Bike shoes for Bigfoot

Halfanewb

Bike shoes for Bigfoot

Postby Halfanewb » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:03 pm

Ive got humungous (and smelly) feet and most of the bike stores i have been to only stock up to size 12uk or 47-48eu shoes, the 48's are still a tad short and way too narrow.

Does anyone know of a shop in the brisbane area that sells big sizes?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:26 pm

Hi Tom,

Seen the odd thread on large shoes in the past but no success in finding any.

Personally I'd start with the manufacturers to find out who actually manufacturers shoes in your size. Then armed with this info, I'd phone up every bike shop in south east QLD and if no one stocks them, then you are going to have to guess your size and purchase mail order.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers, Michael.
Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:59 am

DOn't know about sized, but........

I just purchased my first pair of road shoes, and after trying on several pairs found that Specialized manifacture a slightly wider / shorter shoe (perfect for me!).

Apparently Sidi also provide varying widths so maybe try these two brands.

Don't forget to post your findings here so you can help other people in your predicament.

Good Luck

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:28 pm

As gururug said, Specialized shoes seem to be a bit wider - Sidi may well be, but are expensive. I have wide feet too and my Exustar shoes fit well - they are very similar to the Specialized in fitting - I'm a 44 in both.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:23 pm

After ringing around today i found that most of the cycle shops stocked the popular brands but didn't have a large range to choose from when it came to extra large sizes (sounds familiar? ), in the end i was lucky at Brisbane Bicycle they had a pair of shimano sh-ro74 (this years stock is a r075 with a third strap) in 49/14 which are a perfect fit. it was pure luck they had them in stock though, someone had ordered a pair and never collected them.

If i was to order/buy over the net at a future date i would give these tips to folks in the same predicament as mine. Ring first to confirm they have them in stock or you might be faced with a long wait time. Stick with shoes that have double/triple straps or laceups because you will have some extra room in the shoe if you have a high arch and stay away from shoes that have elastic material instead of a tongue. Also bike shoes tend to be roughly one size up from your regular runner.

My impressions were that most of the sales people would say "oh this brand makes a slightly broader shoe" and after trying to squeeze into them you realize its just salesmans bs , however i found that shimano do actually make their shoes with a larger toebox and have models that are made for truely broad feet.

good luck ! :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:06 pm

Congratulations. Bike shoes are long lasting, you may get 4 years use out of them.

Some shimano models have wider toe boxes than others, so the model to choose depends on your foot. I have shimano shoes and appreciate the wide toe box

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bigkev

Postby bigkev » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:23 pm

hi i have a pair of size 50 mtb shoes thay are shimano mo75 if you contact shimano thay will put you in contact with a shop that will get them in for you to try on and thay are huge but so is my foot lol hope to been some help

531db

Postby 531db » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:07 pm

I find Specialized road shoes, to have a wider toebox than Shimano road shoes. I ride a size 43 in Specialized (Sport Road), but go to 44 in Shimano Road (RO75) shoes for toe room. Interestingly, size 43 is ok in Shimano MTB shoes, they seem to use a wider last than for road shoes.
Anything Italian eg Sidi requires a 44, but width (or lack of) can still be an issue.