Bassendean train station

Sprocket

Bassendean train station

Postby Sprocket » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Anyone else irritated by the cars that are using the PSP at Bassendean train station to get to the vacant land for parking? The numbers seem to be increasing over the last couple of weeks. Am I just being grumpy?

Killswitch

Re: Bassendean train station

Postby Killswitch » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Yes. Almost went bonnet surfing on the Black WRX the other morning.

I ride down the street parallel to the PSP now, then jump onto the PSP just before the train crossing (Where I have also been having problems with trucks in the keep clear sections)

bomberdon

Postby bomberdon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Near miss this morning - I've sent a complaint of to the Bassendean Shire...awaiting their reply.

Jerryjan

Postby Jerryjan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:10 pm

Yes I have had a few words with a few people driving on the psp, looks like it needs fencing off
Cheers Jerry

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Idiots.

I would hate to live around that area. Cars nose to tail parked up in front of peoples houses etc.

Thanks for the heads up though. This section will be on my commute from Tuesday morning! :D

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Now I know it's not just me - I've contacted both the Bassedean Town Council and Transperth. I'll let you know what feedback I get.
Killswitch wrote:Where I have also been having problems with trucks in the keep clear sections

Don't get me started on the Keep Clears - both Collier and the one near Tonkin. I rarely have issues with the Maylands one - is that because of better traffic light set-up or because the drivers are used to the Maylands one? I would have thought by now the regular commuters would have got the hang of the new Keep Clears. So must be design. I would have liked to have seen the Keep Clear on the northern side of track at Collier and the bike/ped track crossing on the other side. I think this would have worked a lot better.

knightsy

Postby knightsy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:56 pm

The crossing near Tonkin actually doesn't have room for a normal length truck to pull up at the lights without blocking the keep clear. Same for Collier Road pretty much. Only one car can fit in the space before the lights, and due to the road sloping down after crossing the train tracks, it's pretty hard to even see the yellow markings. There is the "keep clear" sign, but drivers probably think that's referring to keeping clear of the track. At least that's what my missus thought it meant...

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:16 am

The slight down slope at Collier doesn't help at all. I don't think vehicles north of the railway can even see the keep clear until they are on top of it. For this reason I've stopped getting annoyed with cars blocking it - just make my way through best I can. And we only have to stop at maximum of three blocked keep clears between Bassendean & the CBD - compare that with the number of traffic lights you'd have to deal with in a car! Better to just relax about the cars blocking it. I'm trying to anyway!

.....Still wish they'd taken the PSP north of the railway at Collier - then the keep clear would be on flat and before the boom gate.

Donat

Postby Donat » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:57 am

Karati wrote:Idiots.

I would hate to live around that area. Cars nose to tail parked up in front of peoples houses etc.

Thanks for the heads up though. This section will be on my commute from Tuesday morning! :D

sure looks like Bassendean all over ..... this is one council that would benefit from amalgamation ....

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:07 pm

Sprocket wrote:Now I know it's not just me - I've contacted both the Bassedean Town Council and Transperth. I'll let you know what feedback I get.
Killswitch wrote:Where I have also been having problems with trucks in the keep clear sections

Don't get me started on the Keep Clears - both Collier and the one near Tonkin. I rarely have issues with the Maylands one - is that because of better traffic light set-up or because the drivers are used to the Maylands one? I would have thought by now the regular commuters would have got the hang of the new Keep Clears. So must be design. I would have liked to have seen the Keep Clear on the northern side of track at Collier and the bike/ped track crossing on the other side. I think this would have worked a lot better.
I never have problems at Maylands. I used to commute from north of there and found drivers round the Inglewood/Bedford area always friendly. Lockridge to Bassendean, not so much. Might migrate down to the Collier crossing come peak hour.

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 pm

UPDATE - well none really.... And in the meantime another car pulled out in front of 4 riders this morning.... Think I'll be following Killswitch's lead and keeping to the road til something is done about this.

Zero response from Bassendean council and Transperth apart from a generic "we have received your feedback" email from Transperth.

Have just lodged a form with Main Roads - recommended to me by the nice lady at the Department of Transport's cycling division. I'll let you know what happens with this one.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:30 pm

We have contacted Jim Krynen at the PTA - he might benefit to have more voices - phone him up!
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks Heinrich - I'll give him a call tomorrow.

bomberdon

Postby bomberdon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Sprocket wrote:Zero response from Bassendean council and Transperth apart from a generic "we have received your feedback" email from Transperth.
Same here....zilch from ToB

Think I'll give the local MP a call tomorrow

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:58 am

bomberdon wrote:
Sprocket wrote:Zero response from Bassendean council and Transperth apart from a generic "we have received your feedback" email from Transperth.
Same here....zilch from ToB

Think I'll give the local MP a call tomorrow
Try Dave Kelly, because the current local member will not be standing. Bassendean has a 10% advantage for Labor (Dave Kelly)
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:55 am

Overnight email from Main Roads to say matter has been referred to their Pedestrian & Cycling Division for investigation. That's certainly an improvement on Bassendean Council!

Donat

Postby Donat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Sprocket wrote:Overnight email from Main Roads to say matter has been referred to their Pedestrian & Cycling Division for investigation. That's certainly an improvement on Bassendean Council!
Bassendean council is pretty moribund.....

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:53 pm

CycleSnail wrote:We have contacted Jim Krynen at the PTA
Thanks to Heinrich & Jim it looks like there will be some action on this. Short term fix will be to put some bollards on the side access path to prevent cars coming down it. Longer term plan is to extend the car park to the hut.

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:17 am

Great news! Cheers for the effort guys.

bomberdon

Postby bomberdon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:07 pm

had a call from Dave Kelly's office (Labor member for Basso). They intend to follow up with PTA (Jim Krynen) to make sure this get some traction

Karati

Postby Karati » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:02 am

Looks like the phone calls have worked quickly as they have put loads of gravel down on the scrub part to act as an overflow car park.

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Good to hear! I've been off the bike for a couple of weeks (padded walls required soon!) so haven't been that way recently. After the email from Jim, I also received a phonecall from Main Roads and another email from Malcolm PTA - it sounds like they are taking it seriously now.

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:43 pm

They have out up temp fencing all the way along the PSP to stop cars driving on it, and as you said a gravel carpark. Though it looks half finished. It's very small.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Drivers are used to the Maylands keep clear and usually apologise if they block it by a wave of the hand.... good work giving the council feedback - it's pretty dangerous for people to be driving on the PSP.

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Killswitch wrote:They have out up temp fencing all the way along the PSP to stop cars driving on it, and as you said a gravel carpark. Though it looks half finished. It's very small.
Scrap that, they have extended and made it a lot better.