Install engine to chopper

micargi

Install engine to chopper

Postby micargi » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Hey I've got a schwinn stingray chopper bike and a 50cc zbox engine. I need help installing it. Can anyone help me with it. Whats the best way. Thanks

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Re: Install engine to chopper

Postby europa » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Mahtassam wrote:Hey I've got a schwinn stingray chopper bike and a 50cc zbox engine. I need help installing it. Can anyone help me with it. Whats the best way. Thanks
Take engine, sell on eBay.
Service Stingray, enjoy bicycle.

You can assume I've no idea how to fit the motor, no idea where where you'd go and only a poor understanding of why you'd inflict this upon yourself, but that's my predjudice and of no concern of yours. Best of luck with your project.
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:18 pm

OMGosh!!! :shock: Europa is ALIVE!!!

Welcome back.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

micargi

Postby micargi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 pm

europa wrote:
Mahtassam wrote:Hey I've got a schwinn stingray chopper bike and a 50cc zbox engine. I need help installing it. Can anyone help me with it. Whats the best way. Thanks

You can assume I've no idea how to fit the motor, no idea where where you'd go and only a poor understanding of why you'd inflict this upon yourself, but that's my predjudice and of no concern of yours. Best of luck with your project.
Thanks for the suggestion...do you know what type of metal the stingray frame is...

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 pm

Mahtassam,
I don't think fitting the motor is too difficult but the other problem may be insurmountable.

I don't know where you are located but it is my understanding that internal combustion engines, such as you are talking about, are no longer legal in most states. This leaves you with nowhere to ride except on private property.

Hi europa. Good to see you back. Wondered where you had got to.

John

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:41 pm

John and the others are right. Why destroy a perfectly good Schwinn? It's worth much more without the engine. If you want to have a stink bike, take a cheap k-mart bike and destroy that as it is likely to have a run of the mill alloy frame that you can butcher to your heart's content. Both will last about the same amount of time (the engine and the frame that is) or about 6 months. If you want a motorised chopper, go get a proper motorbike. You won't find much support for those types of conversions on these sorts of forums (ok you will find the odd person to help). If you're hell bent on doing the unspeakable, then surely the supplier can help you with instructions. If the Schwinn is alloy then it is either heat treated 6061 or some 7000 series alloy (also heat treated). Welding onto these alloys can cause a weak point (stress point) as the heat treating of the alloy is designed to toughen the alloy to make the bike stiffer and more resilient to the stresses of riding. If it is steel then it could be high tensile (high carbon) or else it will be stamped/stickered with Cr-Mo which is high Chome-Molybdenum steel to make it lighter and more corrosion resistant. Good luck welding either of those if you don't have a TIG or a MIG welder with the correct filler rod. The only advice I'm willing to give is to clamp wherever possible.

BTW, bump up your insurance as these contraptions are a health hazard to either you (either directly or indirectly) or to the poor sap that you eventually run into.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Mahtassam

Postby Mahtassam » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:19 pm

Thanks for the advise I'm having second thoughts. I have found a couple people on can make an adaptor so no welding. The other can weld an adaptor to the bike at motorcycle standard. What's your recommendation. Thanks

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:26 pm

Schwinn Stingray is just the same as a Malvern Star Dragstar

Probably just mild steel, or maybe high-tensile steel. No way would I be relying on "welding" anything to do with a motor (even50cc) on to it to be survivable - for the bike and possibly not for yourself :o :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Mahtassam wrote:What's your recommendation. Thanks
Turbo-spoke

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 am

il padrone wrote:Probably just mild steel, or maybe high-tensile steel. No way would I be relying on "welding" anything to do with a motor (even50cc) on to it to be survivable - for the bike and possibly not for yourself :o :(
If it is mild steel then it will be as heavy as lead. Something that long is likely to be high tensile steel. Either way, go for the adaptor that bolts on and use locking nuts. If you find that the brakes aren't up to the extra power then consider some upgrading such as installing an 80 series Shimano roller brake on the front wheel. These are designed for cargo bikes so they should pull you up.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

micargi

Postby micargi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:31 pm

I've got someone to buy the engine! I'm going to buy a pitbike or a scooter now. Thanks for the advice guys!

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Connect the engine to the handlebars, seat and pedals. Not necessarily in that order.

micargi

Postby micargi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Connect the engine to the handlebars, seat and pedals. Not necessarily in that order.
Hahahahahaahahahahahah thanks I'll try that!

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:30 am

europa wrote:

I think I seen a ghost :shock: :shock:

welcome back 8)

Roc_Doc

Postby Roc_Doc » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:15 pm

John Lewis wrote:Mahtassam,
I don't think fitting the motor is too difficult but the other problem may be insurmountable.

I don't know where you are located but it is my understanding that internal combustion engines, such as you are talking about, are no longer legal in most states. This leaves you with nowhere to ride except on private property.

Hi europa. Good to see you back. Wondered where you had got to.

