in, I came off my bike and broke my right arm!

Thanks to Rob, Simon and Matt (not sure if you guys are on BNA) for stopping and rendering assistance. Ambo called, but had to walk for around an hour to get back to meet them - talk about new adventures in pain!

Thanks also to the rider who stopped to give me a triangular bandage to replace my makeshift sling. A 29er inner tube makes a pretty good sling, in case you're wondering, but isn't as comfortable as a bandage.

Think I might do a little more homework before attempting this again!
2011 Giant CrossCity 1
2011 Giant XtC 29er 1
User avatar
Mattheq
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:40 pm
Location: Duncraig, WA

by BNA » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:45 pm

BNA
 

Re: First MTB Experience and a Thank You

Postby uglybob » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:45 pm

ah so you were the reason for the ambo at the camelfarm yesterday! :P

did you come off along camakazi somewhere?
uglybob
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: First MTB Experience and a Thank You

Postby Marmoset » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Ouch, sending healing vibes your way. Don't give it up when you get out of the cast, it's a sport/pastime that's well worth keeping up with :D
Marmoset
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:08 am
Location: Perth

Re: First MTB Experience and a Thank You

Postby Mattheq » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:10 pm

uglybob wrote:ah so you were the reason for the ambo at the camelfarm yesterday! :P

did you come off along camakazi somewhere?


Yep, the Camakazi. Now I know how it got its name!
2011 Giant CrossCity 1
2011 Giant XtC 29er 1
User avatar
Mattheq
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:40 pm
Location: Duncraig, WA

Re: First MTB Experience and a Thank You

Postby Mattheq » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:11 pm

Marmoset wrote:Ouch, sending healing vibes your way. Don't give it up when you get out of the cast, it's a sport/pastime that's well worth keeping up with :D



Cheers Marmoset.
2011 Giant CrossCity 1
2011 Giant XtC 29er 1
User avatar
Mattheq
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:40 pm
Location: Duncraig, WA

Re: First MTB Experience and a Thank You

Postby eldavo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:44 am

Bummer about the injury, hope it heals well and quickly.
You can do with a new sig now, how about a fave "My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash"

On a general newbies to offroad safety note, you're pretty safe for emergency assistance on the popular single trail loops, but not a good idea to free ride unknown areas by yourself if new to offroading. Even on a popular track with traffic, a colleague knew a guy who overshot a bend, punctured lung in 10m off the bank, couldn't move, couldn't shout to the passers by within sight/ear shot, and even people who knew he was there didn't know where they lost him and took a while to be found, etc. etc.
eldavo
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: First MTB Experience and a Thank You

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:35 am

eldavo wrote:Bummer about the injury, hope it heals well and quickly.
You can do with a new sig now, how about a fave "My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash"

On a general newbies to offroad safety note, you're pretty safe for emergency assistance on the popular single trail loops, but not a good idea to free ride unknown areas by yourself if new to offroading. Even on a popular track with traffic, a colleague knew a guy who overshot a bend, punctured lung in 10m off the bank, couldn't move, couldn't shout to the passers by within sight/ear shot, and even people who knew he was there didn't know where they lost him and took a while to be found, etc. etc.



A whistle is a useful addition for a off road rider.
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
User avatar
mitzikatzi
 
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Perth

Re: First MTB Experience and a Thank You

Postby uglybob » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 am

Mattheq wrote:
uglybob wrote:ah so you were the reason for the ambo at the camelfarm yesterday! :P

did you come off along camakazi somewhere?


Yep, the Camakazi. Now I know how it got its name!


actually named after a bloke called Cam :wink:

i came off in a rock garden there last week, split my knee open among other things. very dry & dusty there at the moment.
uglybob
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: First MTB Experience and a Thank You

Postby Lovelessrobot » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:24 am

I also had my first MTB experience and would like to say thanks. I was up at Kalamunda Circuit with my son today trying out the skills track and was also pleasantly surprised by the friendliness and helpfulness of others.
We only had a minor issue of not being able to get my front wheel on smoothly (twice), and we were offered help all round.
Thanks :)

Also got advice about other places to try. On the way home my son said he had the best day ever and thanks for taking me Mum. It made my day.

I hope your arm heals quickly.
Lovelessrobot
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm


Return to Western Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter