MTB Newbie-too many options?

Mugglechops

Re: MTB Newbie-too many options?

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 pm

barefoot wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Don't waste your time with a 26er if going hardtail. There are some spectacular deals going at the moment ... because nobody wants them.
I'd say just the opposite.

Everybody is buying in to the big-wheel fad, so there are some spectacular deals going on 26"ers. Unless you're absolutely convinced you need a 29"er, you'd be mad not to take advantage of the bargain 26"ers that can be had.

I haven't bought in to 29"ers - I'm more than happy with my 26" MTBs. That also means that I don't have a valid opinion of whether one is better than the other, because I've never even ridden a 29"er. From basic physics it's obvious that, all else being equal, a 29er will be heavier and slower to accelerate, and arguably less manoeuvrable, but will roll over things better. Pros and cons... maybe the balance is tipped a little one way or the other. But I'm not convinced the balance is tipped enough to make 29"ers worth the extra you pay for them (compared to a bargain priced 26"er).

I have to agree, just because all the magazines have finally jumped on the 29er bandwagon does not mean that 26in wheels are crap.

4-5 years ago the magazines hated 29ers.

Myself, I ride both 29er and 26er and enjoy both.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:02 am

Pfffft

650b bikes are the next "must have" wheels size.

Nothing wrong with higher end Suntour forks. A World championship and an Olympic gold med and other events have been won on them.
Suntour make lower end crap forks that manufacturers want and none of the other manufacturers make. This tars there whole range there higher end models are good quality forks by all accounts.

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:32 am

Indeed, I'm most content with my Suntour Epicon 29s.

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:50 pm

Have you considered a Polygon?

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2013-p ... peed-29er/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:10 pm

Who is Poly and where did she go?

i73

Postby i73 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Well after a month or so pouring over all the confusing MTB shite, today I impulsively bought a...... Merida 29r Big 9 XT ed. Totally different ride to the Giant XTC 2 and I basically spent 100 clams more,1500, for a better spec. Now all I have to do is pray to the sun god.....

Thanks all for the advice, now I can ask more dumb questions like how do the wheels go around....;P

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Good choice. Where do you plan to ride?

i73

Postby i73 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:56 am

trailgumby wrote:Good choice. Where do you plan to ride?
I felt guilty spending that much dont know why just had to remind myself that this bike should last longer than sub 1k bike.

I live in Northern NSW so Whian Whian is pretty handy if you know the area, plenty of exploring to do pretty much from Coffs to Brisbane :).

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 am

Nothing wrong with the Big9 at all. You'll have all the fun in the jungle with it. Ride hard, grin often and save about $300 for a better wheelset and tubeless tyres. Like these http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... otors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:37 pm

mikedufty wrote:Or get a cheap helmet and put the other $500 toward the bike where it will make a difference.
anything but the helmet...

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:36 pm

i73 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Good choice. Where do you plan to ride?
I felt guilty spending that much dont know why just had to remind myself that this bike should last longer than sub 1k bike.

I live in Northern NSW so Whian Whian is pretty handy if you know the area, plenty of exploring to do pretty much from Coffs to Brisbane :).
I live and ride in that area. Drop into the shop at Mullum and talk to Jay. He knows every trail there is.
I also picked up a really detailed trail map of that whole area, done for hiking etc from a camping store.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 am

Ken Ho wrote:
i73 wrote:
. Drop into the shop at Mullum and talk to Jay. He knows every trail there is.
A very big +1 to that!!! He'll even join you for a ride and show you the trails.
A top bloke!