John

John I think it might be worth checking your facts, or doing a little research at least. Your statement that IC powered bicycles are illegal in 'Most states' is just plain wrong. They are perfectly legal in all states except QLD, provided they have a restrictor fitted and can be proven to be less than 200Watts in Power. Two of the main Suppliers, ZBox and Rock Solid, Sell restricted motors that have been Dyno tested. It is a shame that both suppliers, as well as plenty of other cowboy outfits out there sell Engines well in excess of 200W, but the fact remains that with the right testing and paperwork, you are perfectly within your right to rid an IC assisted bicycle.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... bikes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://shop.rocksolidengines.com.au/ind ... t&Itemid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://zbox.com.au/200watt%20bicycle%20engine.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:29 pm

Roc_Doc wrote:...I think it might be worth checking your facts, or doing a little research at least....
This advice is equally valid when looking at the context of the original post. I'm not convinced the OP considered the general reluctance of members of a bicycle forum to provide information which might assist in the construction of a frankenbike abomination such as this.

My advice? Try a motorcycle forum and see how its received there... o__O

Best advice?
europa wrote:

Funniest advice?
il padrone wrote:
Mahtassam wrote:What's your recommendation. Thanks
Turbo-spoke

Roc_Doc

Postby Roc_Doc » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:35 pm

Or if you really wanted to be helpful, you could do about 30 seconds of Google Research and direct interested folks to a Motorised Bicycle forum, such as Motoredbikes.com or Motorbicycling.com

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Not sure why we'd want to help though. The fumes from those badly tuned two-strokes makes me want to gag. It's hard enough mowing the lawns, riding behind one of those things while sucking in lungfuls of air is just a step too far. Urrgh! :x

The advise to connect self to bars, saddle and pedals and fuel with carbs is by far the most sensible. Burn fat, not oil :D

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:54 pm

+1 gumby.

Roc_Doc - you're not affiliated with rock solid engines by any chance?

Roc_Doc

Postby Roc_Doc » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Dan wrote:+1 gumby.

Roc_Doc - you're not affiliated with rock solid engines by any chance?

No Sir, No affiliation at all. Otherwise why would I be mentioning their opposition, ZBox?

Roc_Doc

Postby Roc_Doc » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:35 pm

trailgumby wrote:Not sure why we'd want to help though. The fumes from those badly tuned two-strokes makes me want to gag. It's hard enough mowing the lawns, riding behind one of those things while sucking in lungfuls of air is just a step too far. Urrgh! :x

The advise to connect self to bars, saddle and pedals and fuel with carbs is by far the most sensible. Burn fat, not oil :D

You have hit the nail on the head with the badly tuned two strokes. Now I am a committed lifelong cyclist, and ride whenever I can, I just have no objection to power assistance as long as it is done expertly (i.e. tune your two stroke and use a proper fuel mix!) and legally (dyno tested under 200 watts, and for the love of god, PEDAL!).

The Retailers of IC motors for bicycles are their own worst enemy, and all but encourage the hoon element by selling engines that are too far over the power limit, and a few of the folks on the Motored bicycle forums don't help themselves either. The bottom line for me is that I love cycling, and in 30 years of riding I still do not enjoy going up steep hills and into stiff headwinds. I have tried to enjoy it but the moral victory of tiring myself out and burning a few extra calories is overweighed by the desire for a little help please.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:20 am

Hi Roc_ Doc,
I will go do some checking.
I was told that by local police. I also notice that several motorised bikes that were around here are no longer on the road.
One of them was a motorised trike that a one legged guy rode. He used to only start the motor on hills. Last I saw him he had no motor and told me he had been ordered to remove it.
So yes I will most definitely go check further.
John

Roc_Doc

Postby Roc_Doc » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 pm

John Lewis wrote:Hi Roc_ Doc,
I will go do some checking.
I was told that by local police. I also notice that several motorised bikes that were around here are no longer on the road.
One of them was a motorised trike that a one legged guy rode. He used to only start the motor on hills. Last I saw him he had no motor and told me he had been ordered to remove it.
So yes I will most definitely go check further.
John

The frustrating bit is that the sellers of IC motors cannot supply a small enough motor to do 200 W without restriction (Throttle locks are no good, the NSW regulations states that the restrictor must not be easily removed, hence a restrictor should is fitted to the carby) . Most of the motors in coming out of the box from china have been closer to 1.2KW, and the suppliers (or two of them at least) have only recently started obeying the spirit of the law by providing limited and tested motors. They (the suppliers) were relying on slackness in law enforcement and have made everyone with an IC assisted Bicycle look like a law breaking hoon.

I'd say that most of the motors that have been sold prior to 18 months ago were not been restricted, (Sadly most today are probably not) which Is why I am making my little song and dance about restricted motors. The irony is that when I go on An MB forum many of the contributors are not interested in pedalling, (or pedalling much), and everyone here hates the sight of the things. What did George Orwell say about being a minority of one?

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Wandering from the topic a bit.
A friend told me he saw a couple of German touring cyclists on an ICE assisted tandem the other day. Got me to thinking that that would be much better than electric if you need it in a tour situation. Far greater range and no waiting for or finding somewhere to charge. They definitely have a place.
Some years back we had a Great Ride here run by Bike Vic. I recall one rider had an ICE assist but I never saw it in use as I was a vollie on that one.

My latest silly thought is how would an e assist bike go with a small trailer towing one of those power generator units. One way to maybe keep the battery charged. I don't think a solar cell would be adequate.
Lots of ideas to explore and perhaps test.