Chewing gum clean up

snark

Chewing gum clean up

Postby snark » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:44 pm

What a mess...

For the second time this year, I've somehow managed to find some chewing gum and then spread it from exit hole to breakfast hole. This time around, it seems to be through the chain and cassette, as well as dribbled through the spokes and around the hubs of both wheels. I found a chewy smudge on the front and back tyres. I'm guessing I've somehow kicked it up into the drivetrain.

What's the best way of cleaning this up? I've got one of those blue plastic chain cleaner do-hickeys. I suspect I should run a couple of washes through there until I can find no trace on the chain, and then pull the cassette off and clean each cog individually? Any other suggestions or hints before I dive in to clean up this mess?

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

Baalzamon

Re: Chewing gum clean up

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Oh yuck
Get yourself some citrus degreaser. Do not put undiluted into the the chain cleaner! It will damage it.
I suggest remove chain, remove cassette and soak in citrus degreaser. Do the same for your chain rings. It will remove the chewing gum no problem and give you a nice sparkly chain again :) Regrease when it goes back on the bike.
For the spokes and hubs, put some citrus degreaser onto a rag and rub up and down each spoke until the chewing gum is gone. Repeat for the hubs but take care to not get any citrus degreaser into the hubs. Hence dip rag in or spray onto rag, but don't spray onto the bike.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

snark

Postby snark » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for the hints. I do have some citrus degreaser around, so I'll give that a workout...
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

snark

Postby snark » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks Baalzamon, worked like a treat. The drivetrain was positively glistening when I was done.

And then I went for a ride in the rain :cry: . At least that was a quick easy cleanup...

Cheers,
Simon.