Commuter Cup Racing

Summernight

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:03 pm

He was acting bit strange, so I passed him:

At 28 seconds you can see he looked around - I'm not THAT scary looking. He also looked around when he did his weird wide right movement(see at 19 seconds). So I've now scalped a Melbourne BikeShare bike. Whee!!!

And FYI for the people who would like to pick on things about people's riding. At the end of the clip - I was well aware about the next cyclist coming, it is a very clear intersection with no obstructions, I had slowed down (check the brake lever on the right), there were no cars and it all slotted in nicely and I gave way as I'm supposed to.

And yesterday:

Didn't think I'd do all three, but it just turned out that way.
I love how the GoPro makes it look like you're doing faster than you really are. Very handy for CCR video. :P
P.S. Yes, I know I should have claimed the lane better when I was overtaking.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Okay, I'll Play!

Disclaimer: I am not in, or any where near the same league as Kona (although I do harbour certain aspirations along those lines) and therefore these vids where I lucked past some other cyclists are not about any prowess (or otherwise) I claim to possess - these are for entertainment purposes only!

So first we have a compilation that I dragged off the EGO when it was new, and a was still novelty to do so. These days, I only review the footage if there has been some form of irritation on the trip (or a truly remarkable CCR win).

Next is a chap who I describe as my nemesis - a regular on the way home and really mashes his bike along. Tried to pull a shifty one arvo:

And finally, The Long Chase - 12 minutes of commuting trimmed down to a bit over two minutes. Featuring old mate from the above video

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Summernight wrote:He was acting bit strange, so I passed him:

At 28 seconds you can see he looked around - I'm not THAT scary looking. He also looked around when he did his weird wide right movement(see at 19 seconds). So I've now scalped a Melbourne BikeShare bike. Whee!!!
Oh, yes you are. Girls on bikes are always scary. Especially when they're about to pass you. ;)

"OMGosh, It's a GIRL! :shock: And she's FASTER than I am! :shock: :shock: "The poor guy's ego will never recover.

You therefore score triple bonus CCR points. :D

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:20 pm

trailgumby wrote:Oh, yes you are. Girls on bikes are always scary. Especially when they're about to pass you. ;)
+1. Girl passing me MUST NOT HAPPEN! :wink: Although it's bound to happen one day. :( :oops:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:28 pm

trailgumby wrote:Oh, yes you are. Girls on bikes are always scary. Especially when they're about to pass you. ;)

"OMGosh, It's a GIRL! :shock: And she's FASTER than I am! :shock: :shock: "The poor guy's ego will never recover.

You therefore score triple bonus CCR points. :D
Triple points? Yay!!! But I thought I lost all CCR points because he's on the clunker bikeshare bikes which I have been told are really, really clunky and heavy with only three gears. So it's not really his fault a girl (in a skirt, mind you) passed him. :wink:
Nobody wrote:
+1. Girl passing me MUST NOT HAPPEN! :wink: Although it's bound to happen one day. :( :oops:
I must say it is quite fun, although I'm not meaning to pass - I'm just going my own pace and they're in the way. And don't imagine I'm passing all people - many pass me too. Especially up the hills. :lol:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Bike 1, Machine 0

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:22 pm

I'll pay that. :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Not nice Mike, he was obviously on a recovery dig :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:44 pm

Summernight wrote:Triple points? Yay!!! But I thought I lost all CCR points because he's on the clunker bikeshare bikes which I have been told are really, really clunky and heavy with only three gears. So it's not really his fault a girl (in a skirt, mind you) passed him. :wink:
In a skirt?! Even better :lol: Quadruple points, Klunker doesn't matter, it was on the flat. Sucks to be him :D

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:08 am

trailgumby wrote:
Summernight wrote:Triple points? Yay!!! But I thought I lost all CCR points because he's on the clunker bikeshare bikes which I have been told are really, really clunky and heavy with only three gears. So it's not really his fault a girl (in a skirt, mind you) passed him. :wink:
In a skirt?! Even better :lol: Quadruple points, Klunker doesn't matter, it was on the flat. Sucks to be him :D
It was a slight uphill... For two thirds of the street anyway. :lol:

This from the morning of the 12th:

I counted 8. :P The lights had just changed so a few may have been stuck behind others and not wanting to overtake.

For some reason this one section of the road absolutely loves me and I can fly... And all the other cyclists don't seem to exercise correct lane control and squeeze themselves too far left in the turn and then into the dooring zone. Then when they get to the next set of lights they move into the left turning lane and then have to re-enter the left lane with cars accelerating past. Not much fun. Since I started being a bit more assertive about it and claiming the left lane from the start of the intersection I haven't had many problems with cars and no honks (and plenty of CCR scalps. 8) ).

(And I will completely ignore the fact that there is a hill about 200m ahead that I hate and cannot do and will usually have a couple of people pass me who I had passed on the flat/slight uphill section. Not always, but sometimes :mrgreen: )

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:18 am

Summernight wrote:I counted 8. :P
you're on a roadie. CCR points can only be obtained by passing other roadies/faster bikes.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:24 am

KonaCommuter's videos disagree, I believe. And we had this discussion with the bikeshare bike above. :P

My bicycle is an aluminium commuter bike with Maxxis Re-fuse tyres and weighs in at about 11kg, not to mention my 6-10kg backpack (which contains my handbag and the kitchen sink, don't ask. :P ). Can I still not claim the scalps? :lol:

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:00 pm

trailgumby wrote: In a skirt?! Even better :lol: Quadruple points, Klunker doesn't matter, it was on the flat. Sucks to be him :D
Orright that's it, I'm buying some cycling skirts now.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:18 pm

trailgumby wrote:In a skirt?! Even better :lol: Quadruple points, Klunker doesn't matter, it was on the flat. Sucks to be him :D
Lizzy wrote:Orright that's it, I'm buying some cycling skirts now.
Me 3, anything to improve my CCR standing :D
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:25 pm

find_bruce wrote:
trailgumby wrote:In a skirt?! Even better :lol: Quadruple points, Klunker doesn't matter, it was on the flat. Sucks to be him :D
Lizzy wrote:Orright that's it, I'm buying some cycling skirts now.
Me 3, anything to improve my CCR standing :D
I'd embrace anyone who rode in a skirt. Male or female. No discrimination here. Kilts also accepted. :lol:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:56 pm

I've got a kilt! I've never thought to wear it on a bike though. Might look good if i strap my bagpipes to my back.... cycling octopus on the loose....
:D

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:18 pm

cp123 wrote:I've got a kilt! I've never thought to wear it on a bike though. Might look good if i strap my bagpipes to my back.... cycling octopus on the loose....
Well, you'd fit right in in Melbourne - there was a man on a CBD street corner a while back playing a hand-made set of bagpipes made from a 'goon bag'. That was an interesting sound. :P

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:38 pm

cp123 wrote:I've got a kilt! I've never thought to wear it on a bike though. Might look good if i strap my bagpipes to my back.... cycling octopus on the loose....
Just stay away from summernight and you'll be fine

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Xplora wrote:
Just stay away from summernight and you'll be fine
Aww. Come on. I'm not fast. Seriously. :(
Or are you talking about being caught on my handlebar-mounted GoPro with the kilt and bagpipes? Because if it's the second option I'm not promising anything about not posting the resulting video for the world to see. If you could just slow down a bit and let me CCR scalp you that would be even better. :twisted:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:47 pm

This took 20 minutes to extract my revenge :)

Andrew

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Aushiker wrote:This took 20 minutes to extract my revenge :)
Haha. You sure it is the same guy? :lol: Great video editing, BTW.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:21 pm

Summernight wrote:
Aushiker wrote:This took 20 minutes to extract my revenge :)
Haha. You sure it is the same guy? :lol: Great video editing, BTW.
Oh yeah ... same guy for sure :). He is actually a friendly bloke ... says hi when he passes :)

Mind you two girls passed me, a kid and guy on FS MTB! I did pass the second girl up the road ... she died at the lights ... instead of going for the green and getting across before they changed, she slowed right down! Really odd behaviour.

Andrew

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:16 pm

To the rider on the Anzac Bridge at 8:45 am this morning, on the shiny new Giant Defy, complete with try hard bars, one piece suit and compression socks :

(1) have you considered buying an aero helment to complete your "look"

(2) You were passed by a short, fat, old & slow bloke on a flat bar commuter complete with internal gear hub. Your scalp, it is now mine :twisted:

(3) I am all in favour of you being out there & competing, I just hope that you can swim & run better than you ride

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Maybe he had just completed 120kms.
It's only a race if you all know you are in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:27 pm

You are right, he was probably just on a recovery ride :roll: