Anybody wish their bike needed more maintenance?

mitzikatzi

Re: Anybody wish their bike needed more maintenance?

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Find a Mens Shed

Help local people maintain there bikes or get involved in restoring bikes to send to developing countries. There are several organization that do this, just Google it.

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 pm

I wish there was more time for bike fettling, but every time I think I'm on top of it something happens:

- young lady at work turns up on bicycle (after seeing mine) only some numpty has turned it into a pseudo single speed. I replaced everything with a nice old suntour group (cost me a day). Worth it just to see her ride to work 3 times a week.
- tip shop mountain bikes turned back around for friends.
- trying to rescue old 80s roadies, either broken down for storage or restored to rideable and handed on.
- friends of friends with busted stuff that is too small to take to the bike shop.
- my own bikes (cables, cleaning, tyres, tubes, spokes) it never seems to end but the mountain bikes are the worst.
- tandem stuff, the cheap ones are murder on wheels etc. there always seems to be something broken on a hard ridden tandem.

There just isn't enough time!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:40 am

drubie wrote:There just isn't enough time!
You're a good man Drub'. Respect.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:02 am

I'm with Drubie...if I'm not repairing my own then I may be fixing a mate's. At the moment (fingers crossed) I have three functional treadlies. And no mate's bikes..

The everyday MTB is the exception with busted spoke nipple on the rear wheel which is a PITA since it has just received a ghetto tubeless conversion. I have a spare wheel for it but it needs a new freehub. I have a spare spare wheel but it's a Maddux boat anchor.

Off to the tip shop later to find an appropriate frame to make a wheel building jig out of...and I am so dreaming of an excuse to get me one of these

So the answer is no because it distracts me from all the other fun I might be having...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm happy mine doesn't need much work on it. So I'm now changing the stem over to a 3T Integra Ltd with the Garmin mount on it. Some nice bling. But I could have gone full carbon bars with integrated stem for more bling effect! :D

In the future perhaps... I can get them in the colour I want too. :mrgreen: