Moron Motorists #3

jules21

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:52 am

twizzle wrote:- I got left-hooked for the first time ever, while travelling at 40kph on an on-road lane when there was no other traffic around. I had lights on, and was wearing a fluro jersey, there is absolutely no question as to whether or not they saw me.

It's a good thing I don't have a gun.
it's a good thing if i don't catch up with anyone who does that. would be consequences :evil:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:36 pm

must be the day for it - I was on london circuit this morning, turning left onto Edinburgh ave (Lakeside hotel corner for those that know it). Arm out to turn left, keeping up with the flow of cars that had all been stopped as i cruised on up behind them. As i'm almost about to enter the intersection little miss in her little silver buzzbox decides MGIF NOW!!!!! so as i'm angling the corner i almost have my right arm shaved. I couldn't bloody believe it. MGIF MGIF. Little Miss peels around the corner right next to me with half her car in "my lane" and the right hand half of her car in the next and almost taking the front end of my bike out. what for??? The next RED light at Marcus Clarke street a whole 50 -60 metres ahead where she pulls up and stops a whole 4 seconds ahead of me. So I'm fuming. Shaking the head, waving the arms and giving her every bloody indication of ARE YOU BLOODY STUPID????? What do i get. A little wave of acknowledgement. :evil: Okay - maybe she needed to get to work in a hurry. If she'd hit me she'd waste a hell of a lot more time talking to the coppers....

un bee lieeeevable.... she didn't achieve a blinking thing. by croikey i wish i had my cameras sorted out.... that'll be this weekend's work - to charge them up and mount them.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:16 pm

cp123 wrote:The next RED light at Marcus Clarke street a whole 50 -60 metres ahead where she pulls up and stops a whole 4 seconds ahead of me. So I'm fuming. Shaking the head, waving the arms and giving her every bloody indication of ARE YOU BLOODY STUPID????? What do i get. A little wave of acknowledgement. :evil:
^^
This is where I start bashing on her bonnet :evil:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:36 pm

il padrone wrote:
cp123 wrote:The next RED light at Marcus Clarke street a whole 50 -60 metres ahead where she pulls up and stops a whole 4 seconds ahead of me. So I'm fuming. Shaking the head, waving the arms and giving her every bloody indication of ARE YOU BLOODY STUPID????? What do i get. A little wave of acknowledgement. :evil:
^^
This is where I start bashing on her bonnet :evil:
+1 or back window, etc. Whatever is most convenient (for me)!
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

CRV

Postby CRV » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Had a chat with a motorist along Kingsford Smith Drive in Brissy this morning while travelling about 35kph westbound. He slowed down to "politely" inform me through his open passenger window, that I should be on the "bike lane" aka pavement. :shock: :shock: He didn't seem to appreciate it when I "politely" asked him to brush up on the road rules :roll: Why do some motorists think we are second grade citizens??

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:51 pm

CRV wrote:He slowed down to "politely" inform me through his open passenger window, that I should be on the "bike lane" aka pavement. :shock: :shock:
i tell them to take the bus and that i'm sick of paying taxes for public transport when people like them don't use it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:52 pm

CRV wrote:Why do some motorists think we are second grade citizens??
How long have you got? :twisted:

Cp, you have enormous patience and strong self control...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:54 pm

jules21 wrote:
CRV wrote:He slowed down to "politely" inform me through his open passenger window, that I should be on the "bike lane" aka pavement. :shock: :shock:
i tell them to take the bus and that i'm sick of paying taxes for public transport when people like them don't use it.
Sweet, yet another ripper comeback added to the verbal arsenal :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
jules21 wrote:i tell them to take the bus and that i'm sick of paying taxes for public transport when people like them don't use it.
Sweet, yet another ripper comeback added to the verbal arsenal :mrgreen:
+1 that's a good one.

Unless you actually go green and rip the lycra when you're angry, you're probably best off with a few verbal rippers prepared for emergency use.

- "If you don't know (how to drive) / (the road rules), get off the road."
- "Dangerous driving means loss of licence".

Others a bit more inspired?
Last edited by Howzat on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
CRV wrote: Cp, you have enormous patience and strong self control...

No - I just had 2 hands hauling on the brakes for the save my bloody neck and to stop myself splatting into her left back passenger window. I don't think i'd have enough control and balls to remove a hand and thump her window at the same time.... as much as i really wanted to...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:56 am

Not a bad incident or anything. Just something that gave me a smile on a otherwise dreary ride home. It seems to be the week for it as I saw a guy early in the week do a nice job of backing his towbar hard and I mean hard into the front of another car on the same stretch of road.

