Swiss woman 'gang-raped' in central India while on cycletour

elStado

Swiss woman 'gang-raped' in central India while on cycletour

Postby elStado » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:21 am

The woman was camping with her husband at a village in Datia district on Friday during a cycling trip when they were attacked by seven or eight men.

The assailants overpowered the husband before gang-raping his wife.
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-21812849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nasty. It seems that these kinds of incidences are becoming more common in these areas, especially in India. Be careful out there people.

Thankfully it seems that she wasn't too severely injured (physically), so it looks like they will be able to recover from this ordeal unlike recent cases.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

RonK

Re: Swiss woman 'gang-raped' in central India while on cycle

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:57 am

A rather unfortunate final comment you might wish you hadn't made.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:52 am

Camping? In India ???

I've never been there but everybody I've spoken to has said that in India it would be crazy to camp - you'd never get away from the audience :shock: . Accommodation is so cheap throughout South and South-east Asia that you barely need to carry a tent.

Absolutely terrible incident however, hope they soon catch these terrible b#&(*%#*!!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:36 pm

RonK wrote:A rather unfortunate final comment you might wish you hadn't made.
What's that?
il padrone wrote:Camping? In India ???

I've never been there but everybody I've spoken to has said that in India it would be crazy to camp - you'd never get away from the audience :shock: . Accommodation is so cheap throughout South and South-east Asia that you barely need to carry a tent.

Absolutely terrible incident however, hope they soon catch these terrible b#&(*%#*!!
I am always a bit worried about cycle tourers who go to these regions. Sure nasty things can happen anywhere, but it seems to be quite common in these regions.

I really hope that this couple are ok. I can't imagine how horrible it must have been for them. It's a shame that due to inadequate funding, corruption and other factors the local law enforcement are inept or unwilling to do anything about these kinds of offences.. even after all the high profile cases recently!

I've been following Kat and Alex's trip and they are heading towards Iran. Always makes you wonder how they'll go, although by many accounts Iran is actually quite a good place for cycle tourists once you get into the country.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:56 pm

elStado wrote:
What's that?
It was just a few sweeping generalisations I picked up on myself.

Your thread, elStado... have your own last word. Internet victory is yours.
It's a beautiful day outside, I question why I'm at the keyboard in the first place.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:21 pm

elStado wrote:I've been following Kat and Alex's trip and they are heading towards Iran. Always makes you wonder how they'll go, although by many accounts Iran is actually quite a good place for cycle tourists once you get into the country.
Yes. I have read numerous stories of people cycle-touring and travelling in Iran, and all describe the people as the most hospitable of nearly any country - welcoming, friendly, will invite travelers in to stay the night..... and often quite critical of their government's stance towards the West. Nick Danziger's journey in 1983 during the height of the Iranian Revolution stands out in my mind.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:23 pm

elStado wrote:
What's that?
Well I was just thinking that some of the women here might feel your comment she will recover from being raped by a gang of seven or eight men trivialises rape. I'm sure that's not what you intended, but you do need to choose you words carefully. :)

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:48 pm

RonK wrote:
elStado wrote:
What's that?
Well I was just thinking that some of the women here might feel your comment she will recover from being raped by a gang of seven or eight men trivialises rape. I'm sure that's not what you intended, but you do need to choose you words carefully. :)
I read the comment as meaning that at least she was not murdered.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:00 pm

ball bearing wrote:I read the comment as meaning that at least she was not murdered.
+1

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:12 pm

According to the Sunday Mail, eight people have been detained for questioning.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:30 pm

RonK wrote:According to the Sunday Mail, eight people have been detained for questioning.
Good. Hope the book is thrown at them (although my faith in the system isn't great).

I wish this kind of opportunistic mentality could be stamped out.
It is absolute rubbish that they think they can take advantage of a woman (and a couple) in a vulnerable situation when these men would probably be horrified and wanting revenge if someone raped their mother, daughter, sister, wife.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:21 pm

. Out in the countryside, their townships seem strange in that they are literally built on top of each other with large vacant tracts of land all around them ... until you speak to them and understand that they make them that way for security reasons.

Recreational camping or even rural living on large vacant blocks of land is practically non-existent amongst the locals in India for very good reasons ....

