cycling mates

YsoSerious

cycling mates

Postby YsoSerious » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:57 am

Hey all,

I finally splurged on an Apollo vespo road bike, and from previously using a mountain bike for travel, I have never ever had so much fun with on a bike. The vespo lets me hit speeds up to 60km/h where as tops on the Mbike was about 20

Ive started doing 20km rides per night along the coast circa hillarys/scarborough and some 40km daytime rides in whiteman park. No one that i know is into cycling and it gets a lil boring by myself these days. Im wondering if (and please excuse me if this isnt the place to post it), if anyone is interested in joining me for a cycle every now and then :)

not to be mistaking this for a dating site, but im 22 and male and looking for similar minded people to join me on some rides :)

citywomble

Re: cycling mates

Postby citywomble » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:09 am

I hope your road bike is used on the roads at those speeds and you have good lights for the evenings.

Please do not think it OK to ride fast on the shared paths along the coast, those paths are not intended or safe for speeds much above 20kph, such as you used to do on the MTB.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm

citywomble wrote:I hope your road bike is used on the roads at those speeds and you have good lights for the evenings.

Please do not think it OK to ride fast on the shared paths along the coast, those paths are not intended or safe for speeds much above 20kph, such as you used to do on the MTB.

Far out man, lighten up. He's just looking for people to ride with not a lesson on bike path etiquette.

@ysoserious: Check out your local bike shop man and find out about their group rides. Failing that bully your mates into riding like I did and you'll have a diy peleton.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Look around at your local bike shops- I ride every saturday in a group out from Malaga Cycles (various groups to cater for different fitness levels) and I know many of these guys ride regularly during the week separately. As I commute during the week I am too buggered to consider additional rides. Other bike shops have regular rides also possibly during the week (typically mornings).
We have enough bashing of cars, pedestrians, lycra, no lycra, wheelsuckers, red light runners etc that a simple request for someone to ride with should be left alone. Unless a top level TT there are few places 60km/h could be acheived on the PSS along West Coast Highway, probably more likely coming down the hill into Hillary's Boat Harbor (for instance)

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:33 pm

If you are NOR, I too, reccomend the Malaga Cycles Saturday morning rides. Good bunch of people.

They organise into groups ranging from 27kph average to 33+kph average. So you should be able to find one that suits.

The rides leave from the shop on Stanford Rd at 6am.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

YsoSerious

Postby YsoSerious » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 pm

citywomble wrote:I hope your road bike is used on the roads at those speeds and you have good lights for the evenings.

right you are

I only use the shared path to bypass hillarys marina and scarborough beach (as being on the roads on a bike at night there is a death wish)

My main cruising speed is only 24-33km/h and although to some pro cyclists out there think thats pretty cr@p just remember im new to this whole cycling thing haha :P

whiteman park, is almost impossible to even maintain 20km/h - you really need to keep an eye out for wildlife like kangaroos and humans, as well as other cyclists, pot holes, cracks in the pathway are about 3 to 9cm wide, trains, trams and very sharp turns. Really keeps you on the ball! (just dont go over the train tracks at speed, otherwise you will be filing a rape case against your bike seat)

:mrgreen:

Ill have a look at bikeforce and see what the deal is with these group cycles, though im more keen on just a few people haha those groups are kinda scary to be around, they'd dwarf me D:

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:01 pm

if your heading out to whiteman park way try heading along hepburn ave in the emergency strip instead. Nice straight runs and little hold ups from wanneroo rd/hartman road to marshall road and back. I use it as a bit of a time trial against myself, relatively safe as long as no sucker slams into you from behind. Also a 1.6k loop down gnangara road on the left just before hartman road the club racers use. Round and round with hardly any traffic on the weekends.