Which 50mm Carbon Wheels

steveo

Re: Which 50mm Carbon Wheels

Postby steveo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:13 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:My chinese carbon frame has been fine for over a year now with one decent crash to its name. The only issues of chinese carbon frames I've heard of failing are the same two or three from a few years ago that have been attributed to assembly error (over-torquing screws, sanding down steerer tubes). The chinese factories make open mold frames AND name brand frames and they're all tested so it's not like either one is going to be less reliable. There are plenty of reports of name brand frames cracking through normal use and lots of people complaining about how poor the warrenty service is so it's not like paying more for name brand will even ensure you have an easier life. Concerns of chinese frames and wheels not meeting strength or quality standards vs. name brand are all fear and missinformation.
I can't find anything negative on forums or you tube. We are talking about a $2200 to $2500 saving on Zipp 404's. I'll do some more research.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:56 pm

There have definitely been some issues with both the CF road and the CF MTB rims.
Whetehr there has been more or less issues than with name brands, I could not say.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:15 pm

sumgy wrote:There have definitely been some issues with both the CF road and the CF MTB rims.
Whetehr there has been more or less issues than with name brands, I could not say.
Can you list anything specific? I've heard about wheels going out of true or developing bumps from breaking too long on descents but that's a problem common to all of the carbon clinchers I've ever seen.

steveo

Postby steveo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:43 pm

bardygrub wrote:Hi Steveo,

First things first, check out the below thread.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=55696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am now looking at also getting new wheels. One thing which i have found recently, is those that have 50mm+ deep rims will tell you this and that about how the rims are no good in a cross wind no good for climbing no good for desending and so fourth all while riding/training on thier 50mm deep rims :? :? :? i think the fact is they know how good they are and dont want others to know about it! If you are at the 100 kg mark your body mass is alot more to worry about in a cross wind than 50mm deep dish rims.

My style of riding is what they call heavy and i put alot of strain on my front wheel im also around the 100kg mark im 6'2" and around 96kg. I dont see any problem with riding /training on deep dish as there are alot of people doing it, unless you want that extra boost on race day. But lets face it its the engine that does up to 97% off the work.

I have a meeting with my lbs on thursday to discuss what wheels to go for due to destroying 2 front mavic aksiums in 6 months(yet i have never had an issue with the rear)

And the # 1 factor about getting deep dish rims is the BLING!! so go for it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It would great to know what your LBS recommends for your size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:02 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:
sumgy wrote:There have definitely been some issues with both the CF road and the CF MTB rims.
Can you list anything specific? I've heard about wheels going out of true or developing bumps from breaking too long on descents but that's a problem common to all of the carbon clinchers I've ever seen.
I have read of them cracking straight through the spoke holes whilst being built up.
In fact I believe a member of these boards had an issue whilst building some up.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:38 pm

One of the issues I'm aware of with carbon clinchers at least, regardless of manufacturers, is overheating the braking surface and having tire blow-outs.

More specifically many if not all stories of failure had the one thing in common... Yellow swissstops. Also using latex tubes was common in these failures.

The yellow swissstops heat up when being ridden hard/dragging constantly on descents. Along with poor heat dissipation of the carbon rims and the propensity for latex tubes to swell when heated lead to blow outs.

The way I look at it is it's just a limitation of carbon clinchers rather than a defect. I just a avoid the yellow swissstops, latex tubes and dragging on steep descents... No problems.

cippo

Postby cippo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 pm

ZIPPS!!! nothing compares

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:13 pm

cippo wrote:ZIPPS!!! nothing compares
I have gone through a few set of Zipps.. Out of 4 of them 3 started to show signs of bulging in the carbon around the nipples. (Only weigh 65kg)

Other than that they are great but I wouldn't buy another set of Zipps anytime soon.

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:29 pm

I have 50mm china carbon clincher's on my street beater bike.

Good fun. I hop curbs, bunny hops over speedhumps, wheelies, whipskidz (track wheels becausefixie) etc etc with no dramas.

They do need a slight going over with a spoke key, but otherwise, why not. Just plunge in. F the haters. Ride what you like.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:03 pm

steveo wrote:Thanks WH1. Never heard of the Yishun brand, their 60mm carbon wheels have a rider weight limit of 115kg's. Anyone had an experience with these wheels, build quality etc.
Have a look on here. Plenty of info/experiences with Chinese carbon wheels.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Had many set of zipps?

I will never buy another set... There are many better made, better quality, better supported wheels around than zipps that are just as fast for less money...

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
Had many set of zipps?

I will never buy another set... There are many better made, better quality, better supported wheels around than zipps that are just as fast for less money...
I agree..

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:58 pm

..and those are? For less money that is.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:21 am

Puffy wrote:..and those are? For less money that is.
This is easy... Name any wheel really...

But seriously, the HEDs are certainly a better, more durable wheelset than the Zipps... I would buy the DA C50s any day of the week in preference to zipps, and they are about $1000 less?! Even the ENVEs with the less laterally stiff DT240 hubs are a better wheel to ride than anything zipp puts out with their 188 hubs... The Mavic deep dish wheels are certainly on a par with the zipps and much cheaper. Need I go on?

I could put up the pictures of the damage to 2 of my frames that exploding zipp 188 hubs caused to add further weight if u like?

Here's the exploding hubs from my 303s, and Zedtech 404s.... I won't get started on the painful warranty process that dealing with Echelon sports/Zipp proved to be...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Zipp wheels :roll:

No match for the Dr Mutley pistons 8) :)

Hope the bloody things didn't damage the mighty Cervelo too much :x

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:08 pm

warthog1 wrote:...mighty Cervelo...
:lol: Gotta hand it to ya WH, you're good for a laugh. :P

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
Puffy wrote:..and those are? For less money that is.
This is easy... Name any wheel really...

