as a bloke I'm appalled

Apple

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Apple » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Venus62 wrote:
arkle wrote:Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

arkle
You are possibly setting your standards a little high. :shock:
LOL, yes, well it looks like you don't need any help from me, you are doing just fine Arkle :mrgreen:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:59 pm

This thread has deviated just a touch from when i last looked in (ie the first post) :lol: .

I've got to say damhooligan, in my case i haven't been able to follow your advice, met a girl, tick! Make her like cycling, nope! Even a beautiful brand new (i will make the point that NONE of my bikes were ever brand new in my hands!) hybrid didn't convince her.

Funnily enough though, i asked her if i could sell said hybrid as she doesn't ride it and we could use the considerable sum of money for our upcoming nuptials. She was utterly horrified. "But you can't sell it, it's MY bike! It's beautiful, i won't let you sell it" she said, "but you never ride it" i exclaimed in confusion, to which the second and final response from She Who Must Be Obeyed was "but it's my bike!"

Women! :roll:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Apple wrote:
Venus62 wrote:
arkle wrote:Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

arkle
You are possibly setting your standards a little high. :shock:
LOL, yes, well it looks like you don't need any help from me, you are doing just fine Arkle :mrgreen:
To be honest I'm looking for a relationship with something more than a drawing.

Last four rides - didn't see a single woman.

Typical.
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 pm

arkle wrote:To be honest I'm looking for a relationship with something more than a drawing.

Typical.
Ok Arkle, ditch the bike
this is for you
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:03 pm

Apple wrote:
arkle wrote:To be honest I'm looking for a relationship with something more than a drawing.

Typical.
Ok Arkle, ditch the bike
this is for you
Hahahaha ha haha!!!

where do i sign up?

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Arkle
Google the Holstee Manifesto.

If you are looking for the love of your life, stop. They will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 am

Apple wrote:Ok Arkle, ditch the bike
this is for you
Loved it!

Find a captive audience who are crying out for men. Perfect!

Another such area was/is horse-riding (at anything lower than elite level in whichever discipline). I distinctly remember attending my monthly Pony Club rallies (they really should call it something else instead of Pony Club as that was a turn-off for guys as well) and there were only a handful of boys - most of whom left when they got into their teen years because their footy mates ribbed them for it. Girls like horses (well, most do)... and a guy who knows how to handle a horse = In demand! 8)

I never understood why the footy mates didn't understand this. Maybe they were scared of the horses. :wink:

thejester

Postby thejester » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Arkle, work one day per week in a bike shop.
Gorgeous women of all ages who are either into cycling or wanting to take it up go to them.
Don't hit on them in the shop though, very unprofessional.
But you get their name, where about they ride or want to, generally chat away and should you bump into them out and about you have an instant common point.
I see people I sell bikes to all the time.
plus you get cheap gear and some spare cash.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:01 pm

thejester wrote: But you get their name, where about they ride or want to.
And their phone number and credit card details! :smile:

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Summernight wrote:I never understood why the footy mates didn't understand this. Maybe they were scared of the horses. :wink:
Well, having been there it's quite understandable - horses are as much (or more, if that's possible) trouble than women. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best stick to the dance schools...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

newie

Postby newie » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:13 am

thejester wrote:Arkle, work one day per week in a bike shop.
Gorgeous women of all ages who are either into cycling or wanting to take it up go to them.
Don't hit on them in the shop though, very unprofessional.
It might be unprofessional, but I'd be delighted if one of the bike shop boys would hit on me! Guys that work in bike shops seem to be quite blokey/manly, but with nice manners and nice legs - a potent combination. That reminds me, I need to get some new tubes.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:34 am

You hussy you. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:40 pm

The most recent bike shop I went into (which had actually been converted from a dedicated bike store to a sports store with a mini bike shop attached) had a bike store staff member who was aged 15 or 16. Nothing to get excited about as he was therefore under-age for me.

Not to mention myself being above-average height which does complicate things.

Where do I find these attractive bike shop men who flirt with customers? Maybe Arkle should join a bike store and up the attractiveness factor. That might stop the bricks and mortar downturn in bike retail and create a resurgence in women riding bicycles. Win-win for both sides, including Arkle. :wink:

Otherwise I'll go back to mooning over attractive actors on my favourite TV shows. And my partner, of course. :P

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Summernight wrote:Where do I find these attractive bike shop men who flirt with customers? Maybe Arkle should join a bike store and up the attractiveness factor. That might stop the bricks and mortar downturn in bike retail and create a resurgence in women riding bicycles. Win-win for both sides, including Arkle. :wink:
Ha ha! Jeeez calm down! :) I'm not complaining but what are you basing this flattering attractiveness rating on?

