Mount St Overpass

roller

Re: Mount St Overpass

Postby roller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:20 pm

CycleSnail wrote:
roller wrote:"FOOTPATH CLOSED" has now been replaced by "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT"

that should fix everything.
"
This is a tricky spot, and was difficult at the best of times. Would it have been better, in your opinion, to close the path for a few days?
Is that the only other option?
inflammatory statement or idea

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:33 am

The milk has spilt, no point crying over it here, as I think we are all agreement that this poor.

My journey home was uphill at this location. I stopped to allow around 10 cyclists through. I was really pleased that a fellow cyclists not only stopped and called me through, but he also asked the cyclists behind to move over to allow us to ride up.

There aren't traffic controllers when I went through, so use your own judgement to allow for traffic to flow. Hopefully with some emails i sent out tonight, some common sense will be applied and there may be tomorrow.

And if you want a cry, how about posting on halo on the mount Facebook etc. I did but they removed my item earlier for some reason :D

as7431

Postby as7431 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:36 pm

No controllers there this morning at around 8.15. I was heading down at the tail end of a gorup of about 8 that bunched up at the lights. THis section is bloody dangerous. Only a matter of time before there is an accident. There is no way they could shut off one lane of a major 2 lane road without the installation of temporary lights or traffic controllers. On a PSP, that appears to be perfectly acceptable.

EDIT: Just realised that since we ALL run red lights, temporary traffic lights are not a good solution :mrgreen:

Tim

Karati

Postby Karati » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm sure many had the wonderful experience of having to clamber across the large hole here last night. Whatever about the bike path; I'd like to know who the civil engineer is to make sure they aren't undermining the freeway!!

I took a few snaps on the way past...

Feel free to use images as you wish. Sorry they are 90 deg out.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:58 pm

I like the simulated "lying unconscious view". I missed it detouring by Joe's Cake Kitchen this morning dicing with Kings Park Rd. and Saint Georges Terrace downhill.

Here's the uprighty.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:21 am

Heard back from MainRoads this evening and more problems as another section has caved in and is currently covered by steel plate.

The path may be closed between 9am and 3pm on Friday Feb 22 with diversions being Mount St footbridge, Mount St, Spring St, then along the existing DUP under the freeway from Spring St to the Narrows Interchange.

The above is estimates only and is dependant on other work being completed, otherwise, the above will have to be re-scheduled.

I went over the steel plate on the way home, not the best and rain is expected tomorrow so slow down.

Pass this onto other cyclists, as there are lots who use this PSP.

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:37 pm

I rode up this section this morning. Came across two Darwin Award nominees riding two abreast down the hill. They immediately reformed two abreast again after passing through the chicane. :shock:
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:35 pm

I rode uphill through this section on Sunday. As I dismounted two possible tourists were coming downhill, the first (male) went straight through at speed and I politely reminded him of the sign. The second (female) dismounted. They both had a lot to say after my comment and with their thick Irish accents I wasn't sure if they were thanking me for being safety conscious or hurling abuse.

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:51 pm

wellington_street wrote:I have always wondered why those temporary fencing footings are installed perpendicular to the fence. They are a massive trip hazard when used adjacent to the footpath, especially one that is narrowed. can't understand why they aren't rotated 90 degrees to be parallel to the fence - they are still perfectly functional that way.
I imagine it is simply a stability issue. Parallel might be okay when you have no wind, but place a wind on the sail-like temporary fence and the odds of having an airborne guillotine will rapidly rise if they are not perpendicular to the fence.

Sorry didn't realize that someone had previously answered. My apologies.
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:55 pm

^ sentenced to community service traffic control at current downhill chicane. Abuse to foreigners optional.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:40 am

It was nice riding through this section yesterday on the way home. Area no longer has those 'barrier islands', metal plate has been replaced by a new tarmic.

Wonder if the City of Perth/MainRoads will do a review of what happened and if this can improved for the future. Surely the developer has traffic and incident management plans that would have been submitted as part of the development application. If so, then where were the public announcements about this issue, where were the public announcements when it would be resolved?

If it had been another meter east, and a section of the freeway would have been impacted. Would that have changed the scenerio, and would motorists have been OK waiting a week why the developer fixed up the issue?

roller

Postby roller » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:04 pm

SABOTAGE!!!

Oil spill on mount street bridge this morning, quite a few people fell over.

The oil spill could have been an accident, however the sabotage angle makes for more interesting reading.