On the very few occasions I got caught out in India with no place to stay I felt that it was safer to stay with families if I was in a village area (usually you have to knock back invitations rather than ask people) or to simply (and discreetly) throw a ragged chadar (thin woolen blanket) over my entire body near a wall so that I looked like some other street urchin (which, in hindsight, is probably not the safest option but IMHO, more safe than setting up a tent or some other thing that says "here is a sleeping foreigner" to the locals).

Mr Pumpy gives a concise overview of alternatives for emergency accommodation in asia

I edited his rant just to a few lines for each option but read the link for more details

http://www.mrpumpy.net/BSA-006.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Staying with locals/monasteries/Police Stations Staying anywhere but a Hotel or Guest House means you will sacrifice your privacy, and this needs to be weighed up in your own mind.

After a hard days' ride in full public view, it's nice to be able to kick back in the Hotel room by yourself, take a shower, lie naked on the bed and admire your newly forming deltoid muscles. And perhaps most of all, not talk to anyone for an hour ot two.

However, once in a while you will get caught without lodgings, and there are survivable alternatives.

1. Staying with locals This is pretty easy to organise, and the further you get out into the boonies the easier it gets.

Just walk up and ask! Either they'll say "Sure, pardner! Pull up a piece of floor!" or if they're full up, they'll direct you to another friendly household.

You may be sleeping on the verandah or the lounge room floor, but the family will do their best to make you comfortable.

There's no need to establish a price before hand, as this would be impolite, but you must ALWAYS pay something when you are about to leave.

2. Staying at a Buddhist monastery Most Buddhist monasteries (Wats) will allow you stay the night.

Just ride on in and ask. There's usually plenty of room and the monks will make an effort to make you comfortable.

Buddhist monks themselves don't eat after midday, but they'll usually give you something to eat and drink.

The downside is that you'll need to spend a few hours talking English to the monks, who are usually keen to try out out a few sentences, and while away a few hours being entertained.

3. Staying at the local Police Station This gets easier the further out into the country you go but is somewhat of a last resort.

As above, just walk up and ask. The times I have done it I have generally asked if there is somewhere to stay in the area, and wait for the police to say "No, but you can stay here."

You will probably be shown a bench in the office, or a bed in a cell. The cells can be rather airless and mosquito enhanced, so I actually don't recommend the experience.

Also, the police may insist on you joining them in a late night drinking session, so the whole thing can get a bit too "good ol' boy" for my likings. But, as a last resort, it's survivable.
Go!Run!GAH!

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 pm

RonK wrote:Well I was just thinking that some of the women here might feel your comment she will recover from being raped by a gang of seven or eight men trivialises rape. I'm sure that's not what you intended, but you do need to choose you words carefully. :)
Yes, I read similarly. AFAIK, recovery from rape, let alone from gang rape is not an easy one. Very unfortunate incident in a very interesting country.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:05 am

elStado wrote: I am always a bit worried about cycle tourers who go to these regions. Sure nasty things can happen anywhere, but it seems to be quite common in these regions.
FWIW, I grew up in PNG. It is not so much that these things happen, but that you, obviously not local, and probably a rich foreigner and therefore almost infinitely wealthier and having not much of an idea what you are doing, are a massive target when they do.

It was ok for us while we lived in PNG because we were about as streetwise there and had as many wantoks as a white middle-class expat family could be or have - my dad spoke almost fluent motu which would probably be enough to stun them while we made our escape :lol:. You simply are not if/when you are a tourist (myself included).

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:25 pm

[mod=mikesbytes]A number of people of expressed communication on the wording of the first post and it has been discussed. Lets leave it and move on[/mod]
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:05 pm

trailgumby wrote:
ball bearing wrote:I read the comment as meaning that at least she was not murdered.
+1
+1

- David

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Firing squad.

Castration before this , of course.

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:43 am

Yes.. let's not get too carried away here people. I don't quite see how it could be misinterpreted. Get this straight that my last comment in the OP was saying that it was lucky that they are both still alive after this ordeal considering the horrible and violent experience that they (especially the woman) had been through. I was not trying to trivialise rape in any way shape or form.

My thoughts go out to the couple. I hope that they are looked after well over there and that they catch the right guys (rather than just pinning it to some dumb farmer to look good for the media).

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:03 pm

[mod] OK we are continuing to discuss the wording of the first post, so I'm locking the thread[/mod]