To Ding or not to Ding

gobsec

Re: To Ding or not to Ding

Postby gobsec » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:56 pm

arkle wrote:gobsec you make more sense than anyone :)

but what a shame we can't ask some pedestrians for their opinion

hey maybe we can - what would you like cyclists to do when YOU'RE walking with your family on a shared path?

arkle
that's an easy one to answer- to not ring. and i have a shared path running in the park at the back of my place, so it is a context i am very familiar with.

arkle

Postby arkle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:57 pm

gobsec wrote:

hey maybe we can - what would you like cyclists to do when YOU'RE walking with your family on a shared path?

arkle
that's an easy one to answer- to not ring. and i have a shared path running in the park at the back of my place, so it is a context i am very familiar with.
whereas i walk and run on paths every week and i want them to ding so i know that they're coming
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

gobsec

Postby gobsec » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 pm

arkle wrote:
gobsec wrote:

arkle
whereas i walk and run on paths every week and i want them to ding so i know that they're coming
excellent- a diversity of opinion, which makes the world a richer place. and both of us appear to act in a manner consistent with our considered positions, so no hypocrisy either. this is good.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:43 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:To ding or not to ding, that is the question ........ fair dinkum eight pages and still going strong. :shock: :shock:
Eight pages and no-one has yet speculated on whether, when riding behind die Fußgänger, Adolf Hitler did or did not ring his Fahrradklingel.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:12 am

Now you've done it :shock: Thread locked :twisted:

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:29 am

This appears to be the definitive answer to the dinging issue.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:26 pm

gobsec wrote:some find it hard to believe that pedestrians are not startled by a rider overtaking them without ringing. my experience shows that in the great majority of cases i don't startle pedestrians. i put that down to a couple of inter-related factors: the speed at which i overtake them and the separation distance. there is a simple rule here: the closer i need to pass by the pedestrian the slower i will go; by corollary the greater the separation distance the faster i can travel.
^^^ this

I got to experince my shared path from the POV of a ped yesterday because I got my first ever commuting flat and had to walk home. The cyclists on that path don't ding but they do ride at an appropriate speed for their seperation distance. I didn't find being passed by cyclists disconcerting at all.

As a cyclist on the same shared path, I have been watching the reaction of peds as I ride past since contributing to this thread and have found that they don't react... which indicates to me that my speed/separation distance are appropriate in the circumstances.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:29 pm

gobsec wrote:

arkle
Not ring but I would like cyclists to pass at a reasonalbe speed relative to their separation distance. So if they are going to pass close, go a bit slower and if they are passing wide to go faster. Actually, the cyclists on my path already do that so... :mrgreen:

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:43 pm

I ding. Done my duty of care, minimised contributory negligence. It will be on the vid.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:51 pm

This one is a pretty cool bell. Pull the lever and ring to your heart's content :P

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:58 am

Howzat wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:To ding or not to ding, that is the question ........ fair dinkum eight pages and still going strong. :shock: :shock:
Eight pages and no-one has yet speculated on whether, when riding behind die Fußgänger, Adolf Hitler did or did not ring his Fahrradklingel.
Is it me, or is Godwin's Law occuring much more frequently around here these days?

Bushnbitumen

Postby Bushnbitumen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 am

I do 50% of my riding on shared paths and to ding out weighs not to ding 100/1, I'm also a ped. and to hear a ding is better than having last nights dinner scared out of you when an unexpected cyclists flys by. Ding Ding.

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:28 am

I've been avoiding this thread, as I knew it would lead me to rant about the uselessness of bells (from my experience), but yesterday, I had a very different experience. I've brought the velo over to Adelaide to visit my brother for easter, and we rode along about 30km of shared path. Now, when I ride the lake shared path in Ballarat, my bell is utterly useless. Either it goes unheard due to iPods, or is ignored due to arrogance. Yesterday, every single ped, or group of peds heard us, and either stepped off the path entirely to watch the "weird pedal car thingy", or acknowledged us and held a line on the left.

So it seems the reactions of peds varies considerably according to location.

Dent.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:54 am

Sounds like you'd do much better training miles by riding the perfectly good bike lane that runs all the way around the lake (I believe). Why anyone would put up with that sort of dawdling pedestrian traffic I do not know :? :|

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 am

Well, none of my riding is training, as such, and to be honest, I've not been around the lake share path for a while, but when I do now, it's usually with my boy. At first it was because I was riding a 1mt wide trike and wasn't confident on the road. I'm on road more than paths these days, although there are also a few places in Ballarat where I dawdle along the footpath at walking pace or slower, due to unsafe road conditions (cars pulling out of parks with bad sight-lines, traffic more interested in finding a park than watching the road etc...). In these instances, I never ding, I wait. It's the footpath, after all, and I shouldn't be there.

