Giro d Perth - The backlane odyessy

clackers

Re: Giro d Perth - The backlane odyessy

Postby clackers » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:16 pm

eldavo wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:And I may try and plug it to a couple of unicycle mates.
Do unicyclists have mates?

:wink:
Yep, just one less than everyone else!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Cryyyyyyy :oops:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:43 pm

How can you cry? You're off on a terrific holiday in France! :mrgreen:

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:30 am

Just had a sqizz at the Facebook page - 500 registrations -fantastic! I'm a solo, mate Tim is no longer riding, bung leg. See you lot there.

gazman

Postby gazman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm

A great morning and Giro d Perth! Some great backlanes, challenging clues and interesting sights tooped off with one of our gruppo winning a raffle prize. Thank you Toby for organising and to all the sponsors - particularly Cyclemania - thanks Wayne.
Looking forward to 2014 and Easter when we will complete all the course.
Great to share everyone's company and clues!

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:20 pm

gazman wrote:A great morning and Giro d Perth! Some great backlanes, challenging clues and interesting sights tooped off with one of our gruppo winning a raffle prize. Thank you Toby for organising and to all the sponsors - particularly Cyclemania - thanks Wayne.
Looking forward to 2014 and Easter when we will complete all the course.
Great to share everyone's company and clues!
I rolled up to the start point about 10ish, few peeps around, didn't see any of my mates (or Wayne) maybe I didn't look hard enough, so I rolled off!!! Will make an effort next year for sure!

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Good fun! Will definitely sign up for it next year.

Didn't manage to finish the 31km course, bu had fun trying to get it done. Thought I knew Perth well and ended up in spots I'd never seen.

Thanks Toby!

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:00 am

Got through two tubes (one was a slow leak from night before though) and killed my mini pump.

That aside, was a pretty cool event. Would be keen to see these events more often.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:09 am

Great fun. Loved finding that large pencil after spending a lot of time around the old school aka Colin's house.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:14 am

Well it was total fun all the way. I did the 31k but with the missed turns, overshot marks and fluffing around looking for the clues I ended up doing 38k! Lost my riding buddy to a bung leg a couple days ago and it was interesting watching how well the teams worked, bit like being a quiz night. I swapped a few clues along the way and towards the end bumped into an old mate who's flogged his yacht and taken up riding.

High point for me was following a couple of middle aged women in lycra into the north entrance to Parliament House. The one in front called back to her companion "Wow, it's so beautiful in here!". It is too. You cruise in after an uphill on Hay St and the vista over the city and the river opens up. No pollies around either. Being led into little corners of Perth you didn't know or hadn't seen for a while was a treat.

Low point was a flat just as I was leaving W Perth. First one I've had in years. The downside of the lanes is they have heaps of lousy litter in them. As low points go it wasn't too bad. I had a shady tree on the edge of Harold Boas Gardens to sit under and dispensed a bit of local wisdom to lost riders while effecting the repair :D

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 am

Yup had a blast as well. We only got just over halfway through but did 50km including riding to the start. I was in the group riding in tweed jackets and ties. Not weather condusive to that kind of clothing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:31 am

Pravda wrote:I was in the group riding in tweed jackets and ties. Not weather condusive to that kind of clothing
Maybe saw you on instagram? There were some good outfits today, lot of green for the Saint, including a couple of girls in green tutu's. I contemplated wool but with with the 'fro cast at 32 I crossgraded to lighter fabric. so glad

answers link

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 am

I was only at about 30% energy but still had a good time. Going to re-do course on bmx soon, skinny tyres be damned! Definitely some cool stuff in the unseen back lanes. Will do it again if there's another one.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 am

@rob It's the price of looking good, though we sweated our asses off.

2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:23 pm

So sad to have missed it, had other commitments and wasn't healthy anyway.

Anyone know what the final turnout was?

gazman

Postby gazman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Code: Select all

@rob It's the price of looking good, though we sweated our asses off. 
Wow, that would have made the ride difficult!!! :wink:

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:45 pm

well this is what my GPS map looked like...
from my blog http://perthcyclist.wordpress.com

Did a video too.

My team of 4 did the 31ks but we did a lot more than 31ks.... and we got back to the finish at 1.45, by which time everyone had cleared out!

Was great fun though. :D
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:16 pm

@jet-ski My team only got halfway through, though we didn't start till 10:20 and bailed out to be back by 1. I agree with your blog post. A bit more thought into how it finished would be great. It's only it's first year so we can give it time but a nice cold beer at the oxford or paddo would have topped the day off nicely I think.

2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Mrs Stealthbike and I attempted the 31 km circuit on our electric bikes. It was great fun and refreshingly different to all other cycling events that we have tried. We bailed out after 3 hours having got very mixed up in Northbridge. I really hope that this event becomes an annual event, thanks to all involved in organising it. Agree with previous posts about the end, it was a bit of an anti-climax. I made some constructive suggestions to the organisers on the day.
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:51 pm

we went for lunch in Leederville afterwards :) we got the most lost in West Perth but after we figured that bit out it was pretty good... tho looking at the answers now there were some that we would have gotten right, if the number of dashes on the map corresponded to the right number of letters! like Dutch Girls in window... or Pot Black ;) anyway I don't want to whinge because it was awesome. I might even make use of some of those backlanes in future
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Shifter

Postby Shifter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Yeah I agree, the event itself was a great idea but could use a little refinement in the clues and directions, that Northbridge section was a mess. Mrs Shifter got fed up in the end, and we didn't complete the 31km circuit (after riding 32km total), and the finish was a bit odd, there didn't seem to be any cohesion, so we bailed soon after we arrived.

All that said, it was worthwhile for me and we could use more organised 'fun' bike events that aren't about racing.

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Obviously a few teething issues being the inaugural event, but (as per my previous post) overall I thought it was good. They got some things absolutely spot on - eg good quality paper for the map/clue sheet, and others not so.

Probably should have been a lot shorter with clues of that nature, or same length but more specific pointers on where to find the answers.

Agree with the comments about the finish being a little of an anti-climax. Perhaps they should have had a few big posters of the answers up so you could check how you went on return? Other ideas for how there could have been more of a buzz for the finish?

I really liked seeing all the different kinds of bikes!

And I'd definitely be keen to see more of these kind of events.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Sprocket wrote:Other ideas for how there could have been more of a buzz for the finish?
I really liked seeing all the different kinds of bikes!
• lots of cool bikes + lots of cool outfits = PRIZES (would be more exciting than the raffle I reckon)
• anything to keep people at the finish for a bit longer would be a bonus and create a bit more buzz - live music / food stands / SHADE!!!

For a first time round there's no doubt that it was a success, one that Toby can bank and build on with riders and sponsors in 2014.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:04 pm

I know it's a family event but perhaps pushing it back later in the day. Say 2pm start and having somewhere for a cheeky drink afterwards would be grand. It would also mean less sweat and sunburn.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:06 pm

2 is the hottest part of the day! :(