How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 am

finally dry roads and sunshine for Brisbane. temperature was perfect. felt strong. smashed out a riverloop with my gang

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:06 am

jasonc wrote:finally dry roads and sunshine for Brisbane. temperature was perfect. felt strong. smashed out a riverloop with my gang
That's true about the weather. Bright and sunny, and not too hot. No threat this morning of the sort of drizzle that annoys people but hardly shows in a rain guage or fills a rainwater tank.

As I was pumping up my front tyre before heading off, got a hole in the tube at the base of the valve. Quickly changed to a spare and headed off. That's a quick job in the comfort of your own garage with a floor pump.

Good spotting Jason re Jockey wheel!

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Uneventful, barring the headwind. Have started using a camera - finally have it set right (mounted on backpack strap) so it shows more than the tarmac rolling past - it now shows how much I shake my head at numpties.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Dan wrote:Uneventful, barring the headwind. Have started using a camera - finally have it set right (mounted on backpack strap) so it shows more than the tarmac rolling past - it now shows how much I shake my head at numpties.
Which camera are you using?

Good commute into work today - my nemesis was in attendance at the first light set - I passed her on the flat (she normally blitzes me on the hill but I have a faster flat speed) and then had to keep up the speed after stopping for another traffic light and then the big intersection traffic light before the hill. Pushed it up the hill and she didn't pass me on the hill this time. Yay! Caught all the green lights necessary to leave her behind (a couple turned yellow just as I rolled through, thank you, Mr Traffic Light)... And then got a red light sequence all the way through the CBD (No thank you, Mr Traffic Light). But that bit is downhill so no worries. :)

Had the usual car come out of a side street and fail to give way to the bicycles (keep clear section with stopped car traffic but clear bicycle lane beside keep clear section), but that is normal for that intersection so I'm not surprised.

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Summernight wrote:Which camera are you using?
Grabbed one of the Kaiser Baas yellow jobs from officeworks on special - $60 or so? Maximum 3 hour recording time I'm told, and max 32GB card capacity, but image is fine, sound is fine when the rear cap is off, and apparently it has some kind of low light infra-red tractor beam mind reader thing for low light.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:47 pm

I was a bit nervous first time back after hubby's crash on Tuesday morning but was basically a very nice run into work, cool, pleasant and no numpties! Only issue was entering one town where I was aware of a car back, a truck up ahead with its indicator on to turn across in front of me, and discovering that earlier motorists had had a collision right where I was riding - all in the same couple of seconds. I had to swerve around a car headlight that was in my riding line which put me into a mess of broken glass. I stopped a little further up (when it was safe to do so) and checked my tyres but fortunately hadn't picked up any of the glass.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Dan wrote:
Summernight wrote:Which camera are you using?
Grabbed one of the Kaiser Baas yellow jobs from officeworks on special - $60 or so? Maximum 3 hour recording time I'm told, and max 32GB card capacity, but image is fine, sound is fine when the rear cap is off, and apparently it has some kind of low light infra-red tractor beam mind reader thing for low light.
Thank you. I'll have a look out at Officeworks then. Post some footage in the Video Camera thread, if you're able, so we can compare. I'm looking for one or two cheapies (but decent too) to go with the GoPro for a more complete view. The #808s are on the list but I blew my shopping budget this month on clothes so will have to wait until next month. Whoops! :P

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:35 pm

ride was good, did an extra 10 km's took the long way! was nice! I think we'll have to have a spotted while riding thread

went past the intake stack of a truck, mobile phone, and about 5 wheel nuts :)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Adelaide:

Had a few days in Adelaide with some excellent riding conditions and a nice change. Todays run down the Thorens was a gem.

Heading down to Carakalinga (sorry about the spelling) for a few days.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:03 pm

The humidity in Sydney was a bit high on this afternoon's return run home. I ride in my workshirt and had to wring it out when i got home. Now i spend the evening rehydrating.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Rain on the way back - a nice change from stinking heat and blistering wind.
First one in the proper wet with the new tyres, so took it easy with my braking distances and cornering angle etc.
Getting boring in my old age.

Cheers

Time

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:37 pm

afternoon coot-tha commute home.
coot-tha was done at 100%. ouch

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Headed out into ominous looking grey on the heavy-weather steed, but sat down at my desk just as the rain set in, yow! Not so lucky in the arvo - headed out into a gathering thunderstorm. Felt lucky enough not to pack rain gear so I got my first proper dousing for the year.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43 pm

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why Tubeless wouldn't seal on this occasion :roll:
It also snapped my rear mudguard! Guy behind me got a fright and so did I at 40km/h!