Only blokes on last night's ride... again. It's a shame there aren't more mixed groups around.

arkle

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:31 pm

arkle wrote:
Summernight wrote:Where do I find these attractive bike shop men who flirt with customers? Maybe Arkle should join a bike store and up the attractiveness factor. That might stop the bricks and mortar downturn in bike retail and create a resurgence in women riding bicycles. Win-win for both sides, including Arkle. :wink:
Ha ha! Jeeez calm down! :) I'm not complaining but what are you basing this flattering attractiveness rating on?

arkle
Very highly scientific calculations went into working out your attractiveness factor. eg. e=mc^Arkle, F=m x Arkle. :lol:

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:56 pm

Best thread derailment ever.

Dent.

newie

Postby newie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:22 am

Some of the boys in the bike shop are a bit young for me too. I am sure they would be horrified at thought of me viewing them in any way other than their professional capacity. There is a new mechanic though, a bit older.....

Arkle - nice manners and nice legs is all it takes to attract a lady cyclist. You seem to have the former, and as a regular cyclist you should also have the latter. I don't think you need to be shy about starting a conversation with a random woman on a bike. There is always common ground as a starting point.

But you have to actually meet them first, which seems to be your difficulty.
How old are you? Perhaps some of the SA based forumites can let you know what routes and cafes would be best place to come across women of the right age. C'mon guys, we need to help this sweet young man out here.

But I can see how it must be hard. I would love to meet a nice cycling man, but even though the odds are in my favour, it hasn't happened. :(

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:17 am

I'm trying to get my partner interested in cycling (he already watches the tours on TV so that's a start) - I've managed to get my mother to buy a bike and say she'd like to go riding with me around the local shared paths (this is after I got her to do a mini triathlon - where she won her age group with zero training, grrrr). Now for the next conquest - the Partner. :twisted:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Any way you can sneak cycling into his other interests Summer? Saturday morning cafe and newspapers a thing for you? Ride to a new place...

And so on, you know him.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Any way you can sneak cycling into his other interests Summer? Saturday morning cafe and newspapers a thing for you? Ride to a new place...

And so on, you know him.

Shaun
I'm sure I might be able to do something about it. It just has to be a slow conquest so he doesn't know what hit him. First step being getting him a bike. :P

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:32 pm

The male psyche loves gadgets and stat comparisons, Summer ... you can tap into that! :-)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:43 pm

clackers wrote:The male psyche loves gadgets and stat comparisons, Summer ... you can tap into that! :-)
Already onto that :wink: . He saw my heart rate monitor on me (for my cycling computer) and asked what it was so I gave him a try. He then tried to manipulate his heart rate by breathing slower. :lol:

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:59 pm

The hook's in, reel him in nice and slow!

You might even get him onto HRT intervals on your trainer - a mental exercise as well as physical.

They bore me witless, but other personality types may be rivetted by them. :smile:

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:22 am

arkle wrote:

Only blokes on last night's ride... again. It's a shame there aren't more mixed groups around.

arkle
as the person who started this thread, I would like to offer you some advice: dancing classes. Marvellous. Blokes wil be outnumbered 7:2 (he says, plucking numbers out of the air), you get to hold the ladies, and after the lesson everyone will go to the pub for drinks, where your admission that you're there because you're uncoordinated will win you praise and admiration because the ladies recognize that you're trying to do something about it.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:51 am

cooperplace wrote:as the person who started this thread, I would like to offer you some advice: dancing classes. Marvellous. Blokes wil be outnumbered 7:2 (he says, plucking numbers out of the air), you get to hold the ladies, and after the lesson everyone will go to the pub for drinks, where your admission that you're there because you're uncoordinated will win you praise and admiration because the ladies recognize that you're trying to do something about it.
I would agree with this. I didn't do dancing classes at school (thought they were silly or something suitably stupid like that) and my sister did. She met lots of guys from the affiliated school (we were girls only) and I didn't. I always regret not doing those dancing classes. Well, not so much any more, but the thought is still there.