Show us your super light road bike

rabobank89

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby rabobank89 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:11 pm

g-boaf wrote:Damn - terrible. Good that it is being replaced.

I weighed mine (stood on scales, then held the bike) and took a better photo, sans saddle bag, lights, bell and the fly that was previously resting on the saddle. 7.4kg with the 105 group set and 54cm frame, so not a fairly big one. I'm not sure I could get it down under 7.0kg. I'm thinking about doing a Di2 upgrade - I can get that at a good price. Won't necessarily make it lighter, but it appeals to the gadget freak in me. :lol:

Love those wheels ^^^ 8)

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Who said treks were bland ? That's. lovely thing !

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:Who said treks were bland ? That's. lovely thing !
I've never heard anyone call Treks bland.

If you want bland, I've built a 7.2kg Chinese carbon. It's mostly lightly used second hand parts and bits I had lying around, it rides nicely and has allowed me to beat my best times on the local climbs

Not bad for $800....(in the time honoured tradition of bike builders everywhere, I haven't included the cost of the parts I already owned)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks - and I'm changing it further. Trying a new stem next week, and possibly changing the bars. Though I'm also thinking of changing the whole groupset. Having fun tweaking and changing things.
hitchhiker wrote:
I've never heard anyone call Treks bland.

If you want bland, I've built a 7.2kg Chinese carbon. It's mostly lightly used second hand parts and bits I had lying around, it rides nicely and has allowed me to beat my best times on the local climbs

Not bad for $800....(in the time honoured tradition of bike builders everywhere, I haven't included the cost of the parts I already owned)
Very good for the money and light!

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:09 am

Mate rides a madone and next to the bianchi and mates venge, its like the ugly sister next to Cinderella ! :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:26 pm

hitchhiker wrote:Not bad for $800....(in the time honoured tradition of bike builders everywhere, I haven't included the cost of the parts I already owned)
Minimalist red highlights on a lightweight stealth fighter. 14765/10 for style sez I. :D

What are those Pro-Lites you're running?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Mulger bill wrote: What are those Pro-Lites you're running?
They're the current model Bracciano's MB....same as what I have.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
hitchhiker wrote:Not bad for $800....(in the time honoured tradition of bike builders everywhere, I haven't included the cost of the parts I already owned)
Minimalist red highlights on a lightweight stealth fighter. 14765/10 for style sez I. :D

What are those Pro-Lites you're running?
DoogleDave is right, Braccianos I purchased last year

The red spacers have attracted some mixed reviews in the local bunch. I used them because that's what I had. I think they will be staying

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:34 am

7.2Kg counts as superlight doesn't it ? This is a better photo.

Teschner Euro Pro by Jesmol71, on Flickr

Build is
Teschner Euro Pro 51cm frame
Ultegra 6700 F&R Der
FSA Team Issue Crankset (170mm)
Shim 105 Pedals
FSA SLK Seat post
WTB Rocket V SLT saddle
Pro 110mm stem
Pro 44cm Anatomic bars
Campy Ergopower shifters (Yes I run shimergo)
Shimano RS80 C24's
Conti GP4000s 23 Fr 25 Rr
Last edited by Jesmol on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 pm

it sure does...nice bike

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Nice Teschner!

My Madone is back on alloy wheels at the moment. And will be joined by a Giant TCR SL3 ISP with Di2. I'll swap my carbon wheels over to that bike.

I went on the Madone today on the alloy wheels, feels very different in the handling - but not really much slower. Just a bit slower to get up to speed.

simurs4

Postby simurs4 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Heres my Scott Foil 20, picked up a set of Zipp 606's i scored off ebay at a good price i think. never had full carbon wheels before and i'd wanted a set of 404's for awhile, but an 808 rear looks mint as on it, and they go well with the zipp bar and stem. the decals are abit scruffy so i might change them for the beyond black style as that will look pretty stealthy i reckon.
now i just need to scrounge another cassette and get some suitable pads and see how it rides, hopefully tommorow and ill get it weighed at the same time. with my old alloy mavic wheels it weighed 7.1kg so would be nice to see it under the 7kg mark.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Nice Foil!

My Giant is about 6.9kg with rear light on it and the Garmin 800 fitted to it:

Excuse the odd front wheel, my other one was off getting a small chip in the edge of it repaired. I've got it back, have yet to photograph it. It rides very well and is a lot smoother across the bumps than my Trek Madone 4.5.

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Heres my Scott Foil 20, picked up a set of Zipp 606's i scored off ebay at a good price i think. never had full carbon wheels before and i'd wanted a set of 404's for awhile, but an 808 rear looks mint as on it, and they go well with the zipp bar and stem. the decals are abit scruffy so i might change them for the beyond black style as that will look pretty stealthy i reckon.
now i just need to scrounge another cassette and get some suitable pads and see how it rides, hopefully tommorow and ill get it weighed at the same time. with my old alloy mavic wheels it weighed 7.1kg so would be nice to see it under the 7kg mark.
Very nice. i used to have a 20 but it never looked that mean.
Love the fat rear end.

It would surprise me if it was under 7kgs
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

adamr

Postby adamr » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:26 pm

g-boaf wrote:Nice Foil!

Excuse the odd front wheel, my other one was off getting a small chip in the edge of it repaired. I've got it back, have yet to photograph it. It rides very well and is a lot smoother across the bumps than my Trek Madone 4.5.
That is a sweet looking bike.