But seriously, the HEDs are certainly a better, more durable wheelset than the Zipps...
I've actually got two sets of HEDs, one 50mm the other 65mm. Both have been fine - the 65mm ones are very, very good - and have some very good DT Swiss hubs. Can't recommend them enough. I don't really put much load on them, I'm quite light and not particularly tall.

The 50mm ones aren't too bad in crosswind, but the 65mm ones will scare the unwary at very high speed if a sudden gust of wind picks up. You get used to it though.

Braking with them at the start (these have the carbon brake surface too) was funny - the things made the most horrendous noise. :lol: A better warning device than any bell! :D

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:...mighty Cervelo...
:lol: Gotta hand it to ya WH, you're good for a laugh. :P

Well of course it was the zipp wheels that couldn't handle the strain. I'm sure the Cervelo was fine. Don't know why I even asked :roll:

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:55 am

warthog1 wrote:Zipp wheels :roll:

No match for the Dr Mutley pistons 8) :)

Hope the bloody things didn't damage the mighty Cervelo too much :x

Took a few layers of carbon off the inside of my chainstay... Wasn't impressed ;-)

Fixie82

Postby Fixie82 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:59 am

Some great advice and information in here, so thought I would throw in my 2c.

I have ridden a few deep dish wheelsets and would recommend anything other than the Chinese (my pair were from Farsport) wheels. I think you will be happy with any of the choices you have suggested. I bought my pair of 50mm chinese clinchers (Clincher, pillar bladed spokes, novatech hubs) as an experiment and sold them two months later (probably only 5 rides), they looked great thats for sure and were fairly light but the build quality and performance was sub par. Initially the spokes had a lot of pinging, I thought this was them just settling in, but it continued. I eventually rebuilt both wheels and it helped but did not solve the issues I was having. The spokes kept pinging, wheel flex was a major issue and braking was horrible. The only bright spot of the wheels was the Novatech hubs, for the money they were smooth as silk and would just keep rolling.

I replaced these with a set of Dura Ace C50's that I picked up 2nd hand for not much more than the Chinese options, you really do get what you pay for. These are very stiff, roll superbly and ride quality is night and day between the two. Other peoples experiences will of course vary but at your weight (I am 87kg) I wouldn't touch the Chinese wheels with a 10foot barge pole.

If these are race wheels look at second hand options, especially tubulars as a lot of people buy them use them a couple of times, get out of racing and want to offload them. They really do seem to lose value a lot quicker than clincher options. I know a few people who ride regularly on Tubulars and have been on training rides with them before when I have woken up to a slow leak on the clinchers and didn't have time to fix the puncture. Just grabbed the other bike and out the door I went. With items such as Vittoria Pitt Stop, puncturing on a tubular isn't as scary as most people would assume, I haven't had a puncture yet that Pitt Stop didn't fix. You can also run a small amount of sealant all the time in them as well if you want to be extra careful.

I would also seriously look at Pro Lite wheels, I had a set of Gavia wheels as they were excellent. Very stiff and great quality, there is a slight weight penalty but the stiffness of the wheel more than makes up for it. I can't comment on the clincher models as I only had the tubular ones but can't see the stiffness being different.

As other have mentioned Hed make awesome wheels, as do Corima, I haven't had Zipps or Reynolds so can't comment on those.

Good Luck, I am keen to hear what you end up on.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Took a few layers of carbon off the inside of my chainstay... Wasn't impressed ;-)
:x :x

toppity

Postby toppity » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:50 am

steveo wrote:Thanks WH1. Never heard of the Yishun brand, their 60mm carbon wheels have a rider weight limit of 115kg's. Anyone had an experience with these wheels, build quality etc.
I had a set of 60mm yishun carbon tubulars a couple of years ago. They flexed a fair bit and weren't too flash in cross winds. The braking surfaces started to suffer a little after a couple of hundred km's so I flogged them off. I'm about 100kg 6'2" sprinter and have had a set of 404's for a while now. They are a very good wheel that I have had no trouble with. They do flex a bit as well. I got Greg at TWE to build a 80mm rear wheel which I asked to be stiff, but it flexes a little more than the 404's even ith 24 spokes. I've tried C50's and they are heavy compared to the 404's and they didn't roll as well. I have a set of RS80 (35mm) which are an excellent all round wheel. I'll never be without a set of these. I also have a set of Reynolds Solitudes but they flex a heap. My old Mavic open4cd's on ultegra hubs are solid but weigh too much. I have some cheap Mavix CPX22 which are my wet weather wheels. They are bullet proof but weigh a heap.

I personally don't think I have enough wheels. :D I'm looking to get either a set of 202's or 303's. More than likely clinchers for the convenience. That is unless a can somehow wrangle a set of Enve's for around $2K.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 am

But which wheel provides the Zipp's satisfying hub noise? Personally I love loud hubs because it pre-warns pedestrians of me coming up behind rather than being a quiet ninja on cycle paths. Riding on the RS80 C24, it's deadly silent and I constantly need to ring the bell or shout to get any attention (flashing lights don't do anything for their attention).

steveo

Postby steveo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi everyone

I went with the Zipp 404's firecrest beyond black. LBS should get them in early next week. Can't wait to try them.
Kind regards.

Nashy25

Postby Nashy25 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:28 pm

Hey Stevo,
Just wondering how the 2013 zipp firecrest 404 tubulars turned out? I'm about to purchase a set from 2013 but have seen a few reviews about issues with staying true? I'm only very new to riding so don't want to be making too many trips to the LBS just to get them trued? any feedback would be great.

Thanks for your help Nashy