Criterium Etiquette After a Crash?

vander

Re: Criterium Etiquette After a Crash?

Postby vander » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:51 am

ft_critical wrote:
vander wrote:Racing A grade people generally dont burn candles ....
Now, now. Mentioning A Grade doesn't make your argument more convincing Vander.
I wasnt trying to make it convincing its just that people race different in A grade, I have done plenty of lower grade races where what cerb was describing happens, but I found in A grade people know their limits a lot more and dont push that much unless they are in a breakaway so the position works a lot better.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:20 am

ratter wrote: This happened to me the other week, me and another rider had done probably 95% of the work at the front, the last lap and the back straight was a strong headwind, everyone sitting on my wheel, so I moved to the right, so did everyone else, moved back to the left, so did they, moved right again, so did they, so I just backed the pace down dropped afew gears and actually dropped my heart rate. As soon as we were out of the headwind they kicked dropped me back to about 6th wheel, thinking I was spent. My slowing down had allowed enough recovery to have a good kick and I went on to take the win
congrats on the win, but you're in the wrong grade :)

ratter

Postby ratter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:51 am

thanks and your right, I started in F, had a couple of wins right up, moved to E, struggled at first to stay with the group, but always managed to stay with the front group but had nothing left sometimes for the sprint, got to the point where I actually controlled 1 race speed, had 1 win and 2 second places, last E grade race we ended up in a 4 man break away that finished close to half a lap ahead of the rest, so now I'm a D grader, unfortunately my first race as a D grader got cancelled last week so last night was going to be my next 1st race, but I sliced my thumb open on thursday and have a few stitches in it and can not grip the bars to sprint, so hopefully next week will be my D grade debut.

Enjoying the racing, but get very nervous the few hours leading up to a race :oops:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:23 am

ratter wrote:Enjoying the racing, but get very nervous the few hours leading up to a race :oops:
i used to get nervous before basketball matches so i know the feeling, but never bike races for some reason.

cerb

Postby cerb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:34 pm

vander wrote:I dont know how long your laps are but doing 1/4 to 1/2 no chance for me you do a few hundred meters then pull off would burn way too much energy holding the pace for that long.
Almost exactly a 1km flat circuit (I race at St. Kilda) so it is usually only 250-400m.

Jules - I think I read somewhere that you race D at St. Kilda? Me too... racing tomorrow? I'm the 6'4" bloke on a cannondale, red plain jersey

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:32 pm

cerb wrote:Jules - I think I read somewhere that you race D at St. Kilda? Me too... racing tomorrow? I'm the 6'4" bloke on a cannondale, red plain jersey
Cerb, i'm currently in Mansfield, going to ride the Buller Road Race tomorrow. but i'm often down there. will say hello if i see you - i'm about your height, riding a black Azzurri.