Dent.

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:17 am

Pushy wrote:I ding. Done my duty of care, minimised contributory negligence. It will be on the vid.
Most sensible post so far.

i have found that Dings, with decent notice and slowing, work almost always. No ding and its a crap shoot.

fujifan

Postby fujifan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:16 pm

Leave the ding dinging to miss daisy who expects pedestrians to get out of their way. All ped's hate cyclists dinging because of this. Avoid the shared paths is my moto due to many of the issues mentioned. I'd rather annoy motorists. :lol: :twisted:

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:18 am

fujifan wrote:... All ped's hate cyclists dinging because of this. Avoid the shared paths is my moto due to many of the issues mentioned. I'd rather annoy motorists. :lol: :twisted:
That's rubbish. The majority of the peds who hear me using my bike's bell thank me for it, verbally, or with a hand wave. Perhaps the problem you have with peds is due to your attitude (evidenced in your last sentence)?

sunho

Postby sunho » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 am

Agree with VRE. Personally as a pedestrian I get a bit of shock when I'm just walking or running or jogging and a cyclist zooms past me on a footpath. I would prefer a ding or a "on your right" rather than nothing.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 pm

landscapecadmonkey wrote:
Pushy wrote:I ding. Done my duty of care, minimised contributory negligence. It will be on the vid.

i have found that Dings, with decent notice and slowing, work almost always. No ding and its a crap shoot.
I had the opposite experience this morning. There were two guys walking on a shared path in the same direction, one on the far left and and one on the far right (of course :roll: ). Anyway, the guy on a bike in front of my decided it would be a good idea to ding them. So the guy on the left stopped, turned right and stepped in front of the cyclist. I could see what was going to happen, so I slowed down. Since both of them were walking at a steady pace, I would have simply slowed down and cycled between them. There was plenty of room and no reason to 'startle' the 'wildlife'. I would not attempt to 'zoom' through though. That would be asking for trouble.
<removed by request>

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Ding and loud hubs. I guess you have to assess the situation and sometimes dinging might not work say if you're riding along a busy road with trucks driving past. In that case, slow down.

I am considering putting a cow bell or something so that every bump will ring the bell... that or fit a radio, have it turned up loud so you can listen to the news or whatnot whilst riding and still have the alert that the sheep .. I mean pedestrians need.

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:02 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Ding and loud hubs. I guess you have to assess the situation and sometimes dinging might not work say if you're riding along a busy road with trucks driving past. In that case, slow down.

I am considering putting a cow bell or something so that every bump will ring the bell... that or fit a radio, have it turned up loud so you can listen to the news or whatnot whilst riding and still have the alert that the sheep .. I mean pedestrians need.
Are you seriously considering putting something on your bike that will make it continually noisy? One of the most appealing things about bikes (to me) is how quiet they are. I use bells when they're necessary, but try to keep their use to a minimum.

arkle

Postby arkle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:25 pm

VRE wrote:
SmellyTofu wrote:Ding and loud hubs. I guess you have to assess the situation and sometimes dinging might not work say if you're riding along a busy road with trucks driving past. In that case, slow down.

Are you seriously considering putting something on your bike that will make it continually noisy? One of the most appealing things about bikes (to me) is how quiet they are. I use bells when they're necessary, but try to keep their use to a minimum.
What you need to do is cut a long flap out of a plastic yoghurt carton and fix it to the frame of your bike so that the flap sticks into the back wheel and hits the spokes and goes, "thpthpthpthpthpthpthpthpthpthpthpthpthpthpthpthpthp" as you ride along.

arkle

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:23 pm

VRE wrote:

Ringing on constantly is legally dubious too. I myself think's an issue that's unlikely to come up. But we keep getting told we are legally required to have a bell. I feel I must point out, for balance, that there's also a legal requirement to only ring it when necessary.

This is so in Queensland anyway. Usual disclaimers.

arkle

Postby arkle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:12 am

casual_cyclist wrote:
landscapecadmonkey wrote:

I had the opposite experience this morning. There were two guys walking on a shared path in the same direction, one on the far left and and one on the far right (of course :roll: ). Anyway, the guy on a bike in front of my decided it would be a good idea to ding them. So the guy on the left stopped, turned right and stepped in front of the cyclist.
That was not decent notice.

arkle