Perth LBS recommendation

cintamami

Perth LBS recommendation

Postby cintamami » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:20 am

Hi all,

As the title suggests, me and a couple of mates will be looking into getting our very first road bike.

Me personally, I am getting so sick of jogging and doing those body attacks classes, I need something to complement my exercise regime. Who knows this might lead to a more expensive exercise for me ;p. We are quite enthusiastic and is planning to participate in the Mandurah to CBD bike event (don't even remember what its called).

Now, I have narrowed down a few bike that we would like to see and try, they are:

Merida Race Lite 904 (2012)
Merida Race Lite 903 (2012)
Merida 93-com (2011)
Giant Defy 2 (2013)

At this stage, we are looking to get a bike with Tiagra gear set and hoping to spend less than $1,000 on each bike, I know on the 904 it is probably pushing it a little bit. I may have to fork a little more money than $1,000. Bike hire has 95-com ultegra set for $1,490 but one must one overstep his boundaries!!!!!

Looking at bikeexchange.com.au, Carine Cycle shop seems to come up on top in those 4 bikes in price alone.

My questions:

1. Have anyone here dealt with Carine Cycle shop before? how was your experience?
2. Perhaps anyone could recommend their LBS and perhaps some other bike? we prefer a known brand.
3. What is the "acceptable" norms for asking a discount? 20% 30% perhaps? the 904 is listed for $1,199 ($1,799 RRP i think) at Carine, is it possible to ask for a further discount normally? I fully understand that they too have family to provide for and won't be asking for too much. I heard going to winter months is the best month for discounts?

We will be looking to at least acquire a bike, shoes and pedal for each one of us in this shopping trip.

Many thanks for your assistance and input.

Kind regards
Herry

Yagan

Re: Perth LBS recommendation

Postby Yagan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:24 am

No idea about the bikes you are looking at but the old saying goes if you don't ask you don't get. No bike shop will lose money on a sale so no harm in asking.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:20 am

Hi mate.
If you're looking at Merida, check out Bikeforce, namely Bikeforce Success if you're SoR. Good friends of mine and top service .
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:26 pm

I know Cyclemania at North Perth will do the Giant's with Tiagra for about a grand. You might be able to get a 2012 for a touch cheaper if they have any left.

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi Cintamami

If you're after a Giant I can strongly recomend Georges Bike Shop In Willetton. See Peter and he'll look after you.
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Dobo wrote:If you're after a Giant I can strongly recomend Georges Bike Shop In Willetton. See Peter and he'll look after you.
Georges Willeton get my vote as well, though it really comes down to what's local to you. Pretty pointless if you're in the Two Rocks/Dongara area :D Dobo : I'm impressed you're loyal to them all the way from Baldivis :)

You get more the feel & attention of a smaller, older fashioned bike shop there. A nameless, but higher profile franchise shop just around the corner from Georges I've had a lot less consistency from.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

sli123

Postby sli123 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 pm

If you're anywhere nearby I can fully endorse the guys at Bike Force Morley. Ask for Gary or Nicole.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:58 am

I found carine cycles to be pretty good but was looking at two bikes they had advertised on bike exchange which they didn't actually have in store.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

cintamami

Postby cintamami » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi All

Thanks, I live SoR near Carousel, so all those bike shops are certainly within reach. I don't mind travelling a bit.

I guess I will check out Carine and the Morley's one.

Thanks,

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Pravda wrote:I found carine cycles to be pretty good but was looking at two bikes they had advertised on bike exchange which they didn't actually have in store.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
The exact scenario I had with Carine. My vote is for Malaga Cycles (ask for Jason) if you are NoR, have dealt with them off and on for over 10 years and purchased several bikes. Ended up on a Giant at similar price point to what you are looking at (TCX 1 for commuting etc).

jlh

Postby jlh » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:28 pm

If you're considering an Avanti or Scott, the Avanti Cannington store have been really good to me. I've had two sets of pedals replaced under warranty no issues.

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:14 pm

go see Angus and Chris (AT) Cycles bespoke in Bayswater. They stock Cannondale and Focsu amongst others.