Installed a tube, was about to set off then Pop! again.
Upon closer inspection I noticed this...

Pulled out the trusty boot patch to cover the extruding metal from piercing the tube and limped home the last 15mins.
Last edited by Crawf on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 pm

poohkies wrote:I think we'll have to have a spotted while riding thread

went past the intake stack of a truck, mobile phone, and about 5 wheel nuts :)
I have my own little personal game of bingo playing in my head on my ride to work. Regular items include - an abandoned trolley, a man in a turban sitting cross legged meditating in the park, a horse and carriage...
I have missed all my commutes so far this week due to various work events, so tomorrow will be my only ride, but my son and I are doing a proper 'ride' on Sunday so that will be exciting (it's our first group ride).

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 pm

A garbage bag full of crayfish heads?

All week.

Right in my path, stinky as a stinky thing.

Rain is welcome,

Cheers,

Tim

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:53 am

Took the MTB to work yesterday for a dirty dtour on the way home.

MTB and the route I took wasn't good for keeping up the overall kms. additional 2.5km, but at a cost of 25min. Trail I took was too steep and too much gravel so there was a lot of pushing and walking. Still, better than palying with traffic.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:42 am

low HR commute this morning. still got that blue stuff above us in Brisbane. Where are the clouds?

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:29 am

Beautiful afternoon for a ride back yesterday afternoon. Took the Main Yarra Trail up to Greensborough, then across to Bundoora and home.
I find that the gravel section between Burke and Yarra Flats park is quite tricky with the tyres at road pressure, feels as slippery as riding on ice, especially in the turns. Does anyone else commute along that stretch?
Rode into the CBD via Darebin Creek Trail again this morning. Forgot to mention that yesterday morning in the dark some nocturnal bird swooped across the path from my left - saw it out of the corner of my eyes before it struck my helmet. Startled the daylights (moonlights?) out of me. I assume this was an error of judgment on the bird's side, rather than a deliberate attack?? :shock:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 am

Yesterday - headwind. But apart from that fairly uneventful.

Today I just should have stayed in bed. Dealing with the aftereffects of the migraine I got two nights ago - woke up this morning and the head is hurting. Stupidly decided that I would still try and do my morning run (with the thinking that if it hurt too much when I was bouncing along then I'd just convert the run to a walk). Pushed through tight calves and the hurting head to do my usual distance including the hills. Was 4 minutes slower than usual.

Hopped on the bike to ride to work and in the only two block section where there is no bike lane (so I claim the left lane) got honked and then subsequently abused by an overcompensating male in a white FWD/SUV with personalised number plates for claiming the left lane. BTW - during his whole abuse tirade he slowed down to my speed (which was on a hill at that point in time so around 15-19kph) and he blocked the left lane of traffic while I had reached the separated Copenhagen lane and was no longer 'blocking his way'. Not something I want to deal with with my migraine still being in the wings. :roll:

Told him he was on video camera and that he should review the road rules. Couldn't hear any of the rubbish coming out of his mouth though.

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 am

Great morning for it in Melbourne. As I was about to power up Anderson St near the Tan Track I heard a loud ping. There went a spoke in the rear wheel. Bugger.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Got yelled at to slow down by some dunce on the shared path walking his dog without a leash. This was after I had already slowed down because his dog wandered off to the wrong side of the path and was in my way :|

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:55 pm

This isn't worth it's own thread IMHO but here's what my bike looks like from a motorcycle when I'm commuting to work at 4.30 (ish) am

2012 Oppy A4

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:35 am

havn't riddin since Thursday, Not really feeling it since I started some medicaion, lost my mojo :( but this morning ride was okies, took it easy on the inclines (darwins hills) chased a guy along the stuart Hi way bicycle path, I didn't try and pass just kept a bit of distance but kept his pace was good, something to push me! still trying to get to my 34.8 av speed on my ride in, only done it once and that was in November :( havn't been able to get back up there, adjusted my seat a little back today, not sure if im happy with it :(

Vesectomy tomorrow so will try and do a good 50km's tonight as i'll be off the bike from tomorrow arvo for a fee days or even a week

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:05 am

Friday's commute included the regular stop at my brother's place for refreshments. On-road ride for the 21km via Ivanhoe, Heidelberg West etc.
Damp roads and paths in Melbourne this morning on the the way into the CBD, had a few drops, but no serious wet stuff from above. Rather sedate ride, befitting a Monday morning :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike