Massage Styles for cyclist - recommendations

seddo

Massage Styles for cyclist - recommendations

Postby seddo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Which style of massage - thai,remedial,swedish, deep tissue etc would people recommend for a cyclist in his late 40s who cycles about 150kms a week. I live southside but dont mind travelling or paying a reasonable fee if it helps with my recovery.

reefer

Re: Massage Styles for cyclist - recommendations

Postby reefer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Why a massage?

Do you carry out a post exercise stretching regime?

I am building up my km’s per week and am just hitting 200kms/week. I was getting quite sore and having muscle spasms but after starting to properly stretch post ride, almost all of my problems have subsided. My stretching takes about 10 minutes post ride. It actually takes more perseverance to stretch properly than do the ride now. :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:29 pm

I've used deep tissue on a couple of occasions. Has worked well, felt great and better recovered for next ride and the usual knots and grabby bits of muscle were noticeable by their absence. Stretching while important helps me only a little with these. Would like to do it more often but the $ add up.

The one you want to avoid is the one with the "happy ending" - look what's happened to Craig Thompson.

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:56 pm

It's probably worth seeing a sports physio* and get them to recommend some techniques for self massage (foam roller, spiky ball, and other implements of torture) and stretching, otherwise it could end up costing a fortune! If you don't mind spending the money though, I guess the sports physio is the place to go, I wouldn't bother with any of the other types. I don't go for massages myself, I can make myself cry at home in private like a real man.

*full disclosure: my partner is a sports physio
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

skull

Postby skull » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:54 pm

nescius wrote:It's probably worth seeing a sports physio
I hear Clinic 88 has a good rap.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Lately I've been getting Thai massage. They beat you to a pulp, stab your back and legs with their super strong sharp elbows then stretch you out. Love it to bits. Today she literally walked all over me.

New shop in Sydney doing $45 for 1 hour as opening special, they were busy today so went to a $49 for 1 hour shop one block away.

JM

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:07 pm

After destroying my body (utterly) at the Mont 24 on the weekend, I saw a remedial massage guy at the shops in Ainslie. He was a miracle worker. An hour later my body felt light and flexible. I was in a bad way when I went in. 6 laps will do that. I ended up seeing the Clinic 88 guys on course after my 5th lap as I was not able to continue. They were good, but the time was too short. Deep tissue remedial really worked for me. Both massage guys recommended stretching post ride as being more important than pre, and both suggested specific stretches based on pain and physical symptoms I was displaying. Good stuff.