Seemed to be more dangerous coming down the overpass than going up, so all using the bridge to exit the city on the way home please be cautious.
inflammatory statement or idea

Sundy84

Postby Sundy84 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:04 pm

It amuses me that people give out about riders cycling two abreast on the PSP on here yet we have a post warning cyclists of oil on a bridge that it is illegal for them to cross.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:10 pm

You must be a barrel of laughs.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Sundy84 wrote:It amuses me that people give out about riders cycling two abreast on the PSP on here yet we have a post warning cyclists of oil on a bridge that it is illegal for them to cross.
If you look there are tyre tracks there. However they could have been pushing the bikes across which would be perfectly legal.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Donat

Postby Donat » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Sundy84 wrote:It amuses me that people give out about riders cycling two abreast on the PSP on here yet we have a post warning cyclists of oil on a bridge that it is illegal for them to cross.
sharing is caring .....

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:25 am

From CoP's Works and Urban Development Committee:
• Creation of a Pedestrian Priority Zone – Mount Street Bridge and its approaches (Deferred WK 04/02/13) - UPDATE
The Director Planning and Development advised that the Administration has conducted further investigations and discussions with Main Roads WA regarding issues associated with separation of cycle and pedestrian priority zones, consistency in the treatment of similar interchange location, and funding arrangements. A report is to be presented to the Works and Urban Development Committee meeting scheduled to be held on 20 May 2013.

Items can move slow in local government, but in fairness, according to CoP's Bike Plan, this section is not scheduled to be addresses until 2013/14.

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Take care as you ride past the Halo building site. The path is cracking up again, in a north/south direction and the cracks are now wide enough to trap a wheel in. I shall lodge a report.
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Take care as you ride past the Halo building site. The path is cracking up again, in a north/south direction and the cracks are now wide enough to trap a wheel in. I shall lodge a report.
I reported the cracks using the online reporting form at lunchtime on Saturday. To my surprise, I received a personalised email response from a real person at 9.00pm on Saturday, indicating that Main Roads contractors would investigate that night and then remedy the issue further in daylight hours. Now that is impressive!
Thumbs up to Main Roads :D

Spoked

Postby Spoked » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Went up that section yesterday(Sunday) mid afternoon and as far as I can tell it was patched. At least the section near the kerb seemed to have some repairs to it.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:08 pm

And up for City of Perth Council tonight is:
ITEM NO: 16 - CREATION OF A PEDESTRIAN PRIORITY ZONE – MOUNT STREET BRIDGE AND ITS APPROACHES

Around a week for the minutes to come out, and then the $14,000 proposed cost which I assume it equates to couple of months of work, and we will be able to legally ride on Mount St Overpass again. Only closed for cycling since 1990.

Interesting passage on the paper:
The results of the report demonstrate that the Mount Street Bridge is a well used connection by both pedestrians and commuter cyclists, the vast majority of whom are ignoring the cycling ban and riding across the bridge. The report and other current available data also demonstrate that there is a lack of reported incidents and conflict between users at this location, indicating that cycling across the bridge is neither dangerous nor problematic.
Good to see common sense hopefully will prevail.

Not good common sense however, is the Halo on the Mount. Exterior walls have been installed against the PSP, and though they are only a couple of meters tall (and continuing to grow quickly), it blocks our line of sight. So be careful of this one, you don't know what is hiding around the corner.

Karati

Postby Karati » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:56 pm

rolandp wrote:And up for City of Perth Council tonight is:
ITEM NO: 16 - CREATION OF A PEDESTRIAN PRIORITY ZONE – MOUNT STREET BRIDGE AND ITS APPROACHES

Around a week for the minutes to come out, and then the $14,000 proposed cost which I assume it equates to couple of months of work, and we will be able to legally ride on Mount St Overpass again. Only closed for cycling since 1990.

Interesting passage on the paper:
The results of the report demonstrate that the Mount Street Bridge is a well used connection by both pedestrians and commuter cyclists, the vast majority of whom are ignoring the cycling ban and riding across the bridge. The report and other current available data also demonstrate that there is a lack of reported incidents and conflict between users at this location, indicating that cycling across the bridge is neither dangerous nor problematic.
Good to see common sense hopefully will prevail.

Not good common sense however, is the Halo on the Mount. Exterior walls have been installed against the PSP, and though they are only a couple of meters tall (and continuing to grow quickly), it blocks our line of sight. So be careful of this one, you don't know what is hiding around the corner.

Well I see this as positive for those who use this bridge to join the freeway PSP south but I have serious concerns for those of us who join the path further up at Hay street. I know I have said it before but the access to the PSP is really really dangerous. It's only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured there.

Additionally, there is no visibility up the hill now the new building walls are going up so this section between the tunnel and all the way down to past the blind section is just red zone dangerous.

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 pm

http://www.oneperth.com.au/2013/08/01/m ... cycle-ban/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Halo on the Mount developer is not playing nice again, fence has been located back on the PSP:

View from the south, showing now lack of visibility around the building:

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:40 pm

The "No Cycling" signs have now gone from the bridge and replaced with "Pedestrian Priority Zone". Hence you can legally cycle over the bridge.