I have found their service and advice second to none
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

cintamami

Postby cintamami » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi All

We have bought our bike!

We started from Southern River - Osborne Park - Carine - Freemantle - Perth CBD. Yes, I could have arrange it better.

Mercer in Freemantle is a top cycling store, one of us bought there. I bought one at a bike hire place, yes a bike hire with a better customer service than a dedicated bike shop, and another one of us bought from Carine cycle, not because of the service, but purely because of the price for a bike he has tested before.

Unbelievable, there were 4 people who wanted to buy a bike there and then, and the attitude these sales people have are just astonishing. I dont understand whether they just didnt have enough bike to show us or they just didnt have that much confidence in us buying. These was after we told them 4 of us were looking for a bike in the region of 1k-1.1k with at least tiagra set.

For Georges, one of us is still looking for a giant, we will try to visit this place sometime next Saturday.

So, total 4 people wanted a bike, tried to get all our bikes in 1 place, but for some reasons they may have made enough sales for yesterday hence none of them were interested. We ended up buying our bikes at 4 difference places.

Was a tiring day. hahaha. Thanks all for the recommendation.

We ended up spending way more than $1.1k each for our bike.

Rex

Postby Rex » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Hope you left a little in the kitty for equipment/upgrades.
For me thats when it started to get expensive, after spending $1.5k on my first bike 18months ago (which I'm still using)

Marmoset

Postby Marmoset » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:27 pm

I do find "sales" staff somewhat hard to fathom when they're like that :(

cintamami

Postby cintamami » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Yes,

all the accessories are ready / OTW. I spent cloes to 2k from a budgeted 1.1k.... LOL..... I think we ended up spending that much per person.

I dont understand them too, the one in osborne park, at one time, I thought she was leaving us to check on the bike that one of us was asking about after a test ride. Turned out not, we were left for her to chat with the other sales staff... we were like, hellow, there are 3 other people looking to buy a bike here. After that I left. But yes, Mercer is a top shop, but the rest that we visited were not. Even a bike hire place is better.

Magnum9

Postby Magnum9 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:38 pm

My wife and I went to Carine to buy a $2k bike they had on special. Walked around the shop for 10 minutes and we were the only ones in the shop but still didn't get any response from the two young clowns behind the counter. Took our money to Malaga Cycles instead.

cintamami

Postby cintamami » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Yep,

Carine was not great either, although one of us bought there. It was purely price reason, he knew what he wanted.

Update - turned out that they didnt have his bike, we just drove there to get a refund today and now looking to spend at Mercer again.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:30 am

HLC wrote:I know Cyclemania at North Perth will do the Giant's with Tiagra for about a grand. You might be able to get a 2012 for a touch cheaper if they have any left.
+2

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:16 am

Marty Moose wrote:
HLC wrote:I know Cyclemania at North Perth will do the Giant's with Tiagra for about a grand. You might be able to get a 2012 for a touch cheaper if they have any left.
+2

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Yep, and they look after people who go in looking to buy multiple bikes. I know of someone who twice in the last 12 months has gone in and bought multiple bikes and got a good deal.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Not surprised by this thread. Sadly Carine is my LBS but I've had bad experiences for simple things like a tyre a pair of crankarm bolts. So when it came to buying a bike I had to order that they could distribute, I didn't consider them.

A colleague had a far worse experience since he ordered over $2k of bike from the sister store Cottesloe Cycles, I wasn't surprised hearing the problem phone calls but hadn't warned him off just because of my experience. I understand why they are the way they are, I figure others will figure it out like they did here.

Cyclecentre in East Perth (almost CBD) knew their stuff for me, and the couple of bolts, small tool, cables etc. kept me going back for good service and fair DIY service prices, eventually became $1550 on a bike when they were one of over 220 national distributors listed that I could order through. I understand why they are good, good to hear they're not alone with the other places recommended.

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Mate and I both shop at Malaga Cycles. Guys down there are friendly and always willing to help out.

They sell Giant, Felt etc.

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:13 pm

I just bought 6 Bikes from Georges in Willeton for my work and Peter was more than happy to help out. I got a great deal and he looked after me with replacing the cassette and chain on my personal bike.
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012