Andrew

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Opinion required ... should I bother asking my usually helpful local police sergeant to warn the 2 drivers (one after the other) who sat on the horn this morning because I was claiming the lane? Just to educate them I'm allowed to be there? It was only 6:40am but for some reason there was a bit more traffic than usual, not that I was going that slow at 30-50kmh (60kmh zone with a 40kmh section that all the cars ignore, except for one this morning who got tailgated for their trouble!).

Or not worth the effort/bothering the police?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Worth it imo, if you can actually get the Police to do something.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:09 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Opinion required ... should I bother asking my usually helpful local police sergeant to warn the 2 drivers (one after the other) who sat on the horn this morning because I was claiming the lane? Just to educate them I'm allowed to be there? It was only 6:40am but for some reason there was a bit more traffic than usual, not that I was going that slow at 30-50kmh (60kmh zone with a 40kmh section that all the cars ignore, except for one this morning who got tailgated for their trouble!).

Or not worth the effort/bothering the police?
Same situation for me this morning too (honked and verbally abused because I was claiming the lane doing 30 in the 50 zone), although I'm in VIC.

Do these kinds of reports even go anywhere?

It boggles my mind because we have horses and carriages trotting along this area at 15kph - they certainly don't get honked or abused from what I've seen and they're going half as fast as I am.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:36 pm

I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:32 pm

i wouldn't mind some of those spiky wheel things (ala the chariot racing scene in the Ben Hur movie). :twisted: use them to slash the tyres of anything that dared to shave me either side.

But knowing my luck i'd end up stacking somewhere and chopping myself into chop suey.... :lol: :lol:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:12 pm

Here's my 2 honks and a mildly close pass plus a brief bit of tailgating this morning...

Fastforward to 1:50 for the action.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:17 pm

I vote yes, have a chat to the police.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:30 pm

cp123 wrote:i wouldn't mind some of those spiky wheel things (ala the chariot racing scene in the Ben Hur movie). :twisted: use them to slash the tyres of anything that dared to shave me either side.

But knowing my luck i'd end up stacking somewhere and chopping myself into chop suey.... :lol: :lol:

Hiiyaaahh!!
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:33 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Here's my 2 honks and a mildly close pass plus a brief bit of tailgating this morning...

T2.... Does that mean something??

Three cars approaching you with only one person aboard. Video to report the infraction to...... cops or city hall??

:twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?

arkle

Postby arkle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Here's my 2 honks and a mildly close pass plus a brief bit of tailgating this morning...

Wow you are really flying along.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 pm

il padrone wrote: T2.... Does that mean something??

Three cars approaching you with only one person aboard. Video to report the infraction to...... cops or city hall??

:twisted:
From memory the T2 on Waterworks road is from 7-9 or 7-10. But I haven't been on it in the morning for 18 months now so I could be wrong.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:51 pm

T2 is 7-9am. Bikes allowed when t2 active regardless.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:10 pm

inthewoods - report the 4WD. the other car I reckon was just joining in.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:52 pm

arkle wrote:

Wow you are really flying along.

arkle
I second that - not bad for a flat bar.

Just to digress slightly that stretch of road (Waterworks Rd) would have to have the dubious distinction of being a woefully ill-conceived attempt by the Brisbane City Council to convert a 2-lane road into a 4-lane road on the cheap.

The net result is a textbook example of project fail.
Its really laughable.
Just to give an example it is a major bus route (no trains out that way) with a high frequency of bus services. some of the bus stops are "recessed" and some are not.
On a bicycle or in a car you pass a stopped bus "too easy" then down the road a bit there is a furious grab for the brakes when you realize that the next bus ahead of you is stopping in the lane- no recess this time !
Basically the only cure for it would be to mandate the inner lane as a 40km/hr only lane
Then it would be a lot safer for all concerned- including cyclists.

Just to add to the farcical traffic management here, for some reason they have made the inbound bridge 40km/hr only recently
And that just serves to confuse motorists (and some cyclists) coming down the hill at 60-70km/hr.
Needless to say motorists think "Say What" and quickly glance in the rear mirror to see if anything catastrophic has happened to the bridge because they drove over it 30km/hr over the posted limit...