Calling all Cadex Owners

QuangVuong

Calling all Cadex Owners

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm most likely gonna get myself a Cadex 980c to build up with a full 105 group set.

Now I wanna know, would this frame be able to take a threadless fork? Or will it have to be the older forks, and then I'd get an adaptor over to the standard headset/stem?

And are the decals painted on, or are they stickers? From this era, I'd say its painted. If so, what's the best way to go about removing them? I can sand and then re top coat, but that's gonna take time. Any chemical products that can do this job? Heard of Carbolift, but they are no longer around I think.

And lastly, anyone have any Cadex or other vintage carbon frames?i am looking at one on Gumtree, but it'll be better if there's one local, or at a better price.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

dayne

Re: Calling all Cadex Owners

Postby dayne » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:03 pm

I have a carbon alloy lugged centurion,
It has all shimano rsx.

Needs work but would let it go cheap

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Cadex would have a 1" steerer, I imagine. Shimano Australia do a PRO 1" carbon fork and 1" cartridge headset that should fit. Need to check your inner headtube dimensions match the headset cups. Priced at ~$200 and $40 respectively

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:50 pm

dayne wrote:I have a carbon alloy lugged centurion,
It has all shimano rsx.

Needs work but would let it go cheap
Hi dayne,

I might be interested in that (if it's a 54) and QuangVuong passes

Thanks

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:01 pm

It should be a 54-55cm. Only reason for me to pass is dependant on price.

Anyway, $200 for a fork is far too dear for a frame which doesn't cost anywhere near that. So I guess I'd have to use the older threaded forks at a 1" steerer with older stems.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Much cheaper Aluminium or CrMo 1" threadless forks are available. A good bike shop should be able to source something from a distributor like BicyclePartsWholesale / Incomex, or Abbotsford Cycles may still have some black lugged steel 1" threadless road forks

Or you could cut the threaded section off your existing fork and fit a BBB BHP-20 Extender which i have done on this bike and others to convert to threadless headset and stem

But then you have to find yourself a 1" threadless stem..... or use a 'top-heavy looking' 1 1/8" stem with a shim

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Waiting on Dayne's reply re his Centurion before deciding on which frame I should get. Oh how likely would there be a CF frame at the upcoming Bike Show at Tempe?

So the Cadex 980c Frame Im looking at is this

Could scratches near the BB

And comes with a Rolls saddle.

The corrosion in the 3rd pic. Will that be an issue? That guy's been riding around on this til about 2 months ago. The steerer has been welded an extension and has been remachined(professionally). Probs best if I change out the fork right?

Anyway, I will be stripping the decals(I think they are painted on), and then clear coating the CF tubes. Ill polish up the aluminium. How long would the polished Al stay nice and shiny? Or should I clear coat those parts as well after polishing?

Anyway, this may sound crazy, but would it be safe to do internal cabling on the top tube? just 2 holes at either end to thread the rear brake houseing in.

dayne

Postby dayne » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Pm sent, I have offered it to Quang so if he dosn't want it ill list it up for sale but i will give him first dibs