I don't understand how it can be so light, though. I can't tell if the bars are carbon (I assume so), and I don't know exactly how much those wheels weigh (but they are fairly deep, so probably not super light). Are the wheels very light (say 1300g)? Every other part on the bike looks like it would be similar to or heavier than my self-built Chinese framed bike, which comes in at about 7.1kg excluding my Garmin. I would be happy to say that my scale is over-estimating, but I have calculated the weight of all the parts and come in within 50g of my measured weight. If it just comes down to the wheels, I will be content, because it will mean that I am doing the best I can on my bike without a BIG additional cost.

I could get under 7kg on mine by changing to Conti supersonic tyres, but I prefer a little protection and GP4000s are not exactly boat anchors.

I will post a build list and photos over the weekend looking for advice.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Tend to agree...the wheels look like clinchers and i believe that puts them at 1600g....Ultegra spec adds grams too.

g-boaf I think you'd better check the scales. Very nice looking bike though.

Bike weights are a bit like fisherman's stories :wink:
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 pm

schroeds wrote: Bike weights are a bit like fisherman's stories :wink:
A lot of people use bathroom scales. Not accurate.

I've meticulously weighed and documented every component of my bike and was still out by 80grams.
That was using a kitchen scale.

Lucky the bike was 80grams lighter than what I calculated :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Scott Foil Premium

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:05 pm

g-boaf wrote:Nice Foil!

Great looking bike there mate! Can you do me a favour and tell me the length of the bolts holding the battery mount on the non drive side chain stay? i believe they'll either be 16mm or 10 mm. I have an SL 1 and am looking swap the mechanical bits to Di2.

Cheers Doggatas

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:08 pm

pawnii wrote:

I've meticulously weighed and documented every component of my bike and was still out by 80grams.

Did you remember to include the hot air on the saddle :lol:
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Hot air rises doesn't it? :twisted:
2012 Scott Foil Premium

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

pawnii wrote:

Did you weigh the cables, bar tape etc before you cut them to length?

Cheers,

Cameron

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:56 pm

yes i weighed them before i cut them then after installing i weighed the waste/left overs and took it off the total.

80 grams works out to be just over 1% of the total weight. Which is what i expect my kitchen scales are out by.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:39 pm

adamr wrote:I don't understand how it can be so light, though. I can't tell if the bars are carbon (I assume so), and I don't know exactly how much those wheels weigh (but they are fairly deep, so probably not super light). Are the wheels very light (say 1300g)? Every other part on the bike looks like it would be similar to or heavier than my self-built Chinese framed bike, which comes in at about 7.1kg excluding my Garmin. I would be happy to say that my scale is over-estimating, but I have calculated the weight of all the parts and come in within 50g of my measured weight. If it just comes down to the wheels, I will be content, because it will mean that I am doing the best I can on my bike without a BIG additional cost.

I could get under 7kg on mine by changing to Conti supersonic tyres, but I prefer a little protection and GP4000s are not exactly boat anchors.

I will post a build list and photos over the weekend looking for advice.
Adamr build list?

My chinese carbon framed light weight build came in at 6.4kg without much effort (including pedals and speed cadence sensor but not my Garmin 705), had issues with the drivetrain (ended up being the new chain did no like either cassette on my two wheelsets) and ended up stripping it to build a light weight alloy crit bike (which is almost finished - Pawnii pics of the Canyon soon I promise and that should be about 6.6kg)

No as attentive to detail as Pawnii, as I did not measure offcuts. But otherwise my build list with parts measured on kitchen scales was within 2% of my luggage scales used to measure bikes

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:17 pm

waiting waiting waiting Nick
2012 Scott Foil Premium

adamr

Sorry about the delay

Postby adamr » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Life and weather got in the way of me posting this before now.

FM066-SL size 54cm, purchased from Hongfu. Frame including hanger 879g, fork with cut steerer 372g.
Hongfu seatpost cut to 280mm 105g, plus hardware 65g.
Ultegra 6700 shifters 442g, front derailleur 89g and rear derailleur 192g. Ultegra 11-28 cassette and chain.
Rotor 3Df compact crankset with BSA bottom bracket 771g.
Ultegra 6700-C carbon pedals 259g.
Prologo C.150 saddle 154g.
Planet X cnc brakes 212g including hardware and pads.
Handlebars FS Wing Pro Compact 42cm aluminium 258g.
Deda Zero1 stem 100mm 136g.
Pro-lite Bracciano wheelset 1516g including rim tape. Pro-lite alloy skewers 116g.
Continental Supersonic tubes 110g.
Continental GP4000s 25mm 460g.
Bottle cages x2 ebay carbon 38g.

Total, including minor bits and pieces and estimate of grease etc calculated at 7071g. My luggage scales show about that, but they are not precise. That includes pedals and cages, but not lights or Garmin cadence sensor or mount.

I am as light as I can go on brakes, and nearly as light as I can go on saddle. Obviously, I could save a bit with a SRAM Red or Force group set, but I don't like double-tap, so I am willing to accept a weight penalty for that (estimate 150g). Cranksets don't get much lighter for a british threaded bottom bracket. I could easily (but expensively) save about 70g on new handlebars and stem. I know I could save 250g on some chinese 38mm carbon clinchers.

I have priced up changes to get to 6450g, but that would cost $1300. Those changes include changing to Continental Supersonic 23mm tyres, which I am not keen on (even though it would save about 160g).

If I went for ultra-light tubular wheels, I could get to about 6200g, but that is not practical for me, either.