Dent in top of head tube

ray

Dent in top of head tube

Postby ray » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:36 am

Hi,

I was looking to build a cheap drop bar commuting road bike to replace my flat bar commuter which is too big to convert. I ordered a AL frame from overseas last week and picked it up yesterday from the post office. Upon closer inspection last night I noticed that the top of the head tube wasn't quite round. There is a slight dent at the top. I have attache images below. Is this fixable? or something that I should be concerned about if fixed? I was looking to take it to the LBS to get a headset installed, cut steerer tube, etc on the weekend but was hoping you guys could offer some advice 1st.

Thanks.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Dent in top of head tube

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Ow, not good.

Looks like the frame is meant for an integrated headset, not sure if the cartridges would be able to fit in there.

Have you considered a claim against the delivery people? I somehow doubt the frame left the seller that way...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Damaged in shipping, just how well was that headset area protected when you got it?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Yep, time to contact the seller/shipping agent. You wont get a cartridge bearing in there.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:25 pm

And yet the paint wasn't cracked. I wonder how that was achieved.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ray

Postby ray » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi,

I had emailed the retailer (c r c) as well last night but wanted to seek independent advice as well so thanks guys for your feedback. The technical department has responded having looked at the photos and mentioned that in this condition it is unusable. c r c have offered to collect the frame and issue a refund or exchange. So kudos to them for their quick response and making things right. I will try again with an exchange.
Baalzamon wrote:Damaged in shipping, just how well was that headset area protected when you got it?
The headset area had about a 7mm foam sheet folded and wrapped around the head tube and other parts of the bike like chainstay, forks,etc. The box didn't seem to be damaged. The frame itself was in bubble wrap and a large sheet of thick cardboard to stop the frame from moving around in the box. So i was thinking it might have been dropped/knocked prior but I think you guys are correct that most common cause would be rough shipping.
twizzle wrote:And yet the paint wasn't cracked. I wonder how that was achieved.
There was a very faint paint crack barely noticeable. Talking to a friend he mentioned that it isn't an area of great stress usually the bottom of the head tube. You could bend it back but unlike steel it would lose integrity/strength if bended back and forth a few times plus the level of precision to make the bearing run smoothly might be a problem still (campag hidden headset). So I rather play it safe than sorry and relieved that it will be quickly resolved. Was getting excited about replacing the flat bar with a more racy road bike geometry which still accepted mudguards, a rack and panniers but happy to wait for my own safety.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:44 am

Ah

Well I had something similar happen to my Thorn Raven Nomad. The top headset cup was bent in exactly like yours was rendering it useless. I emailed the vendor sjscycles and they didn't have that headset in stock anymore and I had to pay to upgrade it :( But at least mine was a removable cup and it was clearly damaged prior to shipping as it had a heap of packing in it and